Evidence Of Absence.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
23-08-2015, 12:26 PM
RE: Evidence Of Absence.
(23-08-2015 12:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 12:02 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  "Alien life, such as microorganisms, has been hypothesized to exist in the Solar System and throughout the universe. This hypothesis relies on the vast size and consistent physical laws of the observable universe. According to this argument, made by scientists such as Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking, it would be improbable for life not to exist somewhere other than Earth."

Sagan and Hawking should have consulted with TBD before making their hypothesis. TBD's conclusion of no aliens makes their hypothesis null.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_life

So they concluded life does exist, or they hypothesize life is probable?

Your reading comprehension is fucking atrocious.

Well they certainly didn't conclude that aliens don't exist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Evidence Of Absence.
(23-08-2015 12:26 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 12:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So they concluded life does exist, or they hypothesize life is probable?

Your reading comprehension is fucking atrocious.

Well they certainly didn't conclude that aliens don't exist.

Facepalm

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
23-08-2015, 01:05 PM
I guess I am not going to get those apologies. Consider

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
23-08-2015, 01:10 PM
(23-08-2015 01:05 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I guess I am not going to get those apologies. Consider

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
23-08-2015, 02:21 PM
(23-08-2015 01:05 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I guess I am not going to get those apologies. Consider

Concluding no aliens is pretty ridiculous when you consider how little we know about our universe. I don't think I was in the wrong for pointing that out.
23-08-2015, 02:34 PM
(22-08-2015 11:13 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I guess I would go further in that I expect all reasonable people to want that congruency, because, as I've pointed out before, if one accepts that knowledge = JTB, and this person also has beliefs they don't consider knowledge, then it follows that they must not think their belief is justified. When a reasonable person realizes he has a belief that is not justified, he discards the fuck out of that thing!

Realizing a belief is not justified, but holding it anyways in not reasonable.
When a reasonable person realises that absolute truth pertaining to physical things cannot be known, they give up on the idea of JTB.
23-08-2015, 02:34 PM
(23-08-2015 02:21 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  

Concluding no aliens is pretty ridiculous when you consider how little we know about our universe. I don't think I was in the wrong for pointing that out.

While you may not technically be wrong to point out the ridiculous things your straw man said, I fail to see how it's relevant to any real discussion...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
23-08-2015, 02:37 PM
(22-08-2015 02:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The example I gave before was the Pythagorean theorem is valid in Euclidean geometry but not in spherical geometry.
I believe this to be true. In fact, I believe it so much I would consider it to be knowledge.
23-08-2015, 02:45 PM
(23-08-2015 02:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 11:13 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I guess I would go further in that I expect all reasonable people to want that congruency, because, as I've pointed out before, if one accepts that knowledge = JTB, and this person also has beliefs they don't consider knowledge, then it follows that they must not think their belief is justified. When a reasonable person realizes he has a belief that is not justified, he discards the fuck out of that thing!

Realizing a belief is not justified, but holding it anyways in not reasonable.
When a reasonable person realises that absolute truth pertaining to physical things cannot be known, they give up on the idea of JTB.

I still contend that JTB is the best thing we have to describe what it means when someone says they "know" something. It's simple and it does the job. We shouldn't have to write a book just to define one word.

If it turns out to be untrue, then you didn't know it.

If you only got it right by a lucky guess, you didn't know it.

If my reasoning is sound, and it's true, then I know it.
23-08-2015, 02:46 PM
(23-08-2015 02:34 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 02:21 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Concluding no aliens is pretty ridiculous when you consider how little we know about our universe. I don't think I was in the wrong for pointing that out.

While you may not technically be wrong to point out the ridiculous things your straw man said, I fail to see how it's relevant to any real discussion...

You fail to see a lot of things....