Everyone is an atheist, some just don't know it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2013, 10:54 AM
RE: Everyone is an atheist, some just don't know it
(08-03-2013 07:49 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  But you can program a computer to learn and adapt from their interactions with others--like the computer programmed to beat chess champions.
A friend wrote today to say, "If there is an innate longing in all beings to know their true purpose/destiny, can anyone really be a sincere Atheist?"

I sincerely doubt the existence of gods, because they sincerely lack any compelling evidence for their existence. So I am sincerely an atheist. Question answered, next... Drinking Beverage

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2013, 04:57 PM
PleaseJesus, I am an animal who happens to have more than instinctual thinking processes. Not necessarily the only animal so featured but one of them. I have no purpose or destiny other than to perhaps effect others in a beneficial way. I embrace that and I include all others even the trees and the rocks and mice. Does your violent and intolerant god do so.

I also try to be very sincere, even in anger.
10-04-2013, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 09:28 AM by devilsadvoc8.)
I view Penn's point about stopping at the red light in two ways. Its not only the belief that god will save you from harm but also the point that heaven is supposed to be such a wonderful place. If you believe in eternal bliss in heaven once you've departed from this world why do you bother extending your life here by years when you could be basking in the glory of your god for eternity? By not committing suicide theists are certainly showing that you have some doubt about the existence of god/heaven and its rewards.

(08-03-2013 07:49 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  A friend wrote today to say, "If there is an innate longing in all beings to know their true purpose/destiny, can anyone really be a sincere Atheist?"

I don't follow your friend's logic. The first statement is completely unsupported and the conclusion does not follow from the original statement. Is this just another word game without substance?
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
10-04-2013, 01:08 PM
"Everyone is a Theist, some just deny it."
10-04-2013, 01:19 PM
(10-04-2013 01:08 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  "Everyone is a Theist, some just deny it."

I see what you did there. You replaced a couple words in the original title of the thread. Witty. With that one act, its quite obvious that you have utterly destroyed the OP. Checkmate Atheists courtesy of PJ!
10-04-2013, 01:21 PM
(10-04-2013 01:08 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  "Everyone is a Theist, some just deny it."

Incorrect because nobody is born a theist. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
10-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Yes, . . . everyone is a theist, some just deny it.

Bazinga.
10-04-2013, 03:04 PM

Fair enough. The prime directive is identity, after all. The atheist is willing to surrender ego to the Void. The theist, not so much. Undecided

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
10-04-2013, 05:40 PM
(10-04-2013 09:21 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I view Penn's point about stopping at the red light in two ways. Its not only the belief that god will save you from harm but also the point that heaven is supposed to be such a wonderful place. If you believe in eternal bliss in heaven once you've departed from this world why do you bother extending your life here by years when you could be basking in the glory of your god for eternity? By not committing suicide theists are certainly showing that you have some doubt about the existence of god/heaven and its rewards.
The theist's answer to this line of reasoning is that you do not own your body or your life. They belong to God. Suicide is murder, punishable by damnation, and unforgivable since it is too late to repent once you are dead. (I think the Catholic Church makes an exception if the suicide is mentally deranged.)

Obviously, any church that condoned suicide as a means of getting into heaven would not last long. It's members would either kill themselves off, or else realize the stupidity of it and join a different church.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice Is also great
And would suffice. -- Robert Frost