Everyone is an Atheist in a Rest Home

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2014, 05:23 AM
Everyone is an Atheist in a Rest Home
Gotta love the elderly. They know what shit is about and if you are a damn fool they will tell you.

They freely acknowledge the only reason they go to church is for the sandwiches and gossip.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Pippen's post
31-03-2014, 05:36 AM
RE: Everyone is an Atheist in a Rest Home
(31-03-2014 05:23 AM)Pippen Wrote:  Gotta love the elderly. They know what shit is about and if you are a damn fool they will tell you.

They freely acknowledge the only reason they go to church is for the sandwiches and gossip.
Interesting, my experience with the elderly is somewhat different; most seem to hope that there is an afterlife.
[+] 1 user Likes mknight's post
31-03-2014, 05:46 AM
(31-03-2014 05:23 AM)Pippen Wrote:  Gotta love the elderly. They know what shit is about and if you are a damn fool they will tell you.

Stop talkin about me behind my back ! Angry ..... Tongue

JK, the older guys I know around here go to meet women and socialize, admit they dont believe the mumbo-jumbo. These guys arent stupid. Wink

The older women on the other hand seem to believe more.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
31-03-2014, 05:58 AM
My parents (79 & 75) seem to get more religious by the day. I think they're brushing up for the final test.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
31-03-2014, 04:09 PM
I don't know why but my grandma (78) keeps saying she wants to die...

I hope it has nothing to do with her conviction of an afterlife, but then again.. what could it be that she wants to die for? She says she's already lived a full life, is that satisfaction, hmmmmm...

I think with old people, some just eventually stop caring about religion. As time goes by, people change and some old people I see just want to sleep, play golf or just stare into a wall. Everybody is different though, but I don't often find overly religious old people, certainly not as feisty as the middle aged ones.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
31-03-2014, 04:28 PM
(31-03-2014 04:09 PM)Freethought Wrote:  I think with old people, some just eventually stop caring about religion. As time goes by, people change and some old people I see just want to sleep, play golf or just stare into a wall.

I think that's the age when they either:
Think it's a waste of time but they still believe.
Think it's a waste of time.
Figured out that and egocentric god doesn't make sense.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
31-03-2014, 09:19 PM
My grandmother is 81 and kept going on about wanting to die... And she believes in an afterlife alright. It was all she could talk about at one point.

But that was before we put her on "happy pills"... she's shut up about it now.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2014, 02:47 PM
(31-03-2014 09:19 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  My grandmother is 81 and kept going on about wanting to die... And she believes in an afterlife alright. It was all she could talk about at one point.

But that was before we put her on "happy pills"... she's shut up about it now.

Hah, I see. I strongly suspect the whole afterlife gimmick is the result of attempting to fill in a gap of happiness. Things that religious people make up like, "what is the meaning & purpose of life", is because not having an answer to that loaded question makes them unhappy. My guess is that's why your grandma was wanting to die, because she was unhappy with her life and wanted to make up another one, and that's probably why she stopped talking about it after the 'happy pills', haha!

Sometimes it makes me sad how religious people are focusing so strongly on their afterlife which isn't true, that they're missing out on the only life there is, the life they're living now Sad

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
02-04-2014, 03:12 PM
(31-03-2014 05:36 AM)mknight Wrote:  

Interesting, my experience with the elderly is somewhat different; most seem to hope that there is an afterlife.

Nah! I'm not quite ready for a rest home IMAO.
I don't really see why any afterlife need be hoped for (?)
Many interpret the Bible as indicating eternal torture for the multitudes.
Not much glee for the old farts there!

Could be some type of reincarnation; I bags coming back as a troglodyte!Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
02-04-2014, 03:18 PM
With regards to an older person just wanting to die, I would compare that to the latter stages of pregnancy when the mother is "just wanting it over with already." She so "sick of this, so tired."
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post