Everyone Has Faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2015, 05:56 PM
RE: Everyone Has Faith
(15-03-2015 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 12:06 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Trusting yourself and trusting someone else is faith.

No, I can trust my husband because he's demonstrated his trustworthiness a million times. It's not faith.

If he hadn't we wouldn't be married for 26 years.
Also I suspect your husband is a real person with whom you have real conversations and interactions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
15-03-2015, 06:07 PM
(15-03-2015 05:28 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 05:21 PM)One Above All Wrote:  I'm not pablo (at least I trust I'm not Wink), but I'd like to give my input on this.
Faith: Belief in something for which you, personally, have no evidence. There may very well be evidence for it, but you don't know about it. Christians have faith that their god exists.
Trust: Justified belief based on repeated outcomes. I trust that the sun will rise tomorrow because it has every single day for the past 21+ years I've been alive.
Being sure that you're observing events correctly: The best way to be reasonably sure is to check and recheck your results, make predictions based on them, and then test and retest those predictions.

Based on the OP, I can't be sure I'm pablo either. Big Grin

Yeah you are, I'd recognize that face anywhere. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-03-2015, 06:16 PM
(15-03-2015 06:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 05:28 PM)pablo Wrote:  Based on the OP, I can't be sure I'm pablo either. Big Grin

Yeah you are, I'd recognize that face anywhere. Tongue

I bet you say that to all the Orangs. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
15-03-2015, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2015 06:27 PM by true scotsman.)
(15-03-2015 11:53 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  In reality everyone has faith. You have to have faith in things otherwise you would go insane. You have faith that your bike is going to collapse when you are riding it because it either isn't that common or it hasn't happened to you. Let's get a discussion going on this. BTW, I am agnostic. I am not trying to get atheists to believe in God, I want everyone to be open minded.
If this is true then it is a devastating indictment of faith as a means of knowledge. If atheist have faith that there is no God and theists say that they are all categorically wrong then it means that faith is useless as a way of knowing what is true.

Different religions make contradictory claims and accept them on faith. They can't all be right. For instance I believe the Jews do not believe that Jesus was not the Messia and the Muslims believe that he was just a prophet. They each have faith and they can't all be right so at a bare minimum, faith is an unreliable way of knowing anything. Reason enough to reject faith claims.

Faith is not synonymous with hope or trust. When people show up at my door on Saturday, they don't say they hope that Jesus exists or they trust that he exists, they say they know.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
15-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Everyone Has Faith
Faith is trusting without evidence. Atheism is the opposite of that.
15-03-2015, 07:59 PM
(15-03-2015 02:17 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 02:11 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Please define faith and trust for me.

Faith is given blindly. Trust is earned.

But trust can be broken. Just because something is going a certain way doesn't mean it can change suddenly.
15-03-2015, 08:01 PM
(15-03-2015 07:59 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 02:17 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Faith is given blindly. Trust is earned.

But trust can be broken. Just because something is going a certain way doesn't mean it can change suddenly.

I'll type this real slowly so that maybe you can grasp it...trust and faith are not the same thing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

15-03-2015, 08:07 PM
(15-03-2015 08:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 07:59 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  But trust can be broken. Just because something is going a certain way doesn't mean it can change suddenly.

I'll type this real slowly so that maybe you can grasp it...trust and faith are not the same thing.

Okay, but that didn't answer my post to which you replied.
15-03-2015, 08:08 PM
(15-03-2015 08:07 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 08:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I'll type this real slowly so that maybe you can grasp it...trust and faith are not the same thing.

Okay, but that didn't answer my post to which you replied.

There was no question mark. Therefore no question to be answered.

15-03-2015, 08:53 PM
(15-03-2015 07:59 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 02:17 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Faith is given blindly. Trust is earned.

Iron can also be broken. Doesn't mean it's plastic...