Evidence of Natural Selection Leading to Evolution Before My Canadian Eyes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2017, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2017 01:16 PM by Cosmo.)
Evidence of Natural Selection Leading to Evolution Before My Canadian Eyes
The mountain pine beetle has been absolutely ravaging the boreal forest. Millions of hectares have been levelled. It gets inside pine trees, and eats out their insides until they are dead.

It's really a sad situation. But there is hope.

These trees are going to have hit the next step in their evolutionary progression very shortly.

Let me tell you why, as I try to control clapping my hands like a giddy schoolchild watching a theory be plainly demonstrated as true.

Some small groves of these trees (the Lodgepole Pine, in particular) kill these pine beetles when the pine beetle tries to attack. They produce a copious amount of an extra sticky resin, toxic to the beetles, that immobilizes these parasites.

Scientists plainly stated that these trees remain healthy while under attack, and so, these trees will survive, while Lodgepole Pine trees that do not have this defense mechanism will die. Also, it seems the Jack Pine has none of these adaptations, or perhaps we have just not found trees with this developed resistance.

A mutation produces massive benefit to the organism, and allows for its proliferation, instead of the proliferation of less adapted organisms, which will subsequently perish. Natural selection is clearly at play.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/p...-1.4240490

"No matter how many beetles attacked them, they really survived. We were so shocked to see that."
-Nadir Erbilgin, Entomologist

Okay, now I will clap like a giddy schoolchild.

[Image: giphy.gif]

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 17 users Like Cosmo's post
13-08-2017, 01:14 PM
RE: Evidence of Natural Selection Leading to Evolution Before My Canadian Eyes
Cue some jesus freak claiming that his god is working in mysterious ways in 5....4....3....2.....1

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
13-08-2017, 01:17 PM
Laugh out load

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
13-08-2017, 01:21 PM
(13-08-2017 01:14 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Cue some jesus freak claiming that his god is working in mysterious ways in 5....4....3....2.....1

No, no...it's a conspiracy...

...or it's aliens.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
13-08-2017, 01:48 PM
I was just thinking: The Lord works in mysterious ways indeed. So mysterious, that he supposedly created an organism, whose whole life cycle revolves around systematically decimating another organism, that produces a great deal of oxygen and sequesters a great deal of carbon dioxide for the primate species that he supposedly loves.

Facepalm

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 2 users Like Cosmo's post
13-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Silly, those trees are just ADAPTING. They're still the same KIND.

Rolleyes

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 10 users Like Loom's post
13-08-2017, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2017 02:23 PM by Cosmo.)
Laugh out load

Only micro-evolution. Silly me.

See and the problem with creationists is you can't deploy a timescale in order to show them that if mutation after mutation like this happened over millions of years, you would likely end up with something that looked very little like our original Lodgepole Pine. Even now, that is a significant divergence from what a regular Lodgepole Pine is capable of (which is what got me so excited.) Over ten million years, and millions of new mutations, a significant divergence from that species (with subsequent and further diversity coming about as these new species that have arisen also undergo their own mutations,) and over hundreds of millions of years, perhaps reclassification into a different genus or family.

When you're only given 6-10000 years to work with by your holy book, the idea can seem pretty far-fetched can't it.

Oh well. At least I have another great example of micro-evolution under my belt. Wanted to share it with you all. Smile

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
13-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Quote:I was just thinking:

That's more than the asshole who wrote that fucking bible did.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
13-08-2017, 07:44 PM
(13-08-2017 01:07 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  The mountain pine beetle has been absolutely ravaging the boreal forest.

Is that an invasive species recently introduced? Those are always the worst. I was reading something about Hawaii where they had these big slow flightless birdlike meatbags that lived there...then humans showed up and...guess who likes to eat meat?

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
13-08-2017, 07:50 PM
(13-08-2017 02:13 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  Laugh out load

Only micro-evolution. Silly me.

See and the problem with creationists is you can't deploy a timescale in order to show them that if mutation after mutation like this happened over millions of years, you would likely end up with something that looked very little like our original Lodgepole Pine. Even now, that is a significant divergence from what a regular Lodgepole Pine is capable of (which is what got me so excited.) Over ten million years, and millions of new mutations, a significant divergence from that species (with subsequent and further diversity coming about as these new species that have arisen also undergo their own mutations,) and over hundreds of millions of years, perhaps reclassification into a different genus or family.

When you're only given 6-10000 years to work with by your holy book, the idea can seem pretty far-fetched can't it.

Oh well. At least I have another great example of micro-evolution under my belt. Wanted to share it with you all. Smile

I get thrilled watching even smaller evolutionary events than that one. It's all around us if we bother to watch.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post