Evidence for the existence of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 09:25 PM
RE: Evidence for the existence of God
(11-01-2017 07:31 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  arguing that the entire universe came into existence from nothing etc. are a waste of my time.

We see what an uninformed and childish level you operate on.
You simply want your biases affirmed.

"Came into existence" is meaningless, UNLESS space-time is already in place.
(as Sean Carroll schooled WLC on).
Coming into existence takes time. You have no evidence spacetime is a property of anything other than this universe. That's not even a relevant question.

A creator of Reality would have had to "cause" Causality, Existence and Non-existence. The very stuff of Realty. The very stuff/properties it *needs* itself for it's own reality/definition. A god does not explain Reality.
You've never examined your assumptions.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-01-2017, 09:30 PM
(11-01-2017 08:57 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 08:46 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Hey! Lucy and Speckles would like to have a word with you.

Ok I just want to point out that Speckles is the most perfect name for a pet rock, sorry Lucy you got the short straw but you're a rock and don't have feelings so it doesn't matter.

Speckles is an adorable specimen of both the specular and ochre forms of hematite. She gets by on cute but don't let that fool you. Under that innocent exterior is a landslide breccia held together by crystalline iron oxide.

[Image: RIMG1362_zpsaph5kb5d.jpg]

Lucy, aka Lucifer, is jet black lump of fault gouge welded together by radiating needles of pyrolusite and does not feel at all left out. She looks like something that Satan passed only with considerable agony and is the shiv-wielding, rage-powered goth counterpart to Speckles' cutesiness.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
11-01-2017, 09:36 PM
(11-01-2017 07:06 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  Then, in the future, when the earth is restored and pseudoscientific theories such as Evolution have been wiped out, we can move forward and start working on the technology necessary to explore our vast universe.

I await your first faith-based rocket launch with undisguised glee.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 10 users Like Paleophyte's post
11-01-2017, 09:48 PM
Every single major university in the entire world teaches evolution as the best explanation available. Saying it's "pseudo-scientific" is the same as a First Grader telling Einstein he was stupid and knew nothing.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Why is the thread question monotheistic?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
11-01-2017, 11:20 PM
Define evidence?

Easy. Evidence is that which is evident to anyone who examines it.

If you cannot show it, you do not know it.

Simply defining things into existence is semantic masturbation. When you do it using terms incorrectly, such as "before time", as you are doing, it becomes simply laughable.

But please, I'm curious. Would you be so kind as to explain to an evolutionary biologist why evolution is a false, pseudoscientific theory?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
11-01-2017, 11:28 PM
(11-01-2017 11:20 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Define evidence?

Easy. Evidence is that which is evident to anyone who examines it.

If you cannot show it, you do not know it.

Simply defining things into existence is semantic masturbation. When you do it using terms incorrectly, such as "before time", as you are doing, it becomes simply laughable.

But please, I'm curious. Would you be so kind as to explain to an evolutionary biologist why evolution is a false, pseudoscientific theory?

Easy Wink Evolution is false 'cause God got bored one day and took out his Play-Doh Play Set and made man. Then He made a Play-Doh rib to make woman. And yada yada yada, the rest is history. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
11-01-2017, 11:32 PM
(11-01-2017 02:16 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  Atheists, please define "evidence".
The facts of reality grasped by perception or a process of reason based on perception, that lead logically to a particular conclusion.

I think that the notion of "evidence for a god's existence" is a self contradictory notion. The concept "evidence" rests exclusively on the objective view of reality and the notion of a god affirms the subjective view of reality.

The worst thing that could happen to theists is if they actually managed to prove their god's existence. Then it would be no more that another thing in reality that could be measured and identified. It would destroy theism.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
11-01-2017, 11:48 PM
(11-01-2017 04:48 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 04:24 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How do you know a first cause is required for the universe to exist?

How do you go from "first cause" to "intelligent supernatural being that listens to prayers and inspired humans to write the bible?"

Everything that has a beginning of its existence has a cause. The universe has a beginning of its existence, therefore the universe has a cause.

It is obvious to me that our infinitely complex universe could not be created by anyone other than a highly intelligent being.

As for why I believe that Creator is the God of the Bible who listens to prayers etc. is a separate question in itself that I will gladly answer in another thread.

I think it is crucial for you to define the concept "universe". After all, it is a key term in your argument.

I define the concept "universe" to mean the sum total of all that exists. On this definition, the notion of a cause of the universe is clearly nonsensical.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
12-01-2017, 12:45 AM
(11-01-2017 04:52 PM)Yadayadayada Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 04:30 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  There is literally no one here (besides you) struggling to define a word that has already been defined in a variety of places. Don't project onto us because you don't want to present your bullshit Drinking Beverage

I do not need to "project". Just go back and look at your own posts. It is not me who is struggling to define a simple word.

So provide evidence for the existence of the god you defined.

Pro tip: Arguments such as "First Cause" are not evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post