Evidence Of Absence.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
23-08-2015, 10:26 AM
RE: Evidence Of Absence.
(23-08-2015 10:23 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:18 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  No, they are your words, I just highlighted them.

I mean, are you so stupid and dishonest that you don't even realized that you DIDN'T highlight those words from anything I said. I bolded them from what YOU said of my position (the straw man) in this post.

I'm sorry, you must not have clicked on the "snip".

I'm talking about these words, "The only logical conclusion until the burden of proof is met, is nonexistence/non-ocurrence."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2015, 10:28 AM
(23-08-2015 10:26 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:23 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I mean, are you so stupid and dishonest that you don't even realized that you DIDN'T highlight those words from anything I said. I bolded them from what YOU said of my position (the straw man) in this post.

I'm sorry, you must not have clicked on the "snip".

I'm talking about these words, "The only logical conclusion until the burden of proof is met, is nonexistence/non-ocurrence."

Where did I say that the "...everything not known to exist, is known to not exist."?

Because you just highlighted something I said that ISN'T that. At all.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
23-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Do you understand why I explicitly did NOT use the word KNOWN in reference to the statement I actually made?

THAT is the straw man you are making you twit. You are twisting my words into something I did NOT say.

-Rick
23-08-2015, 10:31 AM
(23-08-2015 10:28 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:26 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I'm sorry, you must not have clicked on the "snip".

Where did I say that the "...everything not known to exist, is known to not exist."?

Right here: "The only logical conclusion until the burden of proof is met, is nonexistence/non-occurrence."

You used different words, but the meaning and implications are the same.
23-08-2015, 10:36 AM
(23-08-2015 10:31 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:28 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Where did I say that the "...everything not known to exist, is known to not exist."?

Right here: "The only logical conclusion until the burden of proof is met, is nonexistence/non-occurrence."

They aren't the same. That is the straw man. You are assuming you know something about what I actually did say, and you twist it into what you want.

-Rick
23-08-2015, 10:37 AM
I choose my words carefully. So when you misrepresent what I say by injecting words I did NOT use, you change the meaning of what I said. And when you quote-mine/cherry pick what I say, you dishonestly and deceptively manipulate the meaning of my words.

Fuck off with your dishonest bullshit.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
23-08-2015, 10:42 AM
(23-08-2015 10:36 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:31 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Right here: "The only logical conclusion until the burden of proof is met, is nonexistence/non-occurrence."

They aren't the same. That is the straw man. You are assuming you know something about what I actually did say, and you twist it into what you want.

Do you really think it makes it any better if I change my quote to: everything not proven to exist, is concluded to not exist?

The same fallacy applies. It really doesn't help your case at all. In this context we equate "proven" and "concluded" with "known" anyways. If something has been concluded, it is because it has been proven. If something has been proven, we know it.
23-08-2015, 10:45 AM
(23-08-2015 10:42 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  In this context we equate "proven" and "concluded" with "known" anyways.

No. You equate them.

And you are wrong to do so.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
23-08-2015, 10:45 AM
(23-08-2015 10:42 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:36 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  They aren't the same. That is the straw man. You are assuming you know something about what I actually did say, and you twist it into what you want.

Do you really think it makes it any better if I change my quote to: everything not proven to exist, is concluded to not exist?

The same fallacy applies. It really doesn't help your case at all. In this context we equate "proven" and "concluded" with "known" anyways. If something has been concluded, it is because it has been proven. If something has been proven, we know it.

Yes, it actually is closer to what I am saying. Because you don't require absolute knowledge or proof in order to draw a conclusion. One only need enough information (or a paucity of enough expected information demonstrating proof positive) to draw a conclusion.

Now, fuck off with your dishonest bullshit.

Where is that apology? You also never apologized for all of the other examples of dishonesty I pointed out in your "Absence of Evidence" thread.

-Rick
23-08-2015, 10:48 AM
(23-08-2015 10:45 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:42 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  In this context we equate "proven" and "concluded" with "known" anyways.

No. You equate them.

And you are wrong to do so.

exactly. He fails to understand that when he injects his own bias into other people's words to manipulate them, he completely misrepresents what they are saying.

Straw Man 101

-Rick