Evil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2013, 12:01 AM
RE: Evil?
It's been very eye-opening reading your responses, the lines of neutral and evil seem to be crossed for many people.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2014, 04:40 AM
(06-08-2013 09:25 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  There are things that are against the law. We can do things to hurt ourselves. We can do things to hurt others. But what is evil? Can we really make it stop? Does it even really exist or are we denying some parts of humanity and human nature that we don't want to see in our "civilized" world?

I do think that there is an objective standard of good or evil, but I have a hard time getting theists to even talk about the matter. I don't really know how to define evil but I am trying to figure it out. I am glad that you are asking the question. I do not want to call anyone evil until I know what it actually means!

My current project is explaining why many things in this world are irrelevant to me.
[+] 1 user Likes chandlerklebs's post
21-02-2014, 05:12 AM
I never use the word. I tend to view it as something naturally unattainable--something supernatural, void of good: Jesus the complete good; Lucifer the complete bad.

And, I see wrongful human behavior as only a part of that person not the whole person.

I am aware that the definition is more complex than this, but the definitions are confusing, and I believe most suggest an element of the supernatural.

Someone is going to bring up Hitler, right?

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
21-02-2014, 06:16 AM
(21-02-2014 05:12 AM)Dee Wrote:  ...
Someone is going to bring up Hitler, right?

Not in a thread this old.

Drinking Beverage

21-02-2014, 06:23 AM
He, he, he. I'm cracking up! The resurrected.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
21-02-2014, 06:49 AM
(06-08-2013 11:50 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 11:42 PM)Juv Wrote:  Those things are considered evil by many people.

Those people would be wrong, and evil themselves if causing preventable harm was something they cherished.

The 20th century disagrees with you.
21-02-2014, 12:26 PM
(06-08-2013 09:25 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  ... what is evil?
Well, it isn't bad weather or earthquakes, even though those things slay us by millions every year. It isn't disease either, even though disease slays us by hundreds of millions every year. Whatever evil is, its carnage is small potatoes compared to the carnage of nature. So evil can't be mere carnage, because evil offends us and bad weather doesn't.

The core of of evilness is that it offends. Offence requires an offending agent. So evil requires a transgressor to commit it.

The problem, though, is that the proportion of people in the world who view themselves as transgressors is an infinitesimal fragment of the proportion of people in the world whom are regarded as transgressors. In a nutshell, it's always that other guy who's evil, not me.

Or put another way, it isn't that some poor SOB gets rubbed out that's evil, it's that the poor SOB got rubbed out for the wrong reason - by somebody else.
It should be obvious that that's a very lopsided view, which fails to acknowledge that in any group of people there will be conflicting interests, and ANY interest advanced will be at the expense of the ones in conflict. Thus a small group of a few dozen people felt that killing 3000 people Sep 11 was a legitimate advancement of their interests, and 300 million people immediately afterward felt that killing hundreds of thousands to millions more was a legitimate advancement of THEIR interest in making a statement that killing thousands FOR THE WRONG REASON is evil.

To my mind, what's "evil" is believing that there's no "evil" in committing "evil" for the "right" reasons. But that's just my biased interest.

Evil as it is commonly regarded won't go away until we achieve parity in the proportion of people who acknowledge themselves as transgressors vs the proportion of people who are regarded as transgressors by everybody else.

Good luck with that ever happening.
21-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Evil is an overly emotional non logical term.
21-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Good answers newbies
21-02-2014, 02:17 PM
I think starving people to death is evil.