Evidence Of Absence.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
23-08-2015, 07:11 PM
RE: Evidence Of Absence.
(23-08-2015 07:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 07:03 PM)Free Wrote:  Our resident scientist...

There are a lot of people here who are a lot further along the science train than I am. I'm just a grad student with a lot of time on my hands.

What area of education do you specialize in?

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2015, 07:42 PM
(23-08-2015 07:11 PM)Free Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 07:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  There are a lot of people here who are a lot further along the science train than I am. I'm just a grad student with a lot of time on my hands.

What area of education do you specialize in?

Education? Does fumbling through lab sections count? I've tutored people, here and there...

I am a quantum physicist. Or as much of one as you can call someone who qualified for an MSc this spring and plans to begin a PhD this fall.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
23-08-2015, 07:46 PM
(23-08-2015 07:05 PM)Free Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 07:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, they haven't. They have only been not proven to exist unless counter evidence is presented.

And what counter evidence would you provide against something that has no evidence to support its existence?

It depends on the claim.

If someone claims they saw a pack of jackals roaming the downtown streets, surveillance video would show that it was not true.

If someone claimed to see a flock of flying pigs, the evidence is that it is not physically possible for pigs to fly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2015, 07:53 PM
(23-08-2015 07:42 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 07:11 PM)Free Wrote:  What area of education do you specialize in?

Education? Does fumbling through lab sections count? I've tutored people, here and there...

I am a quantum physicist. Or as much of one as you can call someone who qualified for an MSc this spring and plans to begin a PhD this fall.

Curious ...

What drives you to this field of expertise? What are you looking for? What is the ultimate prize that you would want to discover with this advanced education?

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
23-08-2015, 07:55 PM
(23-08-2015 07:00 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 02:46 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  You fail to see a lot of things....

I have barely interacted with you.

I'm curious; could you name some of those things for me?

Are you able to see the obvious logical fallacies being committed by free and TBD?

Chas admits that he sees them. Do you see them?
23-08-2015, 08:05 PM
(23-08-2015 06:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 04:50 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I don't think we'll ever be in agreement on this, but I think you have a justified true belief that Pythagorean theorem is true. Big Grin

Not in spherical geometry.

But a JTB in Euclidean geometry? Unsure

I have a few other questions if you're interested....

Do you hold any beliefs that aren't knowledge?

Can we have empirical knowledge about the universe?

Is there any chance you would care to further elaborate on how someone can know something without believing it? Can you think of any other good examples to help show it?
23-08-2015, 08:07 PM
(23-08-2015 07:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 07:05 PM)Free Wrote:  And what counter evidence would you provide against something that has no evidence to support its existence?

It depends on the claim.

If someone claims they saw a pack of jackals roaming the downtown streets, surveillance video would show that it was not true.

If someone claimed to see a flock of flying pigs, the evidence is that it is not physically possible for pigs to fly.

I don't think these are great analogies to compare to something that has no evidence for its existence at all, such as the God claim. I mean we know pigs exist, albeit, they don't fly. And jackals exist. We can counter or confirm those things. They can be falsified and/or proven.

But the positive claim of existence of God is unfalsifiable save for the Evidence of Absence, and unprovable due to no physical or demonstrable evidence.

The positive claim that there is a possibility that God could exist lacks the exact same evidence required to support the positive claim that God does exist.

Hence, both the proposed possibility and the asserted actuality of the existence of God lack even a shred of evidence to qualify either as being an existence.

How do we claim that something is possible when it lacks any and all evidence for its existence?

I don't understand. It simply ... doesn't parse.

23-08-2015, 08:08 PM
(23-08-2015 07:55 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 07:00 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I have barely interacted with you.

Are you able to see the obvious logical fallacies being committed by free and TBD?

Don't speak for Chas.

He said he doesn't agree with things we differ on. He expresses opinions.

23-08-2015, 08:08 PM
(23-08-2015 07:55 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 07:00 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I have barely interacted with you.

Ah, so that's where you were going. Let us first consider a hypothetical. Would my omission of certain topics in my brief post constitute, to you, evidence that I failed to see them? Would that not be painfully ironic given the topic of the thread?

You see, the post of mine which you were responding to constituted only my reaction to your blatant dishonesty. It made no claim as to what I thought of anything else. I have previously disagreed strongly with Free on the nature of evidence and proof; I don't recall ever discussing the topic at any length with BeardedDude.

Lastly, however, if you are trying to actually discuss something, it would be better to make it explicit, instead of settling for chickenshit allusions.

... this is my signature!
23-08-2015, 08:09 PM
(23-08-2015 08:05 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Is there any chance you would care to further elaborate on how someone can know something without believing it? Can you think of any other good examples to help show it?

1 + 1 = 2.

Do you believe it? Does it require faith?

Or do you know it?