Everyone Has Faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2015, 12:56 PM
RE: Everyone Has Faith
(15-03-2015 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 12:06 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Trusting yourself and trusting someone else is faith.

No, I can trust my husband because he's demonstrated his trustworthiness a million times. It's not faith.

If he hadn't we wouldn't be married for 26 years.

If you trust from past experience you have faith that things are going to keep going the same way and not change suddenly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2015, 12:59 PM
[Image: semantic%20image%201.gif]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-03-2015, 01:00 PM
(15-03-2015 12:56 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No, I can trust my husband because he's demonstrated his trustworthiness a million times. It's not faith.

If you trust from past experience you have faith that things are going to keep going the same way and not change suddenly.

No. Just no. Please stop conflating the definitions of the word.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-03-2015, 01:00 PM
I am confident in the fact that my bike won't collapse.
Unless I continue to gain mass.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
15-03-2015, 01:01 PM
[Image: Semantics.png]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-03-2015, 01:06 PM
500 quatloos a claim of close-mindedness will be fired by the OP in less than 10 of his/her posts (assuming he/she continues posting). Self-proclaimed agnostics tend to do that.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
15-03-2015, 01:10 PM
(15-03-2015 12:53 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 12:45 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  Universe exists for 13.8 billion years. That doesn't mean it can't stop existing at any moment.

The observable universe exists since 13.8 billion years. We can only measure the age of the universe after the big bang.
And cannot (yet) measure total time universe will exist. Which means it can end at any moment. Same thing with relationships. Even trusted partner can die at any moment
15-03-2015, 01:12 PM
(15-03-2015 12:56 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No, I can trust my husband because he's demonstrated his trustworthiness a million times. It's not faith.

No, sorry try again. If he suddenly changed, or stopped demonstrating he could be trusted, I'd assume there was a problem or issue behind it.

Faith hasn't a thing to do with that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

(15-03-2015 01:10 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 12:53 PM)Leo Wrote:  The observable universe exists since 13.8 billion years. We can only measure the age of the universe after the big bang.
And cannot (yet) measure total time universe will exist. Which means it can end at any moment. Same thing with relationships. Even trusted partner can die at any moment

[Image: giphy.gif]

[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
(15-03-2015 11:53 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  In reality everyone has faith. You have to have faith in things otherwise you would go insane. You have faith that your bike is going to collapse when you are riding it because it either isn't that common or it hasn't happened to you. Let's get a discussion going on this. BTW, I am agnostic. I am not trying to get atheists to believe in God, I want everyone to be open minded.

I think you've said a couple of times now that you're agnostic. So what? Most of us here are. I curious as to what kind of agnostic you are.

Faith is the acceptance of a proposition without evidence. And in fact can at times be defined as believing in spite of the evidence. Creationists have faith. Rational people do not. Rational people use evidence.

No. I don't have faith in myself. I know myself well enough to know what I'm capable of. That's not faith. It's understanding.
Faith is another word for delusion..