Evidence Of Absence.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
23-08-2015, 10:15 AM
RE: Evidence Of Absence.
(23-08-2015 10:12 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:10 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Fuck you're stupid. I point out your straw man and you immediately play it as me being the dishonest one.

Your words, not mine pal. Cool

(22-08-2015 10:13 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "...except I don't think we can conclude that aliens don't exist."

Then you don't understand burden of proof. The only logical conclusion until the burden of proof is met, is nonexistence/non-ocurrence.

If I hypothesize that a virus killed off the dinosaurs, we can easily test for what happened. With no evidence to support my hypothesis of a virus killing the dinosaurs, we should conclude that it is not possible (through a complete and utter lack of support and evidence) that the virus killed the dinosaurs. Even though it is not implausible.

Now, look at the same example, but substitute aliens.

Yeah, I am aware of my words. Now, where the fuck did I say "...everything not known to exist, is known to not exist."?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2015, 10:15 AM
TBD, this can all be over quickly if you're willing to admit your error.
23-08-2015, 10:16 AM
(23-08-2015 10:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:12 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Your words, not mine pal. Cool

Yeah, I am aware of my words. Now, where the fuck did I say "...everything not known to exist, is known to not exist."?

Well, I bolded and enlarged those words.
23-08-2015, 10:17 AM
(23-08-2015 10:16 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Yeah, I am aware of my words. Now, where the fuck did I say "...everything not known to exist, is known to not exist."?

Well, I bolded and enlarged those words.

You bolded and enlarged YOUR words that are a straw man of anything I have said.

-Rick
23-08-2015, 10:17 AM
(23-08-2015 10:15 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  TBD, this can all be over quickly if you're willing to admit your error.

It could be very quickly if you'd stop being a dishonest douchebag.

-Rick
23-08-2015, 10:18 AM
(23-08-2015 10:17 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:16 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Well, I bolded and enlarged those words.

You bolded and enlarged YOUR words that are a straw man of anything I have said.

No, they are your words, I just highlighted them.
23-08-2015, 10:19 AM
(23-08-2015 10:18 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:17 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You bolded and enlarged YOUR words that are a straw man of anything I have said.

From where? Show me where I said that.

I can't imagine you being dishonest and making straw men or misinterpreting/misrepresenting something someone said.

-Rick
23-08-2015, 10:23 AM
The only logical conclusion until the burden of proof is met, is nonexistence/non-occurrence = ..everything not known to exist, is known to not exist

These two statement say the same thing. You are saying that if we can't prove existence, then we must conclude nonexistence, and this is a logical fallacy.
23-08-2015, 10:23 AM
(23-08-2015 10:18 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:17 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You bolded and enlarged YOUR words that are a straw man of anything I have said.

I mean, are you so stupid and dishonest that you don't even realized that you DIDN'T highlight those words from anything I said. I bolded them from what YOU said of my position (the straw man) in this post.

-Rick
23-08-2015, 10:25 AM
(23-08-2015 10:23 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  The only logical conclusion until the burden of proof is met, is nonexistence/non-occurrence = ..everything not known to exist, is known to not exist

These two statement say the same thing. You are saying that if we can't prove existence, then we must conclude nonexistence, and this is a logical fallacy.

Where did I say that?

-Rick