Evil USA perspective.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-04-2015, 05:04 AM
RE: Evil USA perspective.
(11-04-2015 05:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 05:16 PM)Judi Lynn Wrote:  Because if you would have read previous responses, you would have seen why I said what I said.

I read it in context and it was more than hyperbole - it was over the top.

Do you not know what the conditions in North Korea actually are? Consider

Does anyone outside of North Korea?
genuine question

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2015, 05:33 AM
(11-04-2015 05:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Does anyone outside of North Korea?
genuine question

Well, we can be pretty sure from satilite images that they have work camps. Rumours are they have 3 generation prison sentances, meaning that if you commit a crime, the next 3 generations of your family will be born and live in prison. Also, I heard that they have a radio in each home that they cannot turn off. They are required by law to have photographs hanging up of their glorious leader and his father. They have to choose from around 20 government approved hairstyles. Not even 10% of the population have access to the internet. They are in the middle of a famine. The food relief we send them, they are told they are tributes to their leader. They are selling their people into slavery to the russians to log forests. They are executed or imprisoned if they are found with anything religious. They built an entire propaganda town on the border with South Korea just to intimidate them, no body lives there, there is no glass in the buildings but street lights turn on and off and they have street sweepers to give the appearence of activity. Oh and lets not forget that the government is a dictatorship run by the only obese person in North Korea who likes to kill anyone who disagrees with him (including his family) and who is worshipped as a god by the people.

So....yea. America is no-where near as bad as North Korea. Polar opposites in fact.
[+] 2 users Like Bad Wolf's post
11-04-2015, 05:34 AM
(11-04-2015 05:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 05:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  I read it in context and it was more than hyperbole - it was over the top.

Do you not know what the conditions in North Korea actually are? Consider

Does anyone outside of North Korea?
genuine question

Visit to a Small Planet - Vanity Fair (June 2001) - Christopher Hitchens

"North Koreans worship their dead dictator, Kim Il Sung, and his son the reigning Kim Jong Il, despite the surreal nightmare of famine, isolation, repression, and nuclear peril the dynasty has spawned. In Pyongyang, the author wonders whether mass delusion is the only thing that keeps a people sane."

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
11-04-2015, 05:47 AM
(11-04-2015 05:33 AM)Bad Wolf Wrote:  So....yea. America is no-where near as bad as North Korea. Polar opposites in fact.

I never got why americans always go "at least we ain't____"

Go ahead and say you are not in those countries but why not go "Damnit, we should be more like______"

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
11-04-2015, 06:08 AM
Okay I got way over my head in this thread, could have at least gone easy on me you bastards. I''m trying to learn and learn so forgive my assertions in first post Smile

For the record, I'm not from the US nor do I live there, for all those referring to me/US as "you".

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
11-04-2015, 07:16 AM
(11-04-2015 05:33 AM)Bad Wolf Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 05:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Does anyone outside of North Korea?
genuine question

Well, we can be pretty sure from satilite images that they have work camps. Rumours are they have 3 generation prison sentances, meaning that if you commit a crime, the next 3 generations of your family will be born and live in prison. Also, I heard that they have a radio in each home that they cannot turn off. They are required by law to have photographs hanging up of their glorious leader and his father. They have to choose from around 20 government approved hairstyles. Not even 10% of the population have access to the internet. They are in the middle of a famine. The food relief we send them, they are told they are tributes to their leader. They are selling their people into slavery to the russians to log forests. They are executed or imprisoned if they are found with anything religious. They built an entire propaganda town on the border with South Korea just to intimidate them, no body lives there, there is no glass in the buildings but street lights turn on and off and they have street sweepers to give the appearence of activity. Oh and lets not forget that the government is a dictatorship run by the only obese person in North Korea who likes to kill anyone who disagrees with him (including his family) and who is worshipped as a god by the people.

So....yea. America is no-where near as bad as North Korea. Polar opposites in fact.

I did not know all of that. I stand corrected. Clearly, living in the US is roses compared to NK.

Thank you Bad Wolf for giving examples of that country and presenting it in a way that wasn't attacking me for my opinions. It's appreciated.
11-04-2015, 07:54 AM
(11-04-2015 07:16 AM)Judi Lynn Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 05:33 AM)Bad Wolf Wrote:  Well, we can be pretty sure from satilite images that they have work camps. Rumours are they have 3 generation prison sentances, meaning that if you commit a crime, the next 3 generations of your family will be born and live in prison. Also, I heard that they have a radio in each home that they cannot turn off. They are required by law to have photographs hanging up of their glorious leader and his father. They have to choose from around 20 government approved hairstyles. Not even 10% of the population have access to the internet. They are in the middle of a famine. The food relief we send them, they are told they are tributes to their leader. They are selling their people into slavery to the russians to log forests. They are executed or imprisoned if they are found with anything religious. They built an entire propaganda town on the border with South Korea just to intimidate them, no body lives there, there is no glass in the buildings but street lights turn on and off and they have street sweepers to give the appearence of activity. Oh and lets not forget that the government is a dictatorship run by the only obese person in North Korea who likes to kill anyone who disagrees with him (including his family) and who is worshipped as a god by the people.

I did not know all of that. I stand corrected. Clearly, living in the US is roses compared to NK.

Thank you Bad Wolf for giving examples of that country and presenting it in a way that wasn't attacking me for my opinions. It's appreciated.

Ah, so it was you who needed to brush up on your history.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
11-04-2015, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2015 10:12 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
I think what makes things hard for many of us Americans is that many Americans buy into the myth of American Exceptionalism, and see our nation as exemplar. When you couple that with an appalling ignorance of history even in our leaders, you get stupid decisions like the Second Iraq War, which fully merit the criticism of the world. On the other hand, we often catch criticism from onlookers abroad who have often never even visited (much less lived) here, over matters that do not affect them in the least, and it comes across as a way for them to feel superior to someone.

Nations practice statecraft, not morality. We would like our nation to behave in the right manner, but that rarely happens, with any nation.

(10-04-2015 12:23 PM)Blackout Wrote:  Freedom of speech and religion - It doesn't look that way from what I've seen on atheist forums - Some things that I see happening in American would be labelled theocratic in Europe

And yet Europe has laws prohibiting Holocaust denial or hate speech, and outlaws some sects. While America is a more religious country than most European countries, places like Poland, Ireland, or Italy have such a large religious presence in social terms that they could be labeled "theocratic" ... but aren't. Perhaps because they're European?

Quote:Saudi arabia and NK are extreme comparisons. But is America that good compared to Russia or China? Well China is a dictatorship, but how else do you propose to rule over close to 2.0 billion people with diverse ethnicities and multi-conflictual interests? Russia is an oligarchy, we all know that, but so is America - i don't see Russia invading ex URSS any worse than the US invading Iraq

I think both countries have fewer freedoms than America. Speaking out against either government in those countries courts imprisonment. Such risk as exists here for that is far, far smaller. Also, justifying Chinese dictatorship by the size of its population doesn't really makes sense. What is the cutoff point, numerically, for democracy's inefficiency? And does that make that dictatorship morally acceptable? If size dictates an autocratic government (as you seem to be arguing here), would not the moral solution be a number of smaller democracies?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
11-04-2015, 10:04 AM
(11-04-2015 07:54 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 07:16 AM)Judi Lynn Wrote:  I did not know all of that. I stand corrected. Clearly, living in the US is roses compared to NK.

Ah, so it was you who needed to brush up on your history.

No need to act like an asshole about it. I admitted I was incorrect about North Korea. Not what I know about my own country. There's a difference. And at least I'm willing to admit my error. Unlike you.
11-04-2015, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2015 10:29 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)