Everything happens for a reason

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2016, 12:57 AM
RE: Everything happens for a reason
No.
Everything happens because of a reason.

Quote:Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2016, 06:44 AM
(24-10-2015 02:07 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Why can't I become rich for the reason that I want to be rich?

because money in politics makes sure money only flows to the already rich and not the potential future rich people
16-01-2016, 07:01 AM
(23-10-2015 04:36 PM)rowan Wrote:  Do people really believe this? Life is totally random.

In what context?

Theists speak an entirely different language than scientific method uses, and stupidly twist the same words science uses to suit a gap filling position.

The reality in science is BOTH, not either or.

There are, in science very deterministic CONDITIONS, climates, that we can assess. We do understand for example the conditions that lead to snowstorms, and hurricanes. The random part is more on the quantum level such as the exact number of snowflakes or raindrops, or the exact paths of the billions of snoflakes or raindrops. Or the exact paths of those storms, that can change in a range over minutes or hours or days.

Weather is a perfect example of how laypeople screw up in logic. I live in a big county, and quite often over the years I will hear people say "That weather reporter was wrong".........I want to scream, "NO YOU MORON, there is a reason they use the language "chance of" and "scattered".

Two words theists twist and get wrong and it really pisses me off are the words "theory" and "law". A theory as science uses it is fact and data based and is very predictable. And "law" is not something humans write like a regulation in congress. "Law" in science is a word we use for observations that have been constantly confirmed over long periods of time.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2016, 07:17 AM
(24-10-2015 02:07 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Why can't I become rich for the reason that I want to be rich?

Read "The Secret" and find out how! Yes some deluded folks believe that. MY father believed that because Eve led Adam astray that any thing that went wrong it was the woman's fault God said so.
16-01-2016, 08:39 PM
(23-10-2015 04:36 PM)rowan Wrote:  Do people really believe this? Life is totally random.
Neither statement is true. Not everything happens for a reason.... yet life is far from random.

I mean, as long as we're rolling with mere assertions.
17-01-2016, 03:01 AM
If it were true that everything happens for a reason, this would point towards some sort of master plan, or something controlling our lives.

I prefer to look at life as a something we have control over ourselves, otherwise 'God' comes into the mix again, and I can't be bothered with that.
17-01-2016, 03:12 AM
(17-01-2016 03:01 AM)Thewonderer Wrote:  I prefer to look at life as a something we have control over ourselves, otherwise 'God' comes into the mix again, and I can't be bothered with that.

We have control over our lives only to certain extent. Even excluding genetic packet with which we were born said control does not appear great for I can decide what I should eat for dinner but getting the job depends on more than my decision, I can decide that I will go for a walk but returning from it while probable is not certain. And there is no need for god when our life is quite highly determined by upbringing, social status and actions of other people.

Believing that we have control over our lives could be cause of indifference to others suffering. Said belief have smell of just world hypothesis, of world where everyone gets what he deserve when real life is far from just and control is sometimes (often?) taken from our hands.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-01-2016, 03:19 AM
(17-01-2016 03:01 AM)Thewonderer Wrote:  If it were true that everything happens for a reason, this would point towards some sort of master plan, or something controlling our lives.

Or causality.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
17-01-2016, 03:24 AM
(17-01-2016 03:12 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 03:01 AM)Thewonderer Wrote:  I prefer to look at life as a something we have control over ourselves, otherwise 'God' comes into the mix again, and I can't be bothered with that.

We have control over our lives only to certain extent. Even excluding genetic packet with which we were born said control does not appear great for I can decide what I should eat for dinner but getting the job depends on more than my decision, I can decide that I will go for a walk but returning from it while probable is not certain. And there is no need for god when our life is quite highly determined by upbringing, social status and actions of other people.

Believing that we have control over our lives could be cause of indifference to others suffering. Said belief have smell of just world hypothesis, of world where everyone gets what he deserve when real life is far from just and control is sometimes (often?) taken from our hands.
Yes but if you did not make it home from your walk I would not say that you died for any particular reason, I am not saying we have control over everything, I am saying that I believe there is no master plan in which everything happens for a reason.
17-01-2016, 03:29 AM
(17-01-2016 03:24 AM)Thewonderer Wrote:  Yes but if you did not make it home from your walk I would not say that you died for any particular reason,

This particular - and primary - reason would be being born Wink.

(17-01-2016 03:24 AM)Thewonderer Wrote:  I am not saying we have control over everything, I am saying that I believe there is no master plan in which everything happens for a reason.

Words I prefer to look at life as a something we have control over ourselves weren't clear enough.

I also don't think that there is some master plan.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.