Evidence on Evolution and The Big Bang Theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Evidence on Evolution and The Big Bang Theory
I've read up on Evolution some, I don't doubt it but would not be informed enough to answer questions myself. I was wondering if you guys could lead me to some readings besides the greatest show on earth (I got that one, but reading slowly)! So Evolution and my new interest is the big bang theory. How much science backs up the big bang? Can anyone explain it to me? Are there competing theories or is the big bang the strongest theory right now?

“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.”
― Baruch Spinoza
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2012, 02:06 AM
RE: Evidence on Evolution and The Big Bang Theory
Why Evolution is True by Jerry A. Coyne makes an excellent case for evolution. I'm sure there are better books out there, but this is one of the best I have read.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
27-08-2012, 04:42 AM
There will always be "competing" theories since people always have a reason to doubt or be skeptical of something, or have their own reasons to oppose. But the difference between a theory that is adopted vs a theory that is simply trying to compete for the same position is how well it holds up to scrutiny and passing the test of holding up to the skepticism. That is what makes good science, good science and why bad science is not adopted.
27-08-2012, 05:31 AM
(27-08-2012 01:52 AM)Alice Wrote:  I've read up on Evolution some, I don't doubt it but would not be informed enough to answer questions myself. I was wondering if you guys could lead me to some readings besides the greatest show on earth (I got that one, but reading slowly)! So Evolution and my new interest is the big bang theory. How much science backs up the big bang? Can anyone explain it to me? Are there competing theories or is the big bang the strongest theory right now?

Carl Sagan's Cosmos is a readable introduction to cosmology.

Richard Dawkins's River Out of Eden is a lovely book on evolution.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-08-2012, 06:05 AM
That's a pretty big quesiton OP. I'd start with some links or YT vids. Search for 'expanding universe' and 'cosmic microwave background radiation'. Plenty of info out there on those. You can find plenty of Dawkins material on evolution.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
27-08-2012, 08:26 AM
The series "Walking with Monsters" and the others are also good for visual overviews with good summations for the history of life on Earth. There are some mistakes and some stretches but they are overall pretty good. I think the BBC and Discovery both have versions. I would say the BBC versions are probably better, I like Attenborough and he tends to narrate for the BBC.

There is also the Blue Planet and Life documentaries but I have never seen all of them, but I think they also discuss a lot about evolutionary adaptations.

These are all good starters to find something more interesting to look up specifically. Like the transition from ocean to land in vertebrates summarized in "Your Inner Fish". I haven't read that particular book but I know the author is one of the co-authors on the papers detailing Tiktaalik.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
27-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Richard Dawkins' "The Blind Watchmaker" is the book I read to really "get it"
27-08-2012, 10:09 AM
(27-08-2012 05:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 01:52 AM)Alice Wrote:  I've read up on Evolution some, I don't doubt it but would not be informed enough to answer questions myself. I was wondering if you guys could lead me to some readings besides the greatest show on earth (I got that one, but reading slowly)! So Evolution and my new interest is the big bang theory. How much science backs up the big bang? Can anyone explain it to me? Are there competing theories or is the big bang the strongest theory right now?

Carl Sagan's Cosmos is a readable introduction to cosmology.

Richard Dawkins's River Out of Eden is a lovely book on evolution.

Also, Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" is a video series. It's a bit dated, having been filmed in the 70s, but some of the info has been updated and it really is a good way to learn about cosmology.

I recently watched this series. It's streaming on Netflix: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/b...human.html

Also, the video series "The Universe" as a lot of info on the Big Bang and astronomy. It's also streaming on Netflix.

A more simpler version is "How The Universe Works" which is a Discovery channel series and I also watched it on Netflix.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
27-08-2012, 11:07 AM
(27-08-2012 01:52 AM)Alice Wrote:  I've read up on Evolution some, I don't doubt it but would not be informed enough to answer questions myself. I was wondering if you guys could lead me to some readings besides the greatest show on earth (I got that one, but reading slowly)!

just jump on the internet and put inquiries into google and just read.

The go outside and apply what you've learned.

Heck, do you look like your parents? Are you from a sperm/egg of them?

Were you a guppy, in mom's tummy during your embryotic development?

There is even a point when i looked like the cutest little puppy dog-looking critter?

Quote: So Evolution and my new interest is the big bang theory.
whole different critters, right there.

evolution represents a 'living' process, 'growing-developing' over time and the BB is a bunch of garbage as to what guys playing tic tac toe do during coffee, try to predict. It is admirable to try on many fronts but to claim, the universe started as a BB from from central point is like believing a 'god' started it all.

Quote: How much science backs up the big bang?
None
Quote:Can anyone explain it to me?
sure.

If 'it all' started at a central point and blew up, from there, in a sphere (per se), then according to the 'laws of physics' the universe should have just expanded to equilibrate and never even slow down (nothing to slow it, nothing to come back together)

Quote: Are there competing theories or is the big bang the strongest theory right now?
a gazillion of them.

BUT, i like my little view.

WE, (people/mankind/conscious life), were and all all born between the time periods of 'the beginning' and 'the ending'. We are sitting right here.

So to define, what is real, right here, is far more important than making up stories about, what aint even known to be real. Be is a heaven and hell, or a big bang, making it all from a single point. What them physicist did was use the defining of energy/mass and then estimate how much mass the universe must have in order to combine all that mass, and all that energy into a set of equations (viral theorem), then reverse time to see what happens, mathematically.

That's it!

all the stuff on TV is as speculative as god making a man in a garden.

I will tell you clearly, the current paradigm in use to describe how nature operates is not correct. Think of it as, once people actually thought the earth was the center of everything and ptolemaic math, could describe how the planets (roaming bodies) criss crossed the night sky, and it was all basics accedemics, back then.

well, that is what we have now: Gravity was brilliant but not even newton or einsten knew what gravity was (is).

and to combine the knowledge available on the internet, you will find that many disciplines are using experimental evidence, then deifning the processes (life).

At the big big big scale, read up on the 'rotation mass curve' of the galaxies. When the Hubble telescope was put into space, it offered the best evidence possible to prove, unequivocally, that the math (predictions) do not meet the evidence of how the universe turns.

and the sooner a seeking person realizes that, the sooner you can invoke yourself to do the actual homework to assist in redefining nature (itself).

On the internet, you have access to material to the extent that if you truly put the effort in, you can define, just about anything. Just be fair to yourself. ie.... are you doing your 'best'?
04-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Thank you everyone I will be looking into these....I am reading Richard Dawkins The Best Show on Earth right now All about evolution and have watched some things on it as well, so I don't doubt evolution. I was just looking for more info on it besides what I already know. My main thing was a interest in the bing bang theory and knowing how much science was behind that, so thank you all for your information.

“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.”
― Baruch Spinoza