Evil atheists suing pizza joint?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2014, 02:18 AM
RE: Evil atheists suing pizza joint?
(21-08-2014 04:35 PM)pablo Wrote:  It's a form of discrimination. Giving a discount to one group while excluding another.

Should they be sued? No.
Should they stop doing it? Edit: It depends

It's not though. It's not giving a discount to a group of people, it's giving a discount for people doing something. Like newspaper coupons. Not everyone is gonna cut out and use newspaper coupons but those that do get a discount.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
22-08-2014, 03:09 AM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2014 03:16 AM by pablo.)
(22-08-2014 02:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 04:35 PM)pablo Wrote:  It's a form of discrimination. Giving a discount to one group while excluding another.

Should they be sued? No.
Should they stop doing it? Edit: It depends

It's not though. It's not giving a discount to a group of people, it's giving a discount for people doing something. Like newspaper coupons. Not everyone is gonna cut out and use newspaper coupons but those that do get a discount.

The two groups do not have equal access to the coupons. Why not say they get a discount if they bring a pamphlet from the last local AA meeting? Not everyone has access to AA pamphlets because not everyone is an alcoholic and they don't go to the meetings.
22-08-2014, 03:30 AM
Re: RE: Evil atheists suing pizza joint?
(22-08-2014 03:09 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 02:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's not though. It's not giving a discount to a group of people, it's giving a discount for people doing something. Like newspaper coupons. Not everyone is gonna cut out and use newspaper coupons but those that do get a discount.

The two groups do not have equal access to the coupons. Why not say they get a discount if they bring a pamphlet from the last local AA meeting? Not everyone has access to AA pamphlets because not everyone is an alcoholic and they don't go to the meetings.

There's no right that makes them need equal access to coupons.

There's businesses with student discounts, teacher discounts, flyers, newspaper coupons, etc. Not everyone has these benefits either, but they're connected to an action of doing something and getting the benefit of it. Rebates work in that manner too.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
22-08-2014, 03:53 AM
(21-08-2014 03:59 PM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  As long as he doesn't refuse to serve gays, atheists or other categories of "sinners" I'm perfectly fine with him giving discounts to whomever he pleases. It's his money, after all.

It isn't that it should be against the law, but just like the restaurant in NC with the prayer discount, this guy is not going to be able to be fair. If a gay group or atheist group bring in their announcements, will he do the same. If he does not then that can become a lawsuit.

I simply think it is stupid, even if legal, because your goal as a business owner is to make money, so I'd say to him, do one or the other, not both.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2014, 04:28 AM
(22-08-2014 03:30 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 03:09 AM)pablo Wrote:  The two groups do not have equal access to the coupons. Why not say they get a discount if they bring a pamphlet from the last local AA meeting? Not everyone has access to AA pamphlets because not everyone is an alcoholic and they don't go to the meetings.

There's no right that makes them need equal access to coupons.

There's businesses with student discounts, teacher discounts, flyers, newspaper coupons, etc. Not everyone has these benefits either, but they're connected to an action of doing something and getting the benefit of it. Rebates work in that manner too.

Because these other types of discounts exist doesn't mean they aren't exclusionary.
I never said equal access was a right. I never said it was illegal.
What I did say, is that it's an exclusionary practice.
22-08-2014, 05:13 AM
As long as something in the title of his business and on the inside is apparent that its a religious establishment and he is not ambushing people with the bible and holding out signs that tell people that they are evil and they need to join his cult.

I guess its kinda unfair, but if that is the model and clients he wants in his establishment, than I guess its OK. Plenty of other pizza places out there.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
22-08-2014, 06:49 AM
The owner can give discounts in any way he likes.

But any atheist could also do the following:
"oh, yes Could you please give me one of your delicious church bulletins...er, I mean...a church bulletin. No,no, father, pastor or whatever you are. I'm not just doing this for a pizza discount. I really belive in anchovies..er..I mean god...yeah, that's the ticket"
23-08-2014, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2014 12:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
It is illegal and violates the Civil Rights Act. That is why they were sued. To their credit the restaurant recognized it as such as soon as they received the letter from the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

“We at Mary’s value the support of all of our fellow Americans. While you may exercise your right of religious freedom at this restaurant by praying over your meal to any entity or non-entity, we must protect your freedom from religion in a public place,” the note read. “We are no longer issuing the 15% praying in public discount. It is illegal and we are being threatened by lawsuit. We apologize to our community for any offense this discount has incurred.”

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-08-2014, 01:34 AM
(21-08-2014 07:36 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Some years ago my son drove from Denver back to NY. He mentioned that he stopped in Iowa for dinner and ordered chicken parm. It was awful. Basically a frozen chicken patty with tomato soup and a piece of white American cheese on it.

I told him that, aside from Chicago, to never, ever, order Italian food anywhere west of Jersey City and east of San Francisco.

Oh come one, we have really good family owned and operated Italian restaurants here in Erie, Pennsylvania. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
25-08-2014, 11:35 AM
The one with the bulletin I really do not see it being a big deal. Not much different that bringing a ticket for an event you attended to get a discount. The discount for saying grace was messed up, really could not support that one.