Evidence for the existence of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 01:00 AM
RE: Evidence for the existence of God
(12-01-2017 12:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  Pro tip: Arguments such as "First Cause" are not evidence.

If it was evidence, as in "evident to everyone/anyone", then the top astrophysicists could not be atheists.

I'll go inform Dr. Hawking of the bad news. Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
12-01-2017, 01:19 AM
(11-01-2017 04:48 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 04:24 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How do you know a first cause is required for the universe to exist?

How do you go from "first cause" to "intelligent supernatural being that listens to prayers and inspired humans to write the bible?"
Everything that has a beginning of its existence has a cause. The universe has a beginning of its existence, therefore the universe has a cause.

You are assuming that the universe has a beginning, you do not know this to be a fact; the universe could be perpetual and have always existed.

But even if this universe does have a beginning, then please explain how your god can exist before time existed. It's okay, we'll wait. Drinking Beverage

(11-01-2017 04:48 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  It is obvious to me that our infinitely complex universe could not be created by anyone other than a highly intelligent being.

Nobody fucking cares what you find to be obvious or self evidently true, especially when you don't even know what the word 'evidence' means. Your opinions is worthless on this subject, are you have shown yourself to be little more than a credulous and uneducated fool.

Also, please explain why your supposedly necessary 'highly intelligent being' is your personal god, and not someone else's god, or extraterrestrial life? It's okay, we'll wait. Drinking Beverage

(11-01-2017 04:48 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  As for why I believe that Creator is the God of the Bible who listens to prayers etc. is a separate question in itself that I will gladly answer in another thread.

Dude, we really don't care. If you cannot get from point A to B, how you think you get to point C through E is meaningless drivel. The most learned men and patriarchs of the church couldn't get from a first cause to their particular brand of genocidal petulant sex-shaming invisible sky wizard. I highly doubt you have anything better to offer than Thomas Aquinas did when he failed at the very same task.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-01-2017, 01:40 AM
(11-01-2017 04:48 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  Everything that has a beginning of its existence has a cause. The universe has a beginning of its existence, therefore the universe has a cause.

So tribal deity that you were indoctrinated to believe in have a cause too? It's not really a first cause then? Or your space wizard is exception?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
12-01-2017, 02:22 AM
Yada

Liquid water floats freely in an undetermined volume of space.
Temperature changes and that liquid water becomes ice.
Temperature changes again and it's back to liquid.
Temperature changes again and it's water vapor.

During its ice state an internal clock begins to tick.
The internal clock stops when all the ice is gone.

What caused the ice to begin to exist ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
12-01-2017, 02:33 AM
Who are you guys talking too? yada last made a post on page 7 and has 13 posts to his credit. Is that character still here?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
12-01-2017, 03:35 AM
(12-01-2017 02:33 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Who are you guys talking too? yada last made a post on page 7 and has 13 posts to his credit. Is that character still here?

Their last post was 8 hours ago.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
12-01-2017, 03:40 AM
Oh I see. Or rather, didn't see. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-01-2017, 03:45 AM
(11-01-2017 04:21 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 03:58 PM)pablo Wrote:  I'd be happy if someone could give me a coherent description of god first. Then we could tackle the problem of evidence for it's existence.

Sure. Simply put, the biblical God is a spirit person, the Creator of Heaven and of our physical Universe, and all life therein.

In scientific terms, he is the First Cause.

Since when was "First Cause" a scientific term?
It was a silly argument debunked a long time ago. Even if one accepts that "First Cause" is sound and valid, there is no way for you to prove that it was your particular god.

Also, your particular choice of god is no truer than Odin or Zeus. Put forth some evidence already. Stale, old, silly, and debunked arguments are really boring.

As for what evidence would convince me that your god exist? I have no idea, nor do I care. You should ask him or her or it... whatever. Surely the creator of the universe would be able to reveal that to you.
[+] 4 users Like xieulong's post
12-01-2017, 03:57 AM
(12-01-2017 03:45 AM)xieulong Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 04:21 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  Sure. Simply put, the biblical God is a spirit person, the Creator of Heaven and of our physical Universe, and all life therein.

In scientific terms, he is the First Cause.

Since when was "First Cause" a scientific term?
It was a silly argument debunked a long time ago. Even if one accepts that "First Cause" is sound and valid, there is no way for you to prove that it was your particular god.

Also, your particular choice of god is no truer than Odin or Zeus. Put forth some evidence already. Stale, old, silly, and debunked arguments are really boring.

As for what evidence would convince me that your god exist? I have no idea, nor do I care. You should ask him or her or it... whatever. Surely the creator of the universe would be able to reveal that to you.

I've not seen you in a while. Where've you been?

Welcome back.

Banjo.
12-01-2017, 04:06 AM
(12-01-2017 03:57 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 03:45 AM)xieulong Wrote:  Since when was "First Cause" a scientific term?

I've not seen you in a while. Where've you been?

Welcome back.

Had a change of career, air traffic control. Training was incredibly challenging, had to focus on it and nothing else.
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post