Everything Else - Global News Tracker

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2018, 03:51 AM
RE: Everything Else - Global News Tracker
(18-03-2018 03:35 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-03-2018 03:22 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If populism is a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups then I would say that this is a good thing.

In an ideal world it would be however in reality populism tends to have heavy racist/regressive/anti-intellectual under currents. Trumpism is a fairly common populist movement.

That's my problem with it. Little people whose concerns are ignored sounds great, but mob who will follow any leader who tells them nice things is closer to the truth in my experience Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2018, 07:50 AM
Man Says He's Not Dead. Court Doesn’t Buy It

"I am officially dead, although I'm alive," the deceased told The Associated Press by phone Friday. "I have no income and because I am listed as dead, I can't do anything."

In fact, Reliu, 63, very nearly couldn't even get back into Romania. It took more than six hours of interrogation just to convince customs officials he wasn't playing a hoax on them, he told local media. They told him it had to be a joke, because he was dead.

Eventually, they let him through — only after measuring the distance between his eyes to compare it with his passport photo, the AP says — but more troubles awaited him inside Romania's borders. His wife had apparently obtained the death certificate after years of silence from him, figuring, according to the Romanian publication, that he had died in an earthquake.

He told the wire service that he had decided to cut off communication after he discovered his wife's infidelity, years after he first left for Turkey in 1992 to work as a cook. He hasn't seen her since the '90s.

Now, here's the capper.

On Thursday, a court in the city of Vaslui rejected his bid to get the death certificate overturned, despite the fact that he appeared in person to plead his case. Reliu had no case to stand on, the court ruled, because his appeal was filed too late.

Multiple media outlets, citing the court, say the ruling is final.

It is unclear where things go from here, or how. His lot is limbo, it appears: banned for life from Turkey, banned from life in Romania, he can't make a living anywhere.

“I am a living ghost," the dead man said.

[Image: eDzIArf.gif?zoom=2] [Image: nhtwGAb.gif?zoom=2]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
18-03-2018, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2018 09:08 AM by Szuchow.)
(18-03-2018 03:35 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-03-2018 03:22 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If populism is a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups then I would say that this is a good thing.

In an ideal world it would be however in reality populism tends to have heavy racist/regressive/anti-intellectual under currents. Trumpism is a fairly common populist movement.

Populism in Poland is all that you described but one can't deny that it were populists who enacted recent successful welfare program (500+) in Poland; even party approaching fascism can make populism at least somewhat good (welfare) so if left were finally to learn something then I think/hope that it would be able to civilize populism somewhat.

Perhaps populism gets bad rep from right wing over utilizing it and left forgetting about masses?

(18-03-2018 03:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-03-2018 03:35 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  In an ideal world it would be however in reality populism tends to have heavy racist/regressive/anti-intellectual under currents. Trumpism is a fairly common populist movement.

That's my problem with it. Little people whose concerns are ignored sounds great, but mob who will follow any leader who tells them nice things is closer to the truth in my experience Dodgy

So smart left wing leader should take a note from right wing politicians and start saying things that sound nice and are true. I don't see why populism couldn't be used as mobilizing tool to fight clergy influence or corruption in politics.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-03-2018, 09:17 AM
(18-03-2018 07:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  On Thursday, a court in the city of Vaslui rejected his bid to get the death certificate overturned, despite the fact that he appeared in person to plead his case. Reliu had no case to stand on, the court ruled, because his appeal was filed too late.

Making him truly "the late Mr. Reliu".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
18-03-2018, 10:42 AM
(18-03-2018 09:01 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  So smart left wing leader should take a note from right wing politicians and start saying things that sound nice and are true. I don't see why populism couldn't be used as mobilizing tool to fight clergy influence or corruption in politics.

The problem is that left-wing populists have as little obligation to say things that are true as right-wing ones. The guys here in SA are *all* left-wing. Politics in SA is so far to the left it's a joke. And left wing populists are all delighted by ideas of nationalizing industries and agriculture etc. They make utopian promises of what they can give the people just as much as any right wing politician.

Anyone who tries to just stick to things that are true and achievable gets completely eclipsed by the far-left or far-right. They are not populists in my book. Populists by definition will hold extreme views, because the mob want simplistic answers. Sure, they might say something against the clergy or corruption, but there will be as little justice and truth in anything they say as anything the right wing says.

Corruption is God's gift to politicians. Politicians everywhere, even the ones who are known to be corrupt, promise to crusade against corruption. If you have sufficient power miraculously it turns out that all your political enemies are engaging in corrupt activities, which you, the fearless leader of the people, have uncovered. Now they must be punished to the full extent of the law!

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-03-2018, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2018 11:06 AM by Szuchow.)
(18-03-2018 10:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-03-2018 09:01 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  So smart left wing leader should take a note from right wing politicians and start saying things that sound nice and are true. I don't see why populism couldn't be used as mobilizing tool to fight clergy influence or corruption in politics.

The problem is that left-wing populists have as little obligation to say things that are true as right-wing ones. The guys here in SA are *all* left-wing. Politics in SA is so far to the left it's a joke. And left wing populists are all delighted by ideas of nationalizing industries and agriculture etc. They make utopian promises of what they can give the people just as much as any right wing politician.

