Everyone Has Faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2015, 03:15 PM
RE: Everyone Has Faith
(15-03-2015 03:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 03:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't know about moms but I am getting a headache from all the eye-rolling I've been doing.

[Image: 871.gif]

You just gotta have faith.

Faith that moms is also getting an eyeroll-induced headache?

She can probably control it a bit with a cocktail. I gotta start drinking... Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
15-03-2015, 03:21 PM
(15-03-2015 11:53 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I am not trying to get atheists to believe in God, I want everyone to be open minded.

Fuck off... I'll be as closed minded as I fucking please.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
15-03-2015, 04:55 PM
(15-03-2015 11:53 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  In reality everyone has faith. You have to have faith in things otherwise you would go insane. You have faith that your bike is going to collapse when you are riding it because it either isn't that common or it hasn't happened to you. Let's get a discussion going on this. BTW, I am agnostic. I am not trying to get atheists to believe in God, I want everyone to be open minded.

I don't. Believing that my bike isn't going to collapse is not faith. It has a track record of not collapsing. And I don't claim that it will not collapse, just that it probably won,t collapse. It very well could collapse. That's why its a good idea to pay attention to its condition and maintain it.

I consider it immoral to accept things on faith.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
15-03-2015, 04:58 PM
(15-03-2015 01:25 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 01:17 PM)Leo Wrote:  So your point about faith is ?

This is the question.
Where are you trying to go with this?
A point would be good, numberdigit.

Can you explain what is the difference between faith, trust, and being sure whether you are observing correctly?
15-03-2015, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2015 05:29 PM by pablo.)
(15-03-2015 04:58 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 01:25 PM)pablo Wrote:  This is the question.
Where are you trying to go with this?
A point would be good, numberdigit.

Can you explain what is the difference between faith, trust, and being sure whether you are observing correctly?

Faith: Belief in something without any evidence it is reasonable, or if it even exists.
Trust/confidence: To use the bicycle analogy, I can examine the bike. I can test its roadworthiness by close scrutiny of its various components. Once I am confident the bicycle is sound, I then ride it.
Am I 100% sure the bike won't fail? No, but I'm better off than just jumping on a bike with flat tires, no brakes, and a broken frame.
15-03-2015, 05:21 PM
(15-03-2015 04:58 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Can you explain what is the difference between faith, trust, and being sure whether you are observing correctly?

I'm not pablo (at least I trust I'm not Wink), but I'd like to give my input on this.
Faith: Belief in something for which you, personally, have no evidence. There may very well be evidence for it, but you don't know about it. Christians have faith that their god exists.
Trust: Justified belief based on repeated outcomes. I trust that the sun will rise tomorrow because it has every single day for the past 21+ years I've been alive.
Being sure that you're observing events correctly: The best way to be reasonably sure is to check and recheck your results, make predictions based on them, and then test and retest those predictions.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 3 users Like One Above All's post
15-03-2015, 05:28 PM
(15-03-2015 05:21 PM)One Above All Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 04:58 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Can you explain what is the difference between faith, trust, and being sure whether you are observing correctly?

I'm not pablo (at least I trust I'm not Wink), but I'd like to give my input on this.
Faith: Belief in something for which you, personally, have no evidence. There may very well be evidence for it, but you don't know about it. Christians have faith that their god exists.
Trust: Justified belief based on repeated outcomes. I trust that the sun will rise tomorrow because it has every single day for the past 21+ years I've been alive.
Being sure that you're observing events correctly: The best way to be reasonably sure is to check and recheck your results, make predictions based on them, and then test and retest those predictions.

Based on the OP, I can't be sure I'm pablo either. Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
15-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Faith is believing in something without any evidence for it what so ever.

I do not have faith in anything. Therefor, your statement is wrong.

P.S

Please do not ever tell me what I do and do not think or believe or HOW I believe stuff.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 3 users Like Shadow Fox's post
15-03-2015, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2015 05:53 PM by Nurse.)

Well I guess it would be nice
If I could touch your body
I know not everybody
Has got a body like you, uhh

But I've got to think twice
Before I give my heart away
And I know all the games you play
Because I play them too

Oh but I
Need some time off from that emotion
Time to pick my heart up off the floor
Oh when that love comes down
Without devotion
Well it takes a strong man, baby
But I'm showing you the door

'Cause I gotta have faith
I gotta faith
Because I gotta to have faith faith
I gotta to have faith, faith, faith

Baby
I know you're asking me to stay
Say please, please, please, don't go away
You say I'm giving you the blues
Maybe
You mean every word you say
Can't help but think of yesterday
And another who tied me down to lover boy rules

Before this river
Becomes an ocean
Before you throw my heart back on the floor
Oh baby I reconsider
My foolish notion
Well I need someone to hold me
But I wait for something more

Yes I've gotta have faith
Unh I gotta faith
Because I gotta to have faith, faith, faith

I just got to wait
Because I got to have faith
I gotta have faith
I gotta, gotta, gotta have faith

Before this river
Becomes an ocean
Before you throw my heart back on the floor
Oh baby I reconsider
My foolish notion
Well I need someone to hold me
But I wait for something more

'Cause I've gotta have faith
Unh I gotta faith
Because I gotta to have faith, faith, faith

Fine. I have faith that I won't always be alone. I'm "not unappealing", so I've got that in my favor. I have more reason to believe I'll find another partner (based on my past experiences and what I bring to the table) than believing a poor dude was born of a virgin birth, was hung on a cross and stabbed in the gut, was resurrected three days later, all for my sins, and if I believe that horseshit I'll live forever and ever and if I don't believe I will burn in hell.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
15-03-2015, 05:54 PM
(15-03-2015 12:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Oh goody, word games. We have certainly never seen those around here before.
Word games and sloppy thinking.

Trust in actual persons and things based on probabilities and past experience is not faith. Faith is belief in something for which there is zero evidence.

The canonical example theists often use is faith that a chair will hold you up. But chairs are real, and each of us have extensive experience with them, such that we can spot rickety chairs pretty accurately. God is not real, and no one has any actual experience with him -- only with their subjective response to their idea of god.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post