Evidence against divine inspiration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2017, 08:52 AM
RE: Evidence against divine inspiration
(26-01-2017 08:44 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  That's not enough I need actual evidence that the bible is not divinely inspired

Which bible?

There are multiple versions. All contain mistakes. Those two factors alone repudiate divine inspiration.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
26-01-2017, 08:54 AM
At work.
(26-01-2017 08:51 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 08:46 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Why would you start with the assumption that any book is true unless evidence exists that it isn't? The book is the claim and there needs to be supporting evidence before it can be believed, not the other way around.

As Aaron Ra likes to say, the claims fall into 2 categories: not evidently true and evidently not true. There is good reason, for example, to believe that virtually all of Genesis and Exodus is mythology. If a god inspired it then it was a god that likes fiction.

And I need to know if divine inspiration is evidently not true

There is, indeed, zero 0 evidence for any sort of divine inspiration. You've got that right. Thumbsup
(26-01-2017 08:51 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  And I need to know if divine inspiration is evidently not true

We're going in circles here.

Let's start again, with this as the fundamental for your question: what evidence would you accept that the bible is not divinely inspired?
(26-01-2017 08:51 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  And I need to know if divine inspiration is evidently not true

Are you discussing these issues elsewhere?

With these threads you keep starting, it sounds like you're coming here for answers while you're having a debate/discussion elsewhere.

I ask out of curiosity.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
(26-01-2017 08:50 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 08:44 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  That's not enough I need actual evidence that the bible is not divinely inspired

You're trying to prove a negative. Can't be done.

Have a look through this thread, the openning post (yes, it's mine) starts like this:
----------------------------------------
Before one uses the bible and scripture as an argument for the existence of God, the theist must prove the following:
1. That there is a God
2. That there is only one God
3. That this singular God is either the author of, or inspiration for, the bible
4. That God had a son named Jesus
5. That the stories, God's instructions and Jesus' teachings have been copied down, perfectly, by scribes some 2000 years ago
6. That those instructions have not been changed or modified in any form, through translation or copy errors, since their inception.

Only once each and every one of those proofs have been met, can the bible be used as an argument.

It seems to me that 1 through 5 cannot be proven, and we already know that the bible has been modified numerous times to fit certain political, social, cultural, economic and military aims throughout history.

----------------------------------------

Do you have any proof to back up the bible being changed
26-01-2017, 08:55 AM
(26-01-2017 08:38 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Is there proof or at least evidence against the bible being the inspired word of god

Sure, Genesis rips off ancient Babylonian mythology, do you believe Babylonian mythology is inspired by Apsu or Enlil?

Because the Genesis narrative is derived from that mythology, obviously Apsu, Ea, or Enlil should be the gods that you should look to for the source of this "divine inspiration".

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
26-01-2017, 08:55 AM
(26-01-2017 08:38 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Is there proof or at least evidence against the bible being the inspired word of god

The bible is the proof that it wasn't inspired by a god.
It also wasn't inspired by a talking squirrel or a deep thinking rock.

It contains countless lies and contradictions and let's not forget about all the human errors that have been added to the 40,000 + versions over the ages.

Did this same god inspire all those mistakes and errors ?

Or is it MORE likely that men cobbled together letters and decided by committee what would be included in a bible and what wouldn't ? Because that's what happened.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
26-01-2017, 08:56 AM
(26-01-2017 08:54 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

There is, indeed, zero 0 evidence for any sort of divine inspiration. You've got that right. Thumbsup

That doesn't rule it out, I need evidence that rules it out
26-01-2017, 08:56 AM
(26-01-2017 08:51 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 08:46 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Why would you start with the assumption that any book is true unless evidence exists that it isn't? The book is the claim and there needs to be supporting evidence before it can be believed, not the other way around.

As Aaron Ra likes to say, the claims fall into 2 categories: not evidently true and evidently not true. There is good reason, for example, to believe that virtually all of Genesis and Exodus is mythology. If a god inspired it then it was a god that likes fiction.

And I need to know if divine inspiration is evidently not true

You have some trouble with accepting answers that you don't like it seems.

There is no evidence of something called god existing so it follows that Bible couldn't be divinely inspired.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-01-2017, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2017 09:02 AM by Bucky Ball.)

How about you get your lazy ass to work, and look up the notion of "divine inspiration", and study it, instead of having other people do your homework. The notion that the Bible was "divinely inspired" arose at a particular place in the history of human literature.

When Timothy said "All scripture is *god-breathed*, there was no canon of scripture established yet, so he just meant *all holy writings*, not the Bible.

Before one even begins to think about the subject, it has to be defined and examined. Why is it even worth thinking about ?

Get busy, child. And BTW, why is it you "need evidence" for one thing or another ? Are you such an intellectual wimpy thang you can't critically think for yourself.

The Hebrews believed in all sorts of "divine beings". Which one are you even talking about ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post