Evidence against divine inspiration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2017, 02:04 PM
RE: Evidence against divine inspiration
(26-01-2017 02:02 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  How do you explain this from Wikipedia "The New Testament has been preserved in more than 5,800 Greek manuscripts, 10,000 Latin manuscripts and 9,300 manuscripts in various other ancient languages including Syriac, Slavic, Ethiopic and Armenian. There are approximately 300,000 textual variants among the manuscripts, most of them being the changes of word order and other comparative trivialities.[85][86] Thus, for over 250 years, New Testament scholars have argued that no textual variant affects any doctrine. Professor D. A. Carson states: "nothing we believe to be doctrinally true, and nothing we are commanded to do, is in any way jeopardized by the variants. This is true for any textual tradition. The interpretation of individual passages may well be called in question; but never is a doctrine affected."[85][87]"

Wikipedia is not a legitimate source, as anyone can go in and change things as they see fit.

Use a Wikipedia source for a real academic paper and you'll get laughed out of your supervisor's office.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2017, 02:07 PM
(26-01-2017 08:38 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Is there proof or at least evidence against the bible being the inspired word of god

Any god worth it's salt wouldn't want to take any credit for inspiring that load of shit.
[+] 1 user Likes Manic's post
26-01-2017, 02:10 PM
(26-01-2017 02:04 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 02:02 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  How do you explain this from Wikipedia "The New Testament has been preserved in more than 5,800 Greek manuscripts, 10,000 Latin manuscripts and 9,300 manuscripts in various other ancient languages including Syriac, Slavic, Ethiopic and Armenian. There are approximately 300,000 textual variants among the manuscripts, most of them being the changes of word order and other comparative trivialities.[85][86] Thus, for over 250 years, New Testament scholars have argued that no textual variant affects any doctrine. Professor D. A. Carson states: "nothing we believe to be doctrinally true, and nothing we are commanded to do, is in any way jeopardized by the variants. This is true for any textual tradition. The interpretation of individual passages may well be called in question; but never is a doctrine affected."[85][87]"

Wikipedia is not a legitimate source, as anyone can go in and change things as they see fit.

Use a Wikipedia source for a real academic paper and you'll get laughed out of your supervisor's office.

So you're best excuse is because it's from Wikipedia it isn't true?
26-01-2017, 02:12 PM

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Whose doctrine? You might ask yourself why there are thousands of different Christian denominations, each with its own "doctrine". You can't claim with a straight face that "doctrine" is some solid rock that never changes. Christians can't even agree on what it is.
26-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Again I ask are there any MAJOR changes to the New Testament, no mistranslations, no spelling changes, no slight alterations that don't mean shit, actual fuckin changes that actually matter
26-01-2017, 02:17 PM
(26-01-2017 02:10 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  So you're best excuse is because it's from Wikipedia it isn't true?

I'm saying that if there's a conflict between actual hard data, vetted by professionals and studied independently by people who make these things their life's work, or a Wikipedia source that can be changed by anyone with a keyboard, I'll go with the professional source. I like facts, peer-reviewed and subject to revision on good data. I'm funny like that.

(26-01-2017 02:16 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Again I ask are there any MAJOR changes to the New Testament, no mistranslations, no spelling changes, no slight alterations that don't mean shit, actual fuckin changes that actually matter
It's already been provided, repeatedly.
26-01-2017, 02:22 PM
YOU HAVENT PROVED A GOD DAMN THING TO ME!!!!!
26-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Ask, do you want the Bible to be the word of a god or not? You're quite obviously either flailing around trying to dump a faith you don't want, or flailing around looking for reasons to believe. Either way you are flailing.

Asking us for answers simply is not going to help you, because you reject everything we offer. You have to do this alone. Accordingly, I'm out.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Astreja's post
26-01-2017, 02:28 PM
(26-01-2017 02:22 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  YOU HAVENT PROVED A GOD DAMN THING TO ME!!!!!

Of course not. You were asking for proof of a negative. It's impossible to prove a negative. So you got exactly what you asked for.

BTW... seems your caps lock is stuck again. Spill some orange juice on it? Perhaps a new keyboard is in order. Here, try this: PC Keyboards

And then this: Universal Keyboard Cover

You're welcome.
[+] 4 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
26-01-2017, 02:29 PM
(26-01-2017 02:16 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Again I ask are there any MAJOR changes to the New Testament, no mistranslations, no spelling changes, no slight alterations that don't mean shit, actual fuckin changes that actually matter

Have you been paying attention? Just a few posts back, someone mentioned a rather large addition to the end of Mark's Gospel, and a whole story inserted into John's Gospel. You don't consider those major changes? How about the fact that a committee of ordinary humans voted on which books should be included in the New Testament? Are you aware that some of those books barely made it, and some others barely didn't? Are you aware that just a century or so later, the book of Revelation (Apocalypse in some Catholic Bibles) was almost excluded, and had to be rescued by the Pope breaking a tie in favor of keeping it? The contents of the New Testament are a lot more arbitrary than you realize.

Oh by the way: a good percentage of the Epistles of "Paul" were not written by Paul. This isn't some wacky theory -- almost all Biblical scholars, from a broad variety of religious backgrounds, agree on it. You really need to do some reading about the New Testament, and not just blindly accept the NT itself.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post