Evidence for the resurrection of Jesus...ENJOY!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2012, 02:04 AM
RE: Evidence for the resurrection of Jesus...ENJOY!
(22-10-2012 11:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 06:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'm blown away by that!

Not only are guys like him filling people's heads with bullshit, they're fleecing them as well! What a scam! Is this for a debate, or a three day conference all meals included?

It's for a two-four hour video feed, of an internet presentation.

What an arrogant prick!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2012, 10:41 AM
(23-10-2012 02:04 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 11:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's for a two-four hour video feed, of an internet presentation.

What an arrogant prick!

It's arrogant if he asks for it and can't get it. It's justified recognition of his own value if people actually pay what he asks.

Clearly Craig understands this old maxim that even predates Christ:

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it." -Publilius Syrus (~100 BC).

Sadly enough, this means that WLC is actually worth $50,000 for a few hours of video feed, as long as there are purchasers who will pay for it.

(OK, OK, it means his information and the presentation of it is worth that much, and only to those purchasers; I still think he's quite worthless).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
23-10-2012, 10:50 AM
(22-10-2012 06:53 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Thanks for that Vosur. I would say we are almost as advanced as that here in Australia. I too was very surprised when i realised what happens in the good ole USA. I have a blog discussing religiosity in the USA if anyone is interested at http://www.markfulton.org/christianity-a...al-society
I did a little bit more research and there is actually just a single party in Germany that wants to bring Creationism into science classes. It has 2800 members and receives (dependant on the state) 0.05%-0.1% of the total votes. That's ten to twenty times worse than our right-wing extremist party which has 1% of the votes. The biggest Creationism organization in Germany, a collective of many different Creationism-supporting churches, has 480 members. It's laughable how insignificant they are. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
23-10-2012, 10:51 AM
(22-10-2012 06:22 PM)Vosur Wrote:  If people were to protest the burials of gay people or soldiers in Germany, they would get arrested, because we have strict laws against this kind of behavior. I can't comprehend how the Westboro Baptist Church is allowed to do that in the USA.

The USA was founded on several principles, first among them (well, it's the first amendment to the constitution) is the freedom of speech. This includes the freedom to say and write and communicate all kinds of stupid things, hateful things, wrong things, etc.

Now, some kinds of speech can cause damage, and the damaged parties can sue for damages (slander, libel, etc.). Certain words are prohibited publicly, such as on television, as well as certain images such as nudity or extreme violence. But as long as those words and images are avoided, your right to say anything you want is constitutionally protected in this country.

Even the idiots from the Westboro Baptist Church get the same protection.

While letting them publicly say cruel and hateful things seems like a bad idea, it's very easy to see how the shoe could end up on the other foot. Not that hard to imagine a Christian president with a Christian congress passing laws that prohibit speech about atheism or anti- or non-Christian propaganda.

I wouldn't want that to happen, so I support the Constitutionally mandated freedom of speech, even if it means I have to endure WBC and WLC and other offensive inanity.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
23-10-2012, 10:55 AM
(23-10-2012 10:50 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I did a little bit more research and there is actually just a single party in Germany that wants to bring Creationism into science classes. It has 2800 members and receives (dependant on the state) 0.05%-0.1% of the total votes. That's ten to twenty times worse than our right-wing extremist party which has 1% of the votes. The biggest Creationism organization in Germany, a collective of many different Creationism-supporting churches, has 480 members. It's laughable how insignificant they are. Smile

Hmmmm, maybe it's time to dust off my High School Deutsch textbooks and move to Germany.

23-10-2012, 10:56 AM
(23-10-2012 10:51 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 06:22 PM)Vosur Wrote:  If people were to protest the burials of gay people or soldiers in Germany, they would get arrested, because we have strict laws against this kind of behavior. I can't comprehend how the Westboro Baptist Church is allowed to do that in the USA.

The USA was founded on several principles, first among them (well, it's the first amendment to the constitution) is the freedom of speech. This includes the freedom to say and write and communicate all kinds of stupid things, hateful things, wrong things, etc.

