Evidence which would constitute God's Existence ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2014, 05:14 PM
RE: Evidence which would constitute God's Existence ...
(13-02-2014 03:47 PM)fmudd Wrote:  Christian Friend: "Since this was brought up in another thread I thought I would separate it out here: What constitutes evidence of gods existence?"

Have the SOB put another moon in Earth’s orbit, or have people start growing limbs back...simple stuff, really. I’m easily swayed.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2014, 05:21 PM
(31-12-2014 05:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 03:47 PM)fmudd Wrote:  Christian Friend: "Since this was brought up in another thread I thought I would separate it out here: What constitutes evidence of gods existence?"

Have the SOB put another moon in Earth’s orbit, or have people start growing limbs back...simple stuff, really. I’m easily swayed.

We know who the SOB is in this discussion.

If a miracle happened you would explain it away. If you couldn't explain it; you would simply say that you don't have all the answers.
31-12-2014, 05:26 PM
(31-12-2014 05:01 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Not that simple. You see the difference is that god is given attributes, traits, etc, that needs evidnece. Red is just something on the spectrum. It exist to most of us because many can see the color. If anything a blind man can't describe red, but the can describe what a color is.

I think you guys have stated and I agree that there is no one definition of God and God is experienced in many different ways across millions of people and hundreds of thousands of years.

You are looking for one measure that not only fits the boundaries of science but captures all of the internal personal, individual experiences of millions of people across time?
31-12-2014, 05:59 PM
(31-12-2014 05:21 PM)fmudd Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 05:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Have the SOB put another moon in Earth’s orbit, or have people start growing limbs back...simple stuff, really. I’m easily swayed.

We know who the SOB is in this discussion.

If a miracle happened you would explain it away. If you couldn't explain it; you would simply say that you don't have all the answers.

If someone prayed to Allah after getting their legs blown off by an IED, and then his legs,right then and there grew back; I'd be the next Muslim.

But you know...that shit doesn't happen.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
31-12-2014, 06:06 PM
(31-12-2014 04:52 PM)fmudd Wrote:  We are in agreement; I agree that no one can accurately describe God as God is experienced personally; unlike science which you hold up through standardization and repeatability and has clear language, metrics, measures, KPIs, etc.

That's a non-sequitur.
Describing the gods has nothing whatever to do with my understanding of science (which you know nothing about), except BOTH are totally processes which occur ONLY in human brains, and are all LEARNED concepts, utterly dependent on brain chemistry.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-12-2014, 06:58 PM
(31-12-2014 05:01 PM)fmudd Wrote:  I have two questions then, why do you insist on (1) God being external

If your god is nothing except a personal experience then fine but that's not what is usually meant by the term. Calling something solely internal "god" is just bringing in a lot of baggage that doesn't apply.

Quote:and (2) why do you think you can use scientific instruments to easily describe a personal experience?

Apart from what can be detected of the physical brain state, I don't.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
02-01-2015, 03:03 PM
(31-12-2014 06:58 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 05:01 PM)fmudd Wrote:  I have two questions then, why do you insist on (1) God being external
If your god is nothing except a personal experience then fine but that's not what is usually meant by the term. Calling something solely internal "god" is just bringing in a lot of baggage that doesn't apply.

Is the color RED a personal experience?
02-01-2015, 03:05 PM
(31-12-2014 05:59 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 05:21 PM)fmudd Wrote:  We know who the SOB is in this discussion.

If someone prayed to Allah after getting their legs blown off by an IED, and then his legs,right then and there grew back; I'd be the next Muslim.

But you know...that shit doesn't happen.

So it is only a miracle if you accept it?
02-01-2015, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2015 04:29 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-01-2015 03:03 PM)fmudd Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 06:58 PM)unfogged Wrote:  If your god is nothing except a personal experience then fine but that's not what is usually meant by the term. Calling something solely internal "god" is just bringing in a lot of baggage that doesn't apply.

Is the color RED a personal experience?

It is. And it's verifiable in a number of ways, (MRI, PET Scan, self-reporting).
It experiences what others call "red", and LEARNS what language to associate with the learned sensory experience. It's "an experience" which BY LEARNING, a human brain associates with a certain range of visual signals (photons in a certain energy range) that trigger reactions in a certain specific range of cells (rods and cones) in the back of the eye, (assuming the eye is normal and functioning normally). If the subject is color blind they don't "experience red". The photos are still emitted in the range they are emitted from whatever they are bouncing off from, or emitted from, but the subject does not perceive them as "red".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
02-01-2015, 04:45 PM
(02-01-2015 04:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It is. And it's verifiable in a number of ways, (MRI, PET Scan, self-reporting).
It experiences what others call "red", and LEARNS what language to associate with the learned sensory experience. It's "an experience" which BY LEARNING, a human brain associates with a certain range of visual signals (photons in a certain energy range) that trigger reactions in a certain specific range of cells (rods and cones) in the back of the eye, (assuming the eye is normal and functioning normally). If the subject is color blind they don't "experience red". The photos are still emitted in the range they are emitted from whatever they are bouncing off from, or emitted from, but the subject does not perceive them as "red".

Yes, red is experienced personally. Everything you described is HOW that experience is translated or understood by the brain.

But having a person then articulate the experience of the color red and then translate that into words that a blind person can understand and have them experience red is where the difficulty comes in.

That is what we are talking about.