Evidence for the existence of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 03:58 PM
RE: Evidence for the existence of God
(11-01-2017 03:56 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 03:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Present your evidence.

First, define evidence.

Buy a dictionary or use google

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2017, 03:58 PM
(11-01-2017 03:55 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 02:22 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Do you mean the word? Try dictionary.com.

Or do you mean evidence for atheism?

Please clarify.

Yes, sorry, the question was a bit vague.

The basic claim of atheists is that there is no proof or credible evidence for the existence of God. So, in that context, I am asking you to please define terms. What do you mean by "evidence", or "proof"?

What evidence would you require as a prerequisite for belief in God?

Thanks.

I'd be happy if someone could give me a coherent description of god first. Then we could tackle the problem of evidence for it's existence.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
11-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Here, I'll make it real easy for: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=evidence

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
11-01-2017, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 04:09 PM by Heath_Tierney.)
(11-01-2017 03:55 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  The basic claim of atheists is that there is no proof or credible evidence for the existence of God. So, in that context, I am asking you to please define terms. What do you mean by "evidence", or "proof"?

What evidence would you require as a prerequisite for belief in God?

Thanks.

That's a fair question.

Tangible proof, verifiable by uninterested parties, independent of one's belief system, repeatedly testable, falsifiable and able to make predictions.

For instance, gravity: tangible, verified, one does not have to be a "believer" in gravity for it to have an effect, it's testable, falsifiable and is predictable (items in a vacuum 1 g environment always fall at a rate of 9.8 m/s/s).

Those are just the requirements off the top of my head. A God, however, would know, intimately, what would constitute proof for me. That he/she/it hasn't done so tells me that either:
  1. God may exist but isn't interested in human affairs
  2. God may exist and is interested in human affairs but for some reason not in me
  3. God does not exist

Based on the lack of evidence for a divine super-intelligence, and the preponderance of evidence against this intelligence, I'll have to go where the evidence leads whether I like it or not: 3.

*edited for formatting and spelling
[+] 7 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
11-01-2017, 04:10 PM
(11-01-2017 03:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 03:56 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  First, define evidence.

Buy a dictionary or use google

No, I asked YOU to define evidence.

If you do not understand the question or are unable to answer, I suggest you move on.
11-01-2017, 04:11 PM
(11-01-2017 04:04 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Tangible proof, verifiable by uninterested parties, independent of one's belief system, repeatedly testable, falsifiable and able to make predictions.

For instance, gravity: tangible, verified, one does not have to be a "believer" in gravity for it to have an effect, it's testable, falsifiable and is predictable (items in a vacuum 1 g environment always fall at a rate of 9.8 m/s/s).

Those are just the requirements off the top of my head. A God, however, would know, intimately, what would constitute proof for me. That he/she/it hasn't done so tells me that either:
  2. God may exist and is interested in human affairs but for some reason not in me
  3. God does not exist

Based on the lack of evidence for a divine super-intelligence, and the preponderance of evidence against this intelligence, I'll have to go where the evidence leads whether I like it or not: 3.

Thank you, that is the type of logical answer I am after.
11-01-2017, 04:12 PM
(11-01-2017 04:10 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 03:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Buy a dictionary or use google

No, I asked YOU to define evidence.

If you do not understand the question or are unable to answer, I suggest you move on.

I did define. I provided a link to google where it is defined. Did you read the link? I can't do any more for you than I already have. You have to read and participate too when it comes to a discussion.

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
11-01-2017, 04:16 PM
(11-01-2017 04:11 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 04:04 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Tangible proof, verifiable by uninterested parties, independent of one's belief system, repeatedly testable, falsifiable and able to make predictions.

3. God does not exist

Thank you, that is the type of logical answer I am after.

If there are only certain types of answers you want, then you don't want an open discussion. You want one were you get to define what is a "valid" response and which aren't so you can ignore the responses you don't like.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
11-01-2017, 04:16 PM
(11-01-2017 03:56 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 03:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Present your evidence.

First, define evidence.

Provable, observable facts that support a claim or hypothesis.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
11-01-2017, 04:19 PM
We should be getting to the point soon where Yada here tries to change definitions to suit his bias.
What other reason could someone have for asking people to define a word as simple as "evidence"?
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post