Evil heathen here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2014, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 04:40 PM by microterf.)
Evil heathen here
I am new to this site, and would like to introduce myself. I was raised a christian, but at 12 I had a conversation with myself and realized that it didn't make any sense, and there probably wasn't a god. Later I started to volunteer at a church hoping would learn something new. After working in the tech booth 3 services a week for 5 years, my views were only reaffirmed. For the last two years I have been studying the history of the bible, the bible, and everything I could. I found Sam Harris, and some other great authors on reason, which helped me to realize the problem with religion.

I really look forward to posting more on this forum and hearing others opinions.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like microterf's post
08-11-2014, 04:53 PM
RE: Evil heathen here
Hey evil, I'm even. Big Grin

Welcome to the circus!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
08-11-2014, 05:40 PM
lol Even Big Grin

Welcome microterf! Smile

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
08-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Welcome aboard! Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
08-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Welcome!
08-11-2014, 05:55 PM
(08-11-2014 04:34 PM)microterf Wrote:  I am new to this site, and would like to introduce myself. I was raised a christian, but at 12 I had a conversation with myself and realized that it didn't make any sense, and there probably wasn't a god. Later I started to volunteer at a church hoping would learn something new. After working in the tech booth 3 services a week for 5 years, my views were only reaffirmed. For the last two years I have been studying the history of the bible, the bible, and everything I could. I found Sam Harris, and some other great authors on reason, which helped me to realize the problem with religion.

I really look forward to posting more on this forum and hearing others opinions.

G'day and welcome to your humble abode. I do hope that you find your stay to be an enlightening, educative, enjoyable and prolonged stay indeed.

(08-11-2014 04:34 PM)microterf Wrote:  I am new to this site, and would like to introduce myself. I was raised a christian, but at 12 I had a conversation with myself and realized that it didn't make any sense ...

You're right. Having a conversation with yourself doesn't make sense. Big Grin

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
08-11-2014, 06:03 PM
"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit", God save your sorry soul.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
08-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Welcome!

I had similar thoughts about Christianity not making sense, too, when I was younger. Indoctrination convinced me the problem was me, not the religion.

Funny things happen when you sit down and study the bible and your religion with a critical eye. It still makes no damn sense.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
08-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Realized the same when I read the bible at age 10.

Welcome, pull up a chair and join right in! Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-11-2014, 06:33 PM
(08-11-2014 04:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Hey evil, I'm even. Big Grin

Welcome to the circus!

Evil Heathen
evenheathen
Unsure
Who's on first?

Welcome Microterf Big Grin