Evidence for the existence of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 12:28 PM
RE: Evidence for the existence of God
(12-01-2017 12:19 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The part that baffles me isn't that they can have these ideas, but that when I point out the above to them, they don't stop and think, "Wait, if the top physicists are still atheists who don't feel intellectually compelled to convert to theism, and the top evolutionary biologists don't feel compelled to drop Christianity... then maybe my conclusions and knowledge about these fields needs work!"

Any intellectually honest person would do this, immediately. So what baffles me is the degree of intellectual dishonesty these theist know-it-alls are able to maintain in the face of this disparity.

I couldn't do it. My honor and intellectual integrity would not allow it.

And I could no longer look at myself in the mirror if I did as they do. I just don't get how they can.
The same way that Trump can bloviate fact-free and even counterfactual tripe without the slightest shame. In his case it's probably more a sociopathic inability to be personally ashamed of anything or to take personal responsibility for anything, whereas for run of the mill theists it's less pathological than that -- it is just their ideological blinders translating everything they see like Joseph Smith's magic translating glasses.

No one knows what they don't know until they know it.

I totally get where you are coming from because I am a person who places high value on personal integrity also, maybe especially intellectual integrity. But I also used to be one of these evolution-deniers. I never had contact with higher education on topics like evolution and might well have caved pretty quickly if I had, but I was content to just trust that my Fundamentalist Overlords had the best men on it and had it all well in hand. I bought the notion that human wisdom untethered from god created mass delusion, which I was thankfully escaping.

Most of evolution denial and similar matters is just an echo chamber circle-jerk and is based on a few people with college degrees (most of them not even in the relevant field) willing to shout confidently into that echo chamber. As a peon, you look at that and say, well, it's hard to believe this is all a big sham, these people are so sincere and sure of themselves and they've looked at it more closely than I ever will, so ...

This leads to spectacles like a leading YEC theory about the mechanics of the Flood comes not from a paleontologist or archaeologist or geologist or astrophysicist, but from a hydraulics engineer with a BS degree and a hobbyist interest in origins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
12-01-2017, 12:41 PM
(11-01-2017 04:48 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  It is obvious to me that our infinitely complex universe could not be created by anyone other than a highly intelligent being.
"Obvious" is in the eye of the beholder, but since you opened that door:

What I find obvious is that, if a god really existed, especially a god that cares about us and about what we think of it, even more especially if it was any god currently believed in by people alive today, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. Everyone would already know that god exists. We wouldn't need evidence for that which would be already evident because that god had made it so. Why would such a god that craves love, worship, and attention not want every one of us to be absolutely certain it exists in order to guarantee that every one of us provides it? Faith is such a silly concept.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
12-01-2017, 12:48 PM
(12-01-2017 12:19 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The part that baffles me isn't that they can have these ideas, but that when I point out the above to them, they don't stop and think, "Wait, if the top physicists are still atheists who don't feel intellectually compelled to convert to theism, and the top evolutionary biologists don't feel compelled to drop Christianity... then maybe my conclusion (and knowledge) about these fields needs work!"

It's all a conspiracy among scientists so that they can get grant money, right?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
12-01-2017, 01:18 PM
(12-01-2017 10:47 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 10:26 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  In the end for Yabadabadoo it all boils down to “I want to believe so there”. This stems from the facts of “I haven’t thought it through” & “I haven’t taken advanced classes on any of the subjects I allude to understand but I really don’t”.

Ignorance is bliss and based on the Durning-Krueger effect you think you know much more than you actually do but don’t know this.

We’ve seen this all before. Drinking Beverage
What I can't stand about this type of theist is the huge "smug" factor they're just sooo fucking smug its maddening, it even oozes through the computer screen covering you with its sticky slime, ugg horrible.

Try this.

[Image: 97ff2290-0e58-4e62-88ab-cbce97eb7d10_400.jpg]

Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
12-01-2017, 04:26 PM
(12-01-2017 01:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 10:47 AM)adey67 Wrote:  What I can't stand about this type of theist is the huge "smug" factor they're just sooo fucking smug its maddening, it even oozes through the computer screen covering you with its sticky slime, ugg horrible.

Try this.

Thumbsup
Hey, with just minor photoshopping you could turn that label into "God and Adhesive Remover" :-)
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
12-01-2017, 04:37 PM
(11-01-2017 09:30 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Speckles is an adorable specimen of both the specular and ochre forms of hematite. She gets by on cute but don't let that fool you. Under that innocent exterior is a landslide breccia held together by crystalline iron oxide.

Lucy, aka Lucifer, is jet black lump of fault gouge welded together by radiating needles of pyrolusite and does not feel at all left out. She looks like something that Satan passed only with considerable agony and is the shiv-wielding, rage-powered goth counterpart to Speckles' cutesiness.

I'm always learning new things on this site, thanks Paleo!

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
12-01-2017, 06:45 PM
(12-01-2017 04:26 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 01:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Try this.

Thumbsup
Hey, with just minor photoshopping you could turn that label into "God and Adhesive Remover" :-)

[Image: 97ff2290_0e58_4e62_88ab_cbce97eb7d10_400.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
12-01-2017, 07:09 PM
(12-01-2017 06:45 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 04:26 PM)mordant Wrote:  Hey, with just minor photoshopping you could turn that label into "God and Adhesive Remover" :-)

Damn, I LOVE this site.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
12-01-2017, 07:46 PM
(12-01-2017 06:45 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 04:26 PM)mordant Wrote:  Hey, with just minor photoshopping you could turn that label into "God and Adhesive Remover" :-)

Everyone needs some of that under their sink, along with :

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-01-2017, 09:09 PM
(12-01-2017 07:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 06:45 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  [Image: 97ff2290_0e58_4e62_88ab_cbce97eb7d10_400.jpg]

Everyone needs some of that under their sink, along with :

I would LOVE to share that on Facebook, but my balls would have to grow to monumental size. Damn shame too. Cause that's funny.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post