Evidence for the existence of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 08:20 PM
RE: Evidence for the existence of God
(11-01-2017 07:31 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  Irrefutably self-evident.

Of course, it is impossible to reason with one who does not accept or even understand that which is obvious.

For instance, those who question whether we really exist or are living in a dream, people who insist on arguing that the entire universe came into existence from nothing etc. are a waste of my time.

Yes it's a waste of time but it's funny how that works, you can just take any aspect our reality, apply absence of knowledge, stir in some fallacy's and voila! We may be living in a simulation or a dream or an immortal wizard's universe ball he takes around with him in a bag and takes out every once and awhile to see how we're doing.

Can you prove otherwise? I mean look at the universe! It's so grand and incredible and our minds are so complex, an immortal, all powerful wizard must've made us! There is no proof that shows this wizard doesn't exist. There is also no proof we are not the dream of Brahma the creator God either or Yahweh the Jewish tribal God who freed the Isrealite slaves but never bothered to free any other slaves ever again or maybe we are the wish a child made in another universe...or literally anything!

Yeah you're right, it's all so silly and waste of time to talk about when our world is so obviously natural and there are no such things as supernatural beings like spirits or angels or demons or fairies. If those things existed we would have proof of them in some form but we don't so let's not waste our time.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
11-01-2017, 08:25 PM
(11-01-2017 04:48 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  The universe has a beginning of its existence, therefore the universe has a cause.
The universe has not been demonstrated to have a beginning; it may well be eternal. Approaching the Big Bang, the meaning of and behavior of time is not a constant.
(11-01-2017 04:48 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  It is obvious to me that our infinitely complex universe could not be created by anyone other than a highly intelligent being.
Argument from incredulity. It is your job to make it "obvious" to others since you're making the positive claim; so please do proceed.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
11-01-2017, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 04:50 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(11-01-2017 03:55 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 02:22 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Do you mean the word? Try dictionary.com.

Or do you mean evidence for atheism?

Please clarify.

Yes, sorry, the question was a bit vague.

The basic claim of atheists is that there is no proof or credible evidence for the existence of God. So, in that context, I am asking you to please define terms. What do you mean by "evidence", or "proof"?

What evidence would you require as a prerequisite for belief in God?

Thanks.

There is none. Faith is a "gift of the Spirit" according to Paul. According TO THEIR own theology.
If gawd is "irrefutably obvious" then you need no faith then do you ?
Are you the only theist in history who needs no faith ?

There is no coherent definition for the 3 letter meme pronounced "gawd".
The notion is dismissed.
Atheists claim nothing.
Until you define a "god" (coherently) there's nothing to discuss.

Quote:It is obvious to me that our infinitely complex universe could not be created by anyone other than a highly intelligent being.

That's because you lack education and creativity. It's a knee jerk reflex as you need an answer, and have none better. (You suffer from low ambiguity tolerance and a high need for cognitive closure).
We know how complexity arises.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory
Quote:It is obvious to me that our infinitely complex universe could not be created by anyone other than a highly intelligent being.

What is intuitively "obvious" is not how fundamental Reality operates (Relativity, Uncertainty, Dirac's math).

Very highly improbable (single) events happen all the time. Events with a probability lower than 1/googleplex.
You really know nothing about what the probabilities of the complexities you're referencing actually are.

Quote:The universe has a beginning of its existence, therefore the universe has a cause.

Causes and effects apply only INSIDE this universe. You are applying your paradigm incorrectly, to a situation you actually have no knowledge of.
The rules we normally observe break down at a singularity. If there was a beginning it was a singularity, and we have no clue what rules apply there or in a reality not inside this universe.
If your god "exists" then so does (as long as she existed) ... *non-existence*. You god always was only a part of a larger Reality. Where did the greater Reality come from, in which it found itself ?
It can't make a larger reality in which it is REQUIRED to exist, and be only a part of.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-01-2017, 08:28 PM
(11-01-2017 04:52 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  Just go back and look at your own posts. It is not me who is struggling to define a simple word.
Nope, it's you who's claiming there's a struggle. I gave you a definition; others also did. You have yet to give one of your own. So who is actually doing the struggling? It would seem to be you.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
11-01-2017, 08:46 PM
(11-01-2017 07:37 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  that time we thought rocks could be pets, etc.

Hey! Lucy and Speckles would like to have a word with you.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
11-01-2017, 08:50 PM
(11-01-2017 07:31 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 04:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  How are you defining "obvious" Wink
Irrefutably self-evident.

Would you say that it is irrefutably self-evident that there can be no causation without space and time?

Quote:Of course, it is impossible to reason with one who does not accept or even understand that which is obvious.

Like the silliness of adults with imaginary friends?

Quote:For instance, those who question whether we really exist or are living in a dream, people who insist on arguing that the entire universe came into existence from nothing etc. are a waste of my time.

Translation: He only debates people who agree with him.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
11-01-2017, 08:52 PM
(11-01-2017 02:16 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  Atheists, please define "evidence".

Define god

Define faith

Define Delusion

Define mythology

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 8 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
11-01-2017, 08:57 PM
(11-01-2017 08:46 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 07:37 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  that time we thought rocks could be pets, etc.

Hey! Lucy and Speckles would like to have a word with you.

Ok I just want to point out that Speckles is the most perfect name for a pet rock, sorry Lucy you got the short straw but you're a rock and don't have feelings so it doesn't matter.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
11-01-2017, 09:01 PM
I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed in all this. I'd really hoped to be converted by this point in the evening but clearly Yadda didn't bring his A game. Yadda? Could you please step it up a bit with the actual evidence? You may have all the time in the world but some of us have an orgy to get to and that forgiveness is going to come in very handy afterward. I swear, kids these days simply don't take their sinning seriously.

---
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
11-01-2017, 09:10 PM
(11-01-2017 07:31 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  Of course, it is impossible to reason with one who does not accept or even understand that which is obvious.

[Image: 5257959192_43202515_answer_1_xlarge.png]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 11 users Like Full Circle's post