Evidence for the resurrection of Jesus...ENJOY!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2012, 05:19 PM
RE: Evidence for the resurrection of Jesus...ENJOY!
(21-10-2012 06:05 PM)Noelani Wrote:  Came across this today: http://ehrmanblog.org/decent-burials-for...-victims/. Jesus may not have even been given a proper or timely burial.

The men Yeshua was crucified with were labeled as “lestai,” incorrectly translated in some Bibles as “robbers.” In fact “lestai” was a derogatory term for insurrectionists, who, by armed action, opposed Roman rule (http://www.drabruzzi.com/jesus_movement.htm and http://haqol.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/th...i-rebel/). So Jesus was crucified between two zealots, but we are told wasn’t one himself. I think today’s informed readers are too perceptive to fall for that.

Roman law allowed no burial rights to those killed by crucifixion. Yeshua’s emaciated body would have been left for the scavenging birds and dogs as a deterrent to others who might disobey Rome, although it is possible Pilate made an exception and gave permission for the body to be buried.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
22-10-2012, 05:31 PM
(22-10-2012 03:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 03:04 PM)Idiot for Christ Wrote:  Oh, and don't forget to post what WLC makes on debates and talks, I'm interested:___________________

That's as important as how much the thieving preachers rake in.

Based on this, we figured he makes about $50,000-$60,000 each time The Traveling Sophistry Show opens in a town near you.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-10-2012, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2012 07:19 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Since any really serious discussion of the "resurrection event", and what that might have meant to the humans of Yeshua's day, (IF indeed there was such a man), we must start with what Saul of Tarsus said about it, and what his cultural assumptions were, (his "unspoken premises"), I will move my further comments to Dr. Fulton's "St. Paul" thread.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...aul?page=3

and my own Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth, a second look thread :
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...surrection

As ever,
Your humble servant,
No Book Buck.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-10-2012, 06:04 PM
(22-10-2012 05:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 03:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  That's as important as how much the thieving preachers rake in.

Based on this, we figured he makes about $50,000-$60,000 each time The Traveling Sophistry Show opens in a town near you.

I'm blown away by that!

Not only are guys like him filling people's heads with bullshit, they're fleecing them as well! What a scam! Is this for a debate, or a three day conference all meals included?
22-10-2012, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2012 06:17 PM by Vosur.)
(22-10-2012 06:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'm blown away by that!

Not only are guys like him filling people's heads with bullshit, they're fleecing them as well! What a scam! Is this for a debate, or a three day conference all meals included?
It shows us one thing rather clearly. They are aware of the fact that more and more people are deconverting and leaving church to become unbelievers (atheists, agnostics, apatheists, etc.) and that this is a trend that has been going for the last few decades, especially in European countries like Germany. They know that they will have to do something about it in order to secure their future as Christian preachers. It's good to know that they are aware of the fact that they are in the defense.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
22-10-2012, 06:18 PM
(22-10-2012 06:11 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 06:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'm blown away by that!

It show us one think rather clearly. They are aware of the fact that more and more people leave church and become unbelievers (atheists, agnostics, apatheists, etc.) and that this is a trend that has been going for the last few decades, especially in European countries like Germany. They know that they will have to do something about it in order to secure their future as Christian preachers. It's good to know that they are aware of the fact that they are in the defense.

Do you think there would be many takers in Germany who would pay that much to hear him speak? I can't imagine him having much of an audience here in Australia if he was charging those prices. A Pink Floyd concert...yep...but hearing him prattle on....no way! LOL
22-10-2012, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2012 06:30 PM by Vosur.)
(22-10-2012 06:18 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Do you think there would be many takers in germany who would pay that much to hear him speak? I can't imagine him having much of an audience here in Australia if he was charging those prices. A Pink Floyd concert...yep...but hearing him prattle on....no way! LOL
No way indeed.

This is yet another "Only in America" thing. When I found out about Creationism and the controversy about it in the USA, I was rather shocked. I have never ever heard someone advocate bringing Creationism into German schools. In fact, I didn't even know about Creationism before I joined TTA. There are no major political parties whose goal it is to bring Creationism into science classes, because they know they would be shunned and laughed at. The same goes for the Westboro Baptist Church and Mormons. In the 17 years I've been living in Germany, I've never seen someone on the streets with signs saying "Gott hasst Schwule" (God hates fags) or anything remotely similar. It just doesn't happen. Religion is a private matter over here. Likewise with Jehova's Witnesses. If you tell them not to come to your house again, they won't. If people were to protest the burials of gay people or soldiers in Germany, they would get arrested, because we have strict laws against this kind of behavior. I can't comprehend how the Westboro Baptist Church is allowed to do that in the USA.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
22-10-2012, 06:53 PM
(22-10-2012 06:22 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 06:18 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Do you think there would be many takers in germany who would pay that much to hear him speak? I can't imagine him having much of an audience here in Australia if he was charging those prices. A Pink Floyd concert...yep...but hearing him prattle on....no way! LOL
No way indeed.

This is yet another "Only in America" thing. When I found out about Creationism and the controversy about it in the USA, I was rather shocked. I have never ever heard someone advocate bringing Creationism into German schools. In fact, I didn't even know about Creationism before I joined TTA. There are no major political parties whose goal it is to bring Creationism into science classes, because they know they would be shunned and laughed at. The same goes for the Westboro Baptist Church and Mormons. In the 17 years I've been living in Germany, I've never seen someone on the streets with signs saying "Gott hasst Schwule" (God hates fags) or anything remotely similar. It just doesn't happen. Religion is a private matter over here. Likewise with Jehova's Witnesses. If you tell them not to come to your house again, they won't. If people were to protest the burials of gay people or soldiers in Germany, they would get arrested, because we have strict laws against this kind of behavior. I can't comprehend how the Westboro Baptist Church is allowed to do that in the USA.

Thanks for that Vosur. I would say we are almost as advanced as that here in Australia. I too was very surprised when i realised what happens in the good ole USA. I have a blog discussing religiosity in the USA if anyone is interested at http://www.markfulton.org/christianity-a...al-society
22-10-2012, 10:10 PM
(17-10-2012 03:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  IFC, also note that I believe in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ; however, I do accept the fact that there isn't much proof of it outside religion.

Trying to make "facts" fit in a world view doesn't strengthen one's case. Like people have said, there is sufficient evidence that could be used to completely deny the existence of a historical Jesus.

I'm interested... I typically side with Bart Ehrman on this issue - I think there is sufficient evidence to say that Jesus existed as a man, though the claims about him are often exaggerations and fabrications. In my view, it appears that Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet and believed that the end times were within his generation's lifetime. He may or may not have been crucified, but the resurrection is much more problematic as there are discrepancies even among the religious texts about the nature of the resurrection, how he was found, etc.

We don't find anything outside of the Bible corroborating the details that would have been certainly noticed and talked about by the people had they actually occurred, such as the darkness, the tearing of the curtain, dead walking and roaming the streets, etc. The Bible makes those claims, but no other book or author mentions them anywhere. That is extremely strange considering what the claims were...

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post
22-10-2012, 11:34 PM
(22-10-2012 06:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 05:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Based on this, we figured he makes about $50,000-$60,000 each time The Traveling Sophistry Show opens in a town near you.

I'm blown away by that!

It's for a two-four hour video feed, of an internet presentation.