Evidence, framing & a cop analogy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Evidence, framing & a cop analogy
Hi, first of all, I'm sorry that I'm constantly askin others to do my thinking for me, but I'm uber dumb. Today, I have been arguing with a creationist on twitter. Basically, they were accusing me of having faith in abiogenesis. It's the standard "science is observable, the past is unobservable, therefore any theories about the past are unscientific" schtick. I asked him if detectives have faith when they investigate a crime scene and drawing conclusions even though they weren't their to witness the crime. They came back saying that sometimes people are framed or confess to a crime they did not commit. Needless to say, that was not my point. I was trying to show that we don't need to directly witness an event to be pretty sure what happened. We can use the clues to reconstruct the events. Anyways, they are asking me if I think if the CIA or the mafia or whatever have ever framed someone. I suppose their point is that the clues that scientists use may lead to a conclusion that is false. Anyone have any tips or anything for a response? Better yet just come to twitter and read the conversation for yourself. I'm Nodegree@k3lvinsca1e.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2013, 11:46 AM
RE: Evidence, framing & a cop analogy
(11-08-2013 01:45 AM)THEDEATHBERRY22 Wrote:  Hi, first of all, I'm sorry that I'm constantly askin others to do my thinking for me, but I'm uber dumb. Today, I have been arguing with a creationist on twitter. Basically, they were accusing me of having faith in abiogenesis. It's the standard "science is observable, the past is unobservable, therefore any theories about the past are unscientific" schtick. I asked him if detectives have faith when they investigate a crime scene and drawing conclusions even though they weren't their to witness the crime. They came back saying that sometimes people are framed or confess to a crime they did not commit. Needless to say, that was not my point. I was trying to show that we don't need to directly witness an event to be pretty sure what happened. We can use the clues to reconstruct the events. Anyways, they are asking me if I think if the CIA or the mafia or whatever have ever framed someone. I suppose their point is that the clues that scientists use may lead to a conclusion that is false. Anyone have any tips or anything for a response? Better yet just come to twitter and read the conversation for yourself. I'm Nodegree@k3lvinsca1e.

Evolution does not = Abiogenesis, make sure they understand that.

I Will have My revenge on AlternateHistory.com, in this life or the next Evil_monster

~WrappedInShadows (AKA Me)
11-08-2013, 12:00 PM
(11-08-2013 01:45 AM)THEDEATHBERRY22 Wrote:  Hi, first of all, I'm sorry that I'm constantly askin others to do my thinking for me, but I'm uber dumb. Today, I have been arguing with a creationist on twitter. Basically, they were accusing me of having faith in abiogenesis. It's the standard "science is observable, the past is unobservable, therefore any theories about the past are unscientific" schtick. I asked him if detectives have faith when they investigate a crime scene and drawing conclusions even though they weren't their to witness the crime. They came back saying that sometimes people are framed or confess to a crime they did not commit. Needless to say, that was not my point. I was trying to show that we don't need to directly witness an event to be pretty sure what happened. We can use the clues to reconstruct the events. Anyways, they are asking me if I think if the CIA or the mafia or whatever have ever framed someone. I suppose their point is that the clues that scientists use may lead to a conclusion that is false. Anyone have any tips or anything for a response? Better yet just come to twitter and read the conversation for yourself. I'm Nodegree@k3lvinsca1e.

Respond thusly, to date all evidence we have found points to Abiogenesis if at some later date we find a better explanation for the events that began the life cycle then science shall change it's consensus as long as the evidence keep pointing in that new direction. That is the strength of science and the weakness of religion when you add new information into Science it becomes stronger and closer to the truth with religion new information is fought because it shows that the conclusions reached by bronze age goat herders were incorrect.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
12-08-2013, 06:11 AM
When forensics fails, it is usually in the courtroom. Prosecution and defense attorneys try to color the evidence with emotion and play on possible prejudices of the jury. However, the psychological biases of the jury do not affect the accuracy of forensic science. We can determine types of weapons or equipment (guns, knives, etc.) were used and how they were used( slashing, stabbing,etc.). When people are exonerated it is often with new forensic techniques that yield more accurate information.
As for abiogenesis, the original theist argument was the impossibility of chemical biological precursors emerging from nonbiological materials. Miller and Urey disproved that assertion in 1953 ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2...experiment ) by showing natural conditions can result in biological coming from basic chemistry. The theist's fallback argument is now "You haven't produced every amino acid required for life to occur.". Response: It doesn't matter. The possibility of chemical precursors emerging naturally eliminates the necessity for supernatural intervention.

Science is dissecting the sacred cow.[Image: smartass.gif]
13-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks,you guys, for the feedback. @NoSkyDaddy, thanks for your insights. I think the fellows purpose in trying to poke holes in my analogy was to get me to admit that we can have all the evidence point to a false conclusion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Breakthrough !!, there is no hard evidence sporehux 9 259 27-03-2014 07:18 AM
Last Post: wazzel
  Christians Claim Big Bang as Evidence for God Im_Ryan 2 140 26-03-2014 11:44 AM
Last Post: Im_Ryan
  Scientific and Historical Evidence for God tm258 20 1,515 11-11-2013 01:14 PM
Last Post: Chas
  Evidence of the Dates of the Gospels? Raptor Jesus 5 397 22-08-2013 10:42 PM
Last Post: Raptor Jesus
  Evidence for the great flood in the bible? ChuckTesta 8 606 22-05-2013 10:06 AM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys