'Evil' versus 'Stupidity'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2011, 06:31 AM

'Evil' versus 'Stupidity'
I see two major ‘forces’ destroying the world: evil and stupidity. I have been wondering for many years now: which of the two is the more potent force. Often I think that ‘evil’ is more deadly but ‘stupid’ is more numerous and ‘evil’ could not triumph without ‘stupid’.

Schiller thought that ‘Stupid’ was the deadliest force in the Universe: “Against stupidity the very Gods themselves contend in vain”, he says, and I am often tempted to agree with him. Isaac Asimov agreed with Schiller, to the point of using “The Gods Themselves” as the title of one of his best novels.

I have read a few good books on these subjects, among them Lyall Watson’s “Dark Nature - A Natural History of Evil”; James Welles’s “The Story of Stupidity” and Paul Tabori’s “History of Stupidity”.

Slowly a picture is emerging in my mind about the interplay between these 'forces' and their general nature. I am just curious if anyone else has wondered about similar things and what conclusion, if any, they have arrived at.
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2011, 09:55 PM
RE: 'Evil' versus 'Stupidity'
(08-09-2011 06:31 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  I see two major ‘forces’ destroying the world: evil and stupidity. I have been wondering for many years now: which of the two is the more potent force. Often I think that ‘evil’ is more deadly but ‘stupid’ is more numerous and ‘evil’ could not triumph without ‘stupid’.

I think you're right about that last part. Stupid people are easily swayed, and led. They are easy for evil people to take advantage of. We see examples of these evil people all the time, taking advantage of stupid folk. They're called megachurch preachers. Or politicians.

Sorry. Wink But I think you get my meaning.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply