Evidence for the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2012, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 01:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Evidence for the bible
(08-01-2012 05:10 PM)GwJ Wrote:  I was debating how trustworthy the bible was and they referred to, obviously, the four gospel writers being valid historical sources. I didn't really know how to debunk it. I was telling them that extreme claims require extreme evidence, but that didn't seem to work.

What IS the evidence to support the bible, if any? Other than the gospel writers, do they have anything else to back up what they're saying?

Check out the "Jesus Seminar". They are a group of about 150 PhD scholars, pretty liberal. If you've never heard about the Q Source : http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/syno_home.html
talks about it some. Beware that this is a "believer", but some good history there. If you look at the Jesus Seminar, look for John Dominic Crossan. He's an ex-priest who has a pretty level headed view of the historical problems. Rudolf Bultman's "Jesus Christ and Mythology" is a classic text book, used by most liberal schools. Don't have time now to look for more, ...will try to check out more later. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 07:53 AM
(08-01-2012 05:10 PM)GwJ Wrote:  I was debating how trustworthy the bible was and they referred to, obviously, the four gospel writers being valid historical sources. I didn't really know how to debunk it. I was telling them that extreme claims require extreme evidence, but that didn't seem to work.

What IS the evidence to support the bible, if any? Other than the gospel writers, do they have anything else to back up what they're saying?

I recommend you look up some books that are FOR the Bible being accurate and some that are AGAINST it and decide for yourself.

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
09-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Of of the more vocal members of "The Jesus Siminars" is a loveable ewok named Dr Robert Price.
He has a FREE podcast called "The Bible Geek" (on itunes) and he does JUST THAT! He geeks out on the bible with his extensive..and i mean extensive research. This guys is a bible scholars scholar. He LOVES talking about this stuff too. I honestly dont know how this guy has any time for a wife, he spends so much time giving the world all this valuable research.

He does not come from a 'bitter atheist' POV. He approachs this stuff as a scholar with passion for his subject matter.

Look up ole Dr Price, you'll be glad you did.

D
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 01:34 PM
(09-01-2012 07:53 AM)Sharks9 Wrote:  

I recommend you look up some books that are FOR the Bible being accurate and some that are AGAINST it and decide for yourself.

How about Biblical scholarship from a Christian - any of Bart D. Ehrman's books.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2012, 01:44 PM
(09-01-2012 01:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  

How about Biblical scholarship from a Christian - any of Bart D. Ehrman's books.

Thanks Chas. I had a post prepared, as I forgot Dr. Ehrman, but got "interrupted", Ha. BTW, he is NO longer a Christian. He used to be a fundie. "Jesus Interrupted" is full of "arguing points", if you're looking for some. There is also a fairly new book about "forgeries", ((I assume it's the Pauline letters, (Timothy I and II, and Titus), which Paul could not have written, but someone "slapped his name onto", to appropriate his "authority"))....but have not read that yet. Rolleyes

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
09-01-2012, 01:54 PM
(09-01-2012 01:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Thanks Chas. I had a post prepared, as I forgot Dr. Ehrman, but got "interrupted", Ha. BTW, he is NO longer a Christian. He used to be a fundie. "Jesus Interrupted" is full of "arguing points", if you're looking for some. There is also a fairly new book about "forgeries", ((I assume it's the Pauline letters, (Timothy I and II, and Titus), which Paul could not have written, but someone "slapped his name onto", to appropriate his "authority"))....but have not read that yet. Rolleyes

From the small amount of reading I've done of his stuff, it was clear he was no longer a Bible-fundamentalist, but not clear whether or not he was still Christian, or was now theist, deist, or atheist.

What is clear is that his Bible scholarship ended his literal belief in the Bible.

09-01-2012, 01:55 PM

Barts books are KING!!!!! I have read one and have one on deck!

Bart is also the guy that writes textbooks for many ivy league universities theo programs.

Let me change your life for you..... how would you like to take a full ivy league class on NT Scolarship for free? How about from Yale!

http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/in...-testament

This TOO can be downloaded at Itunes...again FREE!! Its a big undertaking as its full classroom time recordings, but what you will learn can chage everything you know about the NT!!!!

D
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 02:01 PM
(09-01-2012 01:55 PM)Denicio Wrote:  Barts books are KING!!!!! I have read one and have one on deck!

Bart is also the guy that writes textbooks for many ivy league universities theo programs.

Let me change your life for you..... how would you like to take a full ivy league class on NT Scolarship for free? How about from Yale!

http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/in...-testament

This TOO can be downloaded at Itunes...again FREE!! Its a big undertaking as its full classroom time recordings, but what you will learn can chage everything you know about the NT!!!!

D

I am almost done reading his Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why. This is a great intro to textual criticism.

09-01-2012, 03:37 PM
(09-01-2012 01:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 01:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

From the small amount of reading I've done of his stuff, it was clear he was no longer a Bible-fundamentalist, but not clear whether or not he was still Christian, or was now theist, deist, or atheist.

What is clear is that his Bible scholarship ended his literal belief in the Bible.

At the end of "Jesus Interrupted" he lays out why he no longer believes at all.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post