Evil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2014, 11:23 AM
RE: Evil?
Most people interpret evil as the choices that we make which impact negatively on others. I think that our decisions are predetermined by and in flux with our experiences. If our choices are the product of causality, then so is good and evil. If a man walks down the street and notices that an old lady has dropped her purse then he is presented with choices. Countless choices. I mean, he could ignore the old lady and the purse all together, take off his clothes and climb a lamp post shouting "I am the eagle"... But for arguments sake lets limit him to just two choices; A) He keeps the purse and spends the loot, potentially landing the old lady upon hard times or B) He returns the purse and wishes her a pleasant day. At the moment that this choice presents itself, the man is already subject to act and think in a certain way. His decision is backed by every experience that has shaped his perspective of the world and his way of thinking. So if he keeps the purse and thinks 'fuck the old lady, this purse is mine!' then he isn't evil, he is just the psychological product of whatever his life has been so far. If he gives the purse back then he is not good, just the same again, that's what this particular product of chaos theory would do. If he gets nude and climbs a lamp post then he ain't crazy, his life has just made him 'unconventional'. Evil and good are just a handy categories in which we can place certain deterministic choices that people make that are either harmful or beneficial to others. That's where the law comes into it. Society chooses what kind of thing it definitely wishes to protect itself from, this thing is acknowledged as negative and laws are enforced to make sure it doesn't happen to people as much. A fairly good idea until the people who make or enforce the rules get carried away. So yeah, I don't much believe that evil exists. I think of a killer the same way as a dangerous animal, if they are dangerous to me or my loved ones then I would like to keep my distance - but it certainly has nothing to do with small winged beasts whispering in their ear.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 10:44 PM
For me evil is fear mixed with power. And fear can only come from ingorance. Not ignorance in the sense of how cultured one might be, but simple ignorance as a consequence of individuals hiding truths from others. I don't believe we have a thing such as evil in us. A child is born without such a quality, but as we grow, we become aware of one thing surely at one point. At one point in our lives everyone will experience loneliness. That feeling can be shocking, it is way more closer to real human nature that we are ever used to. Some people decide not to deal with that fear, they decide not to ackowledge it and will join the ones that welcome them. The problem is, as unique individuals, it is adamant that we face that loneliness because after the initial "shock" lies the true morality of that human being, the understanding that through this loneliness we are together. Often we see political leaders, church leaders and certain society groups as evil, but they are not. They are alone and afraid, and although there might be hundreds around them that might be doing something questionable or indeed "evil", the fear of ostracization and loneliness is too strong.
28-02-2014, 11:13 PM
(06-08-2013 11:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  Evil is complex to define. Like all words, everyone comes to their own understanding through osmosis...

Ummm, people come to their own understanding via the tendency of water to pass through a semipermeable membrane into a solution with lower concentration than the solution it's currently in? Shocking I suppose it helps to make your point that words can mean different things to different people.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 2 users Like TSG's post
01-03-2014, 02:11 AM
(28-02-2014 11:13 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 11:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  Evil is complex to define. Like all words, everyone comes to their own understanding through osmosis...

Ummm, people come to their own understanding via the tendency of water to pass through a semipermeable membrane into a solution with lower concentration than the solution it's currently in? Shocking I suppose it helps to make your point that words can mean different things to different people.

Rolleyes Indeed. Bastard

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-03-2014, 03:27 AM
I think that evil is the label that we give actions that we feel are wrong. I feel that we as humans give labels due to our ability to reason, and the fact that we have emotions. There is no good or evil as far as what just is.
29-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Just like morondog has stated, the definition of evil is constantly changing and evolving like a fluid within a multi-chambered cylinder that is being constantly rolled, so that the water makes its way into different perspectives and likenesses.

In the olden days, not inviting an uninvited guest into your home was considered evil.
29-03-2014, 12:15 PM
(06-08-2013 09:25 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  There are things that are against the law. We can do things to hurt ourselves. We can do things to hurt others. But what is evil? Can we really make it stop? Does it even really exist or are we denying some parts of humanity and human nature that we don't want to see in our "civilized" world?

I think this is pretty self explanatory. Dodgy

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
29-03-2014, 12:24 PM
(06-08-2013 09:25 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  There are things that are against the law.

It's not the "law", it's the "LAUW!"

They came, they saw and acknowledged
Some good, some bad
Opinion: Dangerous