Evidence? Screw that!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 10:17 AM
RE: Evidence? Screw that!
(22-07-2014 10:14 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 03:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  If you are one of those who's a wishful thinker then you're pretty susceptible to religion, and likewise religion can induce wishful thinking - feedback loop. Self sustaining.

No no. Atheism is wishful thinking.

You're not even trying to justify your assertions or back up what you say. What's sent you back into troll mode all of a sudden? At least before you were trying to think things through.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2014, 10:20 AM
(22-07-2014 10:17 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 10:14 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  No no. Atheism is wishful thinking.

You're not even trying to justify your assertions or back up what you say. What's sent you back into troll mode all of a sudden? At least before you were trying to think things through.

Troll mode? No. I'm here because I want to find out how you can deny the depressing truth so stupidly.

Truth seeker.
22-07-2014, 10:24 AM
(22-07-2014 10:14 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 03:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  If you are one of those who's a wishful thinker then you're pretty susceptible to religion, and likewise religion can induce wishful thinking - feedback loop. Self sustaining.

No no. Atheism is wishful thinking.

Please, go on and explain this. Preferably without resorting to redefining atheism into a strawman position. How exactly is not believing in something based on a lack of evidence "wishful thinking"? It seems like the exact opposite.
22-07-2014, 10:25 AM
(22-07-2014 10:24 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 10:14 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  No no. Atheism is wishful thinking.

Please, go on and explain this. Preferably without resorting to redefining atheism into a strawman position. How exactly is not believing in something based on a lack of evidence "wishful thinking"? It seems like the exact opposite.

Evidence? Where's your evidence that our minds can be trusted? Oh right, there isn't any.

Truth seeker.
22-07-2014, 10:27 AM
(22-07-2014 10:20 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Troll mode? No. I'm here because I want to find out how you can deny the depressing truth so stupidly.

And why do you want to do that?
22-07-2014, 10:30 AM
(22-07-2014 10:27 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 10:20 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Troll mode? No. I'm here because I want to find out how you can deny the depressing truth so stupidly.

And why do you want to do that?

I don't want to believe that all humans are sinful, evil, animals destined for hell, but it's the only position that makes sense.

Truth seeker.
22-07-2014, 10:35 AM
(22-07-2014 10:25 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 10:24 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Please, go on and explain this. Preferably without resorting to redefining atheism into a strawman position. How exactly is not believing in something based on a lack of evidence "wishful thinking"? It seems like the exact opposite.

Evidence? Where's your evidence that our minds can be trusted? Oh right, there isn't any.

.... and, uh, even if I were to grant that we can't entirely trust our noodles (and I do grant that, to a degree, just not to the degree you seem to take it)... what does that have to do with atheism? Doesn't that cut against theism JUST as strongly, if not more strongly? If anything, basing conclusions on external evidence and withholding belief until such evidence is discovered reduces our reliance upon our fallible minds and somewhat diminishes the problem. If we can't trust our minds when they conclude that the existence of deities is not to be credited, why should we suddenly start trusting our minds if we reached the conclusion that a deity did exist? The problem of soft solipsism has nothing to do with theism/atheism. Nothing at all. It's like pointing to the difference between blue and green and arguing that this is proof of God. Totally irrelevant red herring.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
22-07-2014, 10:37 AM
(22-07-2014 10:30 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 10:27 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  And why do you want to do that?

I don't want to believe that all humans are sinful, evil, animals destined for hell, but it's the only position that makes sense.

Bollocks. You're trolling. You've come out with this plenty of times before and backed it up with a sob story. Yeah OK you're screwed up but plenty of people are screwed up. The difference is that they at least try to sort their lives out. You're not even trying. You're wallowing in it. It's why you ignore what people say and ask the same questions over and over again as if it's the first time that we have heard it from you.

It isn't. You and I both know that your feeble excuses about logic are just that.
22-07-2014, 10:38 AM
(22-07-2014 10:35 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 10:25 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Evidence? Where's your evidence that our minds can be trusted? Oh right, there isn't any.

.... and, uh, even if I were to grant that we can't entirely trust our noodles (and I do grant that, to a degree, just not to the degree you seem to take it)... what does that have to do with atheism? Doesn't that cut against theism JUST as strongly, if not more strongly? If anything, basing conclusions on external evidence and withholding belief until such evidence is discovered reduces our reliance upon our fallible minds and somewhat diminishes the problem. If we can't trust our minds when they conclude that the existence of deities is not to be credited, why should we suddenly start trusting our minds if we reached the conclusion that a deity did exist? The problem of soft solipsism has nothing to do with theism/atheism. Nothing at all. It's like pointing to the difference between blue and green and arguing that this is proof of God. Totally irrelevant red herring.

If you believe our minds can't be trusted, you don't.

Truth seeker.
22-07-2014, 10:41 AM
(22-07-2014 10:37 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 10:30 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  I don't want to believe that all humans are sinful, evil, animals destined for hell, but it's the only position that makes sense.

Bollocks. You're trolling. You've come out with this plenty of times before and backed it up with a sob story. Yeah OK you're screwed up but plenty of people are screwed up. The difference is that they at least try to sort their lives out. You're not even trying. You're wallowing in it. It's why you ignore what people say and ask the same questions over and over again as if it's the first time that we have heard it from you.

It isn't. You and I both know that your feeble excuses about logic are just that.

I see you've finally resorted to ad homenims. Pity, you were doing so well. I actually thought you might be able to help me. Hobo

Truth seeker.