Evidence is only evidence if you accept it? Trying to refute a creationist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2011, 06:27 AM
RE: Evidence is only evidence if you accept it? Trying to refute a creationist.
(23-06-2011 05:20 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  Cut your hair and go buy smaller glasses.

First off, this is a weird thing to say in a thread where someone did not ask about their appearance you can be insightful without having to look a specific way.

Second, I think his hair looks nice, though he could use smaller glasses. It's up to him though and there's nothing wrong with his appearance.

(22-06-2011 06:32 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Fear is the root of all religions.

Fear isn't the root of all religions, just most of the bigger ones Buddy. Religions are indeed all based on the unknown and a need for answers, but many of the various religions that were not popularized have little to do with fear as opposed to understanding.

Now then on topic =p There is something to be said of your own perceptions which shape your own reality, but the inability to accept the agreed upon points within the world is an affront to the society which has agreed upon them. Math could work in a few ways but would always hold the same system. It's something outside of human control so you can't actually alter it. As is the world itself, we can't just make the world be anything we want because it isn't something of ours. If he wants to suggest that his perception is the reality as opposed to the non perceptive factual view of a nonhuman controlled experience, then he's also going to have to accept that you and most everyone else will consider him insane. If he complains about it then he needs to be put in his place, because if he is dictating his life on his own perceptions of reality without any outside influence, then he better be keeping to himself.

I'd be fine with a person having this idea if they didn't think it should be shared. You can choose to be willfully ignorant, but that doesn't mean you have a right to impose ignorance. Unfortunately it's common that a person like this will impose it on their children, which demands that the world fight back and help those children not be forced into ignorance. In the US it may be seen that parents are the ones raising their child, but if society steps aside and lets the child be raised wrong it hurts everyone not just the parent. People need to be adamant about making sure that everyone who holds this view realizes what's out there besides it. Otherwise we'll allow the country to be undermined by ignorance.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2011, 01:37 PM
(23-06-2011 05:20 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  Cut your hair and go buy smaller glasses.

No, and why should I? I like the way I look.

"Science is interesting, if you don't agree, you can fuck off."
Go to my youtube channel and subscribe please!
24-06-2011, 02:08 PM
(24-06-2011 06:27 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Fear isn't the root of all religions, just most of the bigger ones Buddy. Religions are indeed all based on the unknown and a need for answers, but many of the various religions that were not popularized have little to do with fear as opposed to understanding.

MUST you analyze my every word? I needed a generalizing sweeping statement that would look good as a bumper sticker to emphasize my point. People love short sentences they can quote. If I had said, "Fear is the root of all religions... except for the ones used to fill in blanks on human understanding, and other religions invented out of a need for comfort, boredom, and a desire to make a cult and be the leader." It wouldn't quite have the same effect.

I like toast.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
24-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I rarely pick on you Buddy =p just being mean

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-06-2011, 10:18 AM
I like toast, too, but not if it's burnt or undercooked or made with stale bread or bread that's too grainy and I especially don't like it if it's served cold or dry.... :-p

On topic: I liked the video, especially where you hold the bone up and say "this is evidence..." making it so abundantly clear that the "theory of evolution" is more than just a nebulous philosphical proposition, but supported by actual physcial proof that is virtually indisputable.

It occurred to me the other day how coincidental it is that so many mammals share physical attributes such as two eyes, two ears, one nose, one mouth, four limbs, and similar sexual organs...the wide spectrum of different species who have these in common points a big fat arrow at the probability of a common ancestor. If we were unrelated to horses, dogs, cats, mice, etc., then why shouldn't some of those species have three eyes or one ear or two mouths or six legs or completely different sexual organs than we do? For what other reason would all of the animal species either share these attributes or have remnants of bones (like snakes and dolphins) that show that they once shared them with us? What rule says all mammals can only have two ears or one nose? The explanation for this remarkable similarity between the vast majority of different animal species should be rather obvious. We are related by a common ancestor.

Of course I understand that DNA and the fossil record bear this out, but I mention it as obvious evidence that everyone can see, religious or not, every time they step outside and have a look around. You don't have to be a biologist or any kind of a scientist to notice these things and wonder why it is so. Unless your explanation is that God had such little imagination He couldn't conceive of an animal with more or less than four limbs, two eyes, one nose, one tail, etc. But doesn't a common ancestor make a whole lot more sense than that?

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
27-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Quote:Cut your hair and go buy smaller glasses.

Personally I think he looks cute Blush

Anyway, I like this video format, but I'm totally sick of us having to constantly explain evolution to creationists. It's absolutely nuts, I'm not a scientist, I shouldn't have to constantly re-explain how this very complicated concept works, go ask a biology teacher before trying to disprove evolution.

Like it really does grate my nerves how we are supposed to be constantly defending something scientific against something based on "Feelings". There is a video that pretty much sums up how I feel about talking to creationists about evolution.

Theoretical Bullshit- Why I don't debate Creationists

I find Scott to be very intelligent and well versed, his videos are usually entertaining and enlightening.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
27-06-2011, 06:52 PM
(27-06-2011 11:05 AM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  
Quote:Cut your hair and go buy smaller glasses.

Personally I think he looks cute Blush

Hehehe, thanks. Blush

"Science is interesting, if you don't agree, you can fuck off."
Go to my youtube channel and subscribe please!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Evidence Against (?) Evolution RedJamaX 8 455 12-07-2014 07:12 AM
Last Post: true scotsman
  Creationist's Mind Timber1025 0 103 12-06-2014 11:57 AM
Last Post: Timber1025
  Soon creationist are going to say beneficial mutations prove creationism Metazoa Zeke 18 321 22-03-2014 02:08 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  How to talk about evolution to a creationist Metazoa Zeke 2 274 16-03-2014 02:46 PM
Last Post: DemonicLemon
  Is it a waste of time debating creationist Metazoa Zeke 26 414 10-03-2014 10:07 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Creationist and Uniformitarianism Metazoa Zeke 2 207 08-03-2014 10:33 AM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  Evidence that prove creation,was originally said to never happen by creationist. Metazoa Zeke 14 307 07-03-2014 09:16 AM
Last Post: itsnotmeitsyou