Evidence of Natural Selection Leading to Evolution Before My Canadian Eyes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2017, 04:44 PM
RE: Evidence of Natural Selection Leading to Evolution Before My Canadian Eyes
(21-10-2017 08:14 AM)theophilus Wrote:  I pointed out that the human lifespan has decreased.

Guy lives 900 years, but after the first 70 or so you never hear from him again. Nobody consults him, he isn't in a leadership position, the records don't record his words.

If you were a woman you'd be pregnant all the time. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2017, 06:42 AM
(21-10-2017 08:14 AM)theophilus Wrote:  God knew exactly what would happen. I don't know why he went ahead and did it anyway but that is because I am only human and I can't understand the reason God does the things he does. All I know is that the final result of his actions is good.

> Describe your God's attributes.

> “Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?” (Epicurus) Consider
Find all posts by this user
22-10-2017, 07:20 AM
(21-10-2017 08:14 AM)theophilus Wrote:  I don't know why he went ahead and did it anyway but that is because I am only human and I can't understand the reason God does the things he does. All I know is that the final result of his actions is good.

What yardstick are you using to judge that the final result is good? If it is because god is by definition good then it is an arbitrary and meaningless evaluation. You have no criteria to objectively compare "good" vs "evil" because "good" is simply being declared by fiat. In that case what you "know" is worthless because it is not based on any critical thought process.

If you are judging based on an independent evaluation of the actions and you think setting up a system that punishes innocent victims for the actions of others and demands love under threat of eternal torture can reasonably be called "good" then I think your moral compass is seriously warped.

The god described in the bible is a petty, vindictive tyrant and the Jesus avatar he used to try to present a more appealing image is a transparent sham covering the same bloodthirsty underpinings. Yahweh runs his universe like a mafia boss but at least when the mafia boss has you killed he's done with you.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
22-10-2017, 08:28 AM
(22-10-2017 07:20 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(21-10-2017 08:14 AM)theophilus Wrote:  I don't know why he went ahead and did it anyway but that is because I am only human and I can't understand the reason God does the things he does. All I know is that the final result of his actions is good.

What yardstick are you using to judge that the final result is good? If it is because god is by definition good then it is an arbitrary and meaningless evaluation. You have no criteria to objectively compare "good" vs "evil" because "good" is simply being declared by fiat. In that case what you "know" is worthless because it is not based on any critical thought process.

If you are judging based on an independent evaluation of the actions and you think setting up a system that punishes innocent victims for the actions of others and demands love under threat of eternal torture can reasonably be called "good" then I think your moral compass is seriously warped.

The god described in the bible is a petty, vindictive tyrant and the Jesus avatar he used to try to present a more appealing image is a transparent sham covering the same bloodthirsty underpinings. Yahweh runs his universe like a mafia boss but at least when the mafia boss has you killed he's done with you.

God in the OT is explicitly claimed to be just, fair, merciful and compassionate, and more. If God does something that is not merciful, compassionate, or just, God is not good. And the mythology of the OT tells us God does things that are not just or merciful etc. I started developing this sub-goodnesses of God argument years ago when I debated theists who tried to proclaim that when we speak of God, good has a meaning different from when we talk of men being good. Not only does the OT and NT make claims about God's sub-goodnesses, but gives examples of what these sub-goodnesses mean.

I simply refuse to let theists get away with redefining words until words lose all meaning. Special pleading run riot. Intellectual nihilism and utter abandonment of rationality in name of theology.

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter
- Thomas Jefferson

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
23-10-2017, 07:10 AM
(21-10-2017 10:47 AM)natachan Wrote:  In the real world human lifespan has been increasing over time as nutrition and medicine have improved.

People are being kept alive longer be cause fewer are dying before they reached their full lifespan. Eventually a point is reached where it is impossible to sustain life any longer. No one can keep someone alive several hundred years, the lifespan that was once considered normal.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
23-10-2017, 07:32 AM
In fiction. No one lives several hundred years. Never happened. And there's no reason to think otherwise. In the real world the evidence suggests humans died in their 50's and 60's most often if they lived to adulthood, and that would be considered a long life. That is considered young now. Before agriculture humans would die in their 30's and 40's due to injury, and that would be normal. After agriculture nutrition increased and while people still died that young it was more common for them to live into their 50's and 60's. And that's assuming they survived to adulthood.

Your assertion is that we used to live for several hundred years because the Bible says so. I say that the Bible is a bad source for that. You need corroboration for that. Especially since the Bible says a bunch of other stuff, which was pointed out, which we know is WRONG. Mental illness isn't demons, and the idea that it is causes real suffering and harm. Disease isn't cured by spreading animal blood, which is a great way to spread disease. Donkeys don't talk, and they certainly don't scold their riders.
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
23-10-2017, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2017 08:27 AM by OakTree500.)
(23-10-2017 07:10 AM)theophilus Wrote:  People are being kept alive longer be cause fewer are dying before they reached their full lifespan. Eventually a point is reached where it is impossible to sustain life any longer. No one can keep someone alive several hundred years, the lifespan that was once considered normal.
The fucking hell have I just read?

Please tell me, that you do not honestly believe human beings used to live for hundreds of years at a time?

For fucks sake. Facepalm

Quick edit: I really cannot believe the age we live in, where you can research almost any piece of information on your phone, practically anywhere in the world, and we have odd fellows like THIS GUY who for some un-fucking-known reason, think the bible is LITERAL. Fucking Litteral? So much so, infact, that he honestly believes that people used to live for 500 years at a time, if not longer.

What a gimp.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
23-10-2017, 09:15 AM
[Image: Vancouver%20Canada%20t-shirt.jpg]

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]