Would be left populists have no obligation to say the truth (though perhaps we should start demanding such from politicians) but neither they are forced to lie. One can be populist without lying as definition is only about concern for ordinary people.

Quote:Anyone who tries to just stick to things that are true and achievable gets completely eclipsed by the far-left or far-right.

Not really. Far left and far right are fringe for a reason even if that fringe is growing now.

Quote:They are not populists in my book. Populists by definition will hold extreme views, because the mob want simplistic answers.

I don't agree. Populism is about showing concern of feigning such concern. Definition (at least one that I provided) says nothing about necessity of holding extreme views.

Quote:Sure, they might say something against the clergy or corruption, but there will be as little justice and truth in anything they say as anything the right wing says.

Again, I disagree. There is nothing in definition of populism that says that it must be bad or unjust.

Quote:Corruption is God's gift to politicians. Politicians everywhere, even the ones who are known to be corrupt, promise to crusade against corruption. If you have sufficient power miraculously it turns out that all your political enemies are engaging in corrupt activities, which you, the fearless leader of the people, have uncovered. Now they must be punished to the full extent of the law!

Still fight against corruption can be part of populist policy and there is nothing in definition of populism that will make such fight fraudulent.

In short - populism isn't fascism, it isn't evil by definition.

ETA: Jan-Werner Müller in his What Is Populism? claims that populism always is against political pluralism and it's only populists who represent nation or Nation, it's also always corrupt. Populism seen as Werner Müller sees it certainly isn't good but one can ask if he is right in defining it way he does.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-03-2018, 11:14 AM
(18-03-2018 09:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-03-2018 07:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  On Thursday, a court in the city of Vaslui rejected his bid to get the death certificate overturned, despite the fact that he appeared in person to plead his case. Reliu had no case to stand on, the court ruled, because his appeal was filed too late.

Making him truly "the late Mr. Reliu".

"I'm a living ghost."

I think this is kind of cool. He could start life over - go to school, learn some new stuff.

Maybe he could become a writer and make up extremely wild experiences and claim them to be true memoirs - like Chuck Barris' Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.
No one could dispute his outlandish stories ... and since he no longer exists, no lible issues.

He should really try to get the most out of life, now that he's dead. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-03-2018, 12:49 PM
(18-03-2018 10:56 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(18-03-2018 10:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  The problem is that left-wing populists have as little obligation to say things that are true as right-wing ones. The guys here in SA are *all* left-wing. Politics in SA is so far to the left it's a joke. And left wing populists are all delighted by ideas of nationalizing industries and agriculture etc. They make utopian promises of what they can give the people just as much as any right wing politician.

Would be left populists have no obligation to say the truth (though perhaps we should start demanding such from politicians) but neither they are forced to lie. One can be populist without lying as definition is only about concern for ordinary people.

Quote:Anyone who tries to just stick to things that are true and achievable gets completely eclipsed by the far-left or far-right.

Not really. Far left and far right are fringe for a reason even if that fringe is growing now.

Quote:They are not populists in my book. Populists by definition will hold extreme views, because the mob want simplistic answers.

I don't agree. Populism is about showing concern of feigning such concern. Definition (at least one that I provided) says nothing about necessity of holding extreme views.

Quote:Sure, they might say something against the clergy or corruption, but there will be as little justice and truth in anything they say as anything the right wing says.

Again, I disagree. There is nothing in definition of populism that says that it must be bad or unjust.

Quote:Corruption is God's gift to politicians. Politicians everywhere, even the ones who are known to be corrupt, promise to crusade against corruption. If you have sufficient power miraculously it turns out that all your political enemies are engaging in corrupt activities, which you, the fearless leader of the people, have uncovered. Now they must be punished to the full extent of the law!

Still fight against corruption can be part of populist policy and there is nothing in definition of populism that will make such fight fraudulent.

ETA: Jan-Werner Müller in his What Is Populism? claims that populism always is against political pluralism and it's only populists who represent nation or Nation, it's also always corrupt. Populism seen as Werner Müller sees it certainly isn't good but one can ask if he is right in defining it way he does.

Mmm. Well, maybe you're right. Some good things have been achieved through appealing to the masses after all - desegregation in America, ending of apartheid here, demonstrations against the Vietnam war...

18-03-2018, 12:55 PM
(18-03-2018 12:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-03-2018 10:56 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Would be left populists have no obligation to say the truth (though perhaps we should start demanding such from politicians) but neither they are forced to lie. One can be populist without lying as definition is only about concern for ordinary people.

Mmm. Well, maybe you're right. Some good things have been achieved through appealing to the masses after all - desegregation in America, ending of apartheid here, demonstrations against the Vietnam war...

Werner Müller aside I think that populism can be good. But how often can translate to is is different matter altogether.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-03-2018, 01:04 PM
(18-03-2018 11:14 AM)kim Wrote:  Maybe he could become a writer and make up extremely wild experiences and claim them to be true memoirs - like Chuck Barris' Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.
No one could dispute his outlandish stories ... and since he no longer exists, no lible issues.

He should really try to get the most out of life, now that he's dead. Shy

Consider

The Reincarnation of Reliu

The Second Coming

Now You Don’t See Me, Now You Do

The How To Disappear Guide for Unhappy Husbands

Honey, I’ll be Right Back and Other Stories

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post