Evidence for the existence of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 10:47 AM
RE: Evidence for the existence of God
(12-01-2017 10:26 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  In the end for Yabadabadoo it all boils down to “I want to believe so there”. This stems from the facts of “I haven’t thought it through” & “I haven’t taken advanced classes on any of the subjects I allude to understand but I really don’t”.

Ignorance is bliss and based on the Durning-Krueger effect you think you know much more than you actually do but don’t know this.

We’ve seen this all before. Drinking Beverage
What I can't stand about this type of theist is the huge "smug" factor they're just sooo fucking smug its maddening, it even oozes through the computer screen covering you with its sticky slime, ugg horrible.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
12-01-2017, 10:51 AM
(12-01-2017 10:47 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 10:26 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  In the end for Yabadabadoo it all boils down to “I want to believe so there”. This stems from the facts of “I haven’t thought it through” & “I haven’t taken advanced classes on any of the subjects I allude to understand but I really don’t”.

Ignorance is bliss and based on the Durning-Krueger effect you think you know much more than you actually do but don’t know this.

We’ve seen this all before. Drinking Beverage
What I can't stand about this type of theist is the huge "smug" factor they're just sooo fucking smug its maddening, it even oozes through the computer screen covering you with its sticky slime, ugg horrible.
They may be smug but for me they appear pitiable. Their rants about how universe couldn't exist if not for god are nothing more than screams of children frightened of the dark. They don't understand and are afraid of godless world where no invisible friend hold their hand so they shout trying to silence voices which disagree with their childish desire.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
12-01-2017, 10:56 AM
(12-01-2017 10:51 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 10:47 AM)adey67 Wrote:  What I can't stand about this type of theist is the huge "smug" factor they're just sooo fucking smug its maddening, it even oozes through the computer screen covering you with its sticky slime, ugg horrible.
They may be smug but for me they appear pitiable. Their rants about how universe couldn't exist if not for god are nothing more than screams of children frightened of the dark. They don't understand and are afraid of godless world where no invisible friend hold their hand so they shout trying to silence voices which disagree with their childish desire.
True, but children can be seriously fucking annoying I know my two caused me grey hairs that's for sure. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
12-01-2017, 11:00 AM
(12-01-2017 10:56 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 10:51 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  They may be smug but for me they appear pitiable. Their rants about how universe couldn't exist if not for god are nothing more than screams of children frightened of the dark. They don't understand and are afraid of godless world where no invisible friend hold their hand so they shout trying to silence voices which disagree with their childish desire.
True, but children can be seriously fucking annoying I know my two caused me grey hairs that's for sure. Big Grin

Can't disagree. While I pity such deluded souls their ignorance annoys me so pity part don't really shows in my posts.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-01-2017, 11:31 AM
(11-01-2017 04:48 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  Everything that has a beginning of its existence has a cause.

Phrased very carefully I see. You avoided saying "everything has a beginning" and inserted "that has a beginning" because, without that, it wouldn't allow your god exception. However, since you're allowing the god exception, why can't there be other exceptions? And if it's possible for anything to be uncaused, what makes you so sure that the universe isn't one of those things that is uncaused? Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 9 users Like Impulse's post
12-01-2017, 11:46 AM
(12-01-2017 11:31 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 04:48 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  Everything that has a beginning of its existence has a cause.

Phrased very carefully I see. You avoided saying "everything has a beginning" and inserted "that has a beginning" because, without that, it wouldn't allow your god exception. However, since you're allowing the god exception, why can't there be other exceptions? And if it's possible for anything to be uncaused, what makes you so sure that the universe isn't one of those things that is uncaused? Consider

If we made exceptions for say evolution these sad gits would be up in arms crying foul but when they make exceptions its all ok, the hight of fucking arrogance typical of this brand of apologist.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
12-01-2017, 12:19 PM
I'm not a physicist, which is why I refer to the fact that so many of the top minds in that field are openly atheist (and many are theists, as well). The simple point is that if we did have enough evidence to demonstrate the "First Cause" arguments being made by the theists who come here to tell us this "obvious" idea they seem to think we've never before encountered, then there would be no atheists at the pinnacle of the field of physics. And yet, they seem to be the majority.

But I am a biologist. And so, when (for some reason I can't determine, since evolution and the Big Bang have nothing to do with one another whatsoever) they continue on from their First Cause nonsense to claim that evolution is also a great lie, I'm stunned... and I want them to explain to me why their grasp of my field is better than my own. Not only my own grasp of evolutionary biology and the history of life on earth, but also greater than the Christians in my field of study, all of whom agree with me on every non-trivial point about the subject.

The part that baffles me isn't that they can have these ideas, but that when I point out the above to them, they don't stop and think, "Wait, if the top physicists are still atheists who don't feel intellectually compelled to convert to theism, and the top evolutionary biologists don't feel compelled to drop Christianity... then maybe my conclusion (and knowledge) about these fields needs work!"

Any intellectually honest person would do this, immediately. So what baffles me is the degree of intellectual dishonesty these theist know-it-alls are able to maintain in the face of this disparity.

I couldn't do it. My honor and intellectual integrity would not allow it.

And I could no longer look at myself in the mirror if I did as they do. I just don't get how they can.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
12-01-2017, 12:21 PM
(11-01-2017 03:55 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  What evidence would you require as a prerequisite for belief in God?

Not only is existence itself evidence of God, existence is God. That is what one of the earliest names of God "I AM" means. To be is to be divine. But this is not like any God that Christianity thinks it is, Buddhism and Taoism are closer to this truth. Unfortunately the evidence for existence is itself tenuous at best.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-01-2017, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 12:29 PM by xieulong.)
(12-01-2017 04:34 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 03:45 AM)xieulong Wrote:  As for what evidence would convince me that your god exist? I have no idea, nor do I care. You should ask him or her or it... whatever. Surely the creator of the universe would be able to reveal that to you.

Indeed. I'm not sure what evidence that could be presented to me that wouldn't have me questioning my own perceptions first, but an all-knowing universe creating being who genuinely cared to make their presence both known and verifiable should be aware of what it would take to convince those who scale their belief to the evidence.

One has to wonder why theists don't hold their own deity to at least such standards.

I wonder if they DO hold their deity to such standards, how many will remain theists? Hah!
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
12-01-2017, 12:28 PM
I still feel the slime of dishonest theism crawling through the keyboard uugggh !!