https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

[Image: Logical-Fallacies-strawman-620x391.jpg]

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2015, 10:50 AM
RE: Evidence Of Absence.
(23-08-2015 10:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Fucking Will, he’s gonna get us all killed.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
23-08-2015, 10:50 AM
So, when you change my words in my posts, you change their meaning to what you want them to say and construct a straw man of what I did NOT say or imply.

-Rick
23-08-2015, 10:51 AM
(23-08-2015 10:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Fucking Will, he’s gonna get us all killed.

It's always Will. That asshole doesn't understand anything.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
23-08-2015, 10:54 AM
It amazes me how people will attribute entire quotes to another when it is so blatantly clear, in black and white, that they made it up as they went. I wonder why MF didn’t just use your actual quote. Consider Oh yeah, it makes it harder to refute.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
23-08-2015, 10:55 AM
(23-08-2015 10:54 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  It amazes me how people will attribute entire quotes to another when it is so blatantly clear, in black and white, that they made it up as they went. I wonder why MF didn’t just use your actual quote. Consider Oh yeah, it makes it harder to refute.

Straw men always are easier to refute.

-Rick
23-08-2015, 10:56 AM
TBD, do you still think that we should conclude that aliens don't exist?
23-08-2015, 10:58 AM
(23-08-2015 10:56 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  TBD, do you still think that we should conclude that aliens don't exist?

The only logical conclusion is they don't exist until evidence of their existence is presented (alien life is plausible, gods are not). I have fucking said that multiple times.

I am still amazed by what you said in this post. "If you think this, then you have zero understanding of logic and the scientific method."

Where you imply you know more about science and the scientific method than a scientist. Kind of arrogant, no?

-Rick
23-08-2015, 11:01 AM
(23-08-2015 10:58 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:56 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  TBD, do you still think that we should conclude that aliens don't exist?

The only logical conclusion is they don't exist until evidence of their existence is presented (alien life is plausible, gods are not). I have fucking said that multiple times.

I am still amazed by what you said in this post. "If you think this, then you have zero understanding of logic and the scientific method."

Where you imply you know more about science and the scientific method than a scientist. Kind of arrogant, no?

In one breath you say that aliens are plausible, and in another you say that you have concluded that aliens don't exist.

Yes, I know much more about the scientific method than you because you can't tell the difference between absence of evidence and evidence of absence. This is a fundamental mistake in critical reasoning.
23-08-2015, 11:02 AM
(23-08-2015 11:01 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:58 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The only logical conclusion is they don't exist until evidence of their existence is presented (alien life is plausible, gods are not). I have fucking said that multiple times.

In one breath you say that aliens are plausible, and in another you say that you have concluded that aliens don't exist.

Yes, I know much more about the scientific method than you because you can't tell the difference between absence of evidence and evidence of absence. This is a fundamental mistake in critical reasoning.

Holy hell, you don't know what the word "plausible" means. 0_o

plau·si·ble
ˈplôzəb(ə)l/
adjective
(of an argument or statement) seeming reasonable or probable.

Example: Life exists on Earth, so it is reasonable or probable that life could exist elsewhere in the universe. But no evidence of this yet exists, so it would be illogical to conclude that life does exist elsewhere, which is why we continue to look for life elsewhere. Perhaps one day evidence will allow us to draw a different conclusion.

-Rick