Now, some kinds of speech can cause damage, and the damaged parties can sue for damages (slander, libel, etc.). Certain words are prohibited publicly, such as on television, as well as certain images such as nudity or extreme violence. But as long as those words and images are avoided, your right to say anything you want is constitutionally protected in this country.

Even the idiots from the Westboro Baptist Church get the same protection.

While letting them publicly say cruel and hateful things seems like a bad idea, it's very easy to see how the shoe could end up on the other foot. Not that hard to imagine a Christian president with a Christian congress passing laws that prohibit speech about atheism or anti- or non-Christian propaganda.

I wouldn't want that to happen, so I support the Constitutionally mandated freedom of speech, even if it means I have to endure WBC and WLC and other offensive inanity.
There is a major difference between freedom of speech, which allows you to say/write whatever you want, and disrupting a burial ceremony. One has nothing to do with the other.

I looked it up and you can actually get up to three years in prison for committing said crime.
http://dejure.org/gesetze/StGB/167a.html

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
23-10-2012, 11:04 AM
As far as I know, WBC has only stood across the street or on a nearby sidewalk and shouted stupid things and held stupid signs. They have not stopped or disrupted any funerals, rather all they've done is insult the deceased and annoy the bereaved.

Not that I'm condoning their insanity or their cruelty, but I'm saying it might not even be illegal per the German statute you linked, which says the illegal act would be to hold or disrupt the funeral service. Maybe lawyers would argue that shouting at a funeral from nearby counts as disrupting it and maybe that might hold up in court, but maybe not. Here, in the US, it's just annoying (and cruel and insane).

23-10-2012, 11:11 AM
(23-10-2012 11:04 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  As far as I know, WBC has only stood across the street or on a nearby sidewalk and shouted stupid things and held stupid signs. They have not stopped or disrupted any funerals, rather all they've done is insult the deceased and annoy the bereaved.

Not that I'm condoning their insanity or their cruelty, but I'm saying it might not even be illegal per the German statute you linked, which says the illegal act would be to hold or disrupt the funeral service. Maybe lawyers would argue that shouting at a funeral from nearby counts as disrupting it and maybe that might hold up in court, but maybe not. Here, in the US, it's just annoying (and cruel and insane).
That could very well be true. I'm not sure how far you can stretch that law. Then again, I haven't heard of a case where the law actually needed to be enforced in the first place.

23-10-2012, 11:47 AM
(23-10-2012 11:04 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  As far as I know, WBC has only stood across the street or on a nearby sidewalk and shouted stupid things and held stupid signs.

Don't you mean recently? Weren't there laws put in place just recently mandating a minimum distance protesters like them need to stay away from funeral ceremonies, etc.? Before this law I believe they were more brazen.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
23-10-2012, 11:58 AM
(23-10-2012 11:11 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That could very well be true. I'm not sure how far you can stretch that law. Then again, I haven't heard of a case where the law actually needed to be enforced in the first place.

Ahhh, now there you're fundamentally overestimating the Christian mentality:

1. They are the chosen of God. Therefore they are superior to everyone else.
2. Being a giant douchebag won't be punished in their blissful afterlife as long as they believe in Jesus, so there is no downside to being a giant douchebag..
3. Being a giant douchebag in the name of Jesus is actually encouraged.
4. This entitles them to be giant douchebags to everybody, especially when it comes to preaching the Word.
5. "The Word" is whatever they want it to be today.
6. So they can preach whatever they want, wherever they way, and be giant douchebags about it all the time, and this just proves their superior devotion to the god that chose them.
7. Given the above, stupid little secular laws made and enforced by inferior sub-human men are inconsequential, so they can ignore those laws...
8. ...Until they get enforced.
9. Which should cast doubt on their superior "chosen one" status, but all it really does is create an "I'm a martyr for Christ" mentality and reinforce their delusions. After all, Jesus was superior and he got arrested by secular inferior sub-human men, so their being arrested makes them just more Jesus-like.