Evilution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Question Evilution?
I don't like this portmanteau. Creationists often say "evolution is evil".

How can a theory possibly be evil? A theory is proven and valid OR false. That's it. (not considering the meaning of the word theory used as a synonym for hypothesis)
Theories don't have ethics, they just explain scientific occurences.

Even creationists mostly admit micro-evolution. Macro-evolution is just the same thing over a longer timespan until two species have differentiated to a point where they can't interbreed anymore. It's just harder to find proof in everyday life (but there is). However: how can this possibly be evil?

Can the theory of gravity be evil as well? Or the theory of relativity?

Or the circumference of a circle? The Bible says pi=3, so current theories about calculating its circumference contradict the bible. So, shouldn't geometry be considered evil as well?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2011, 07:11 AM
RE: Evilution?
The theory of gravity is evil. Just think of all the people that fall to their death every year!

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
06-05-2011, 07:16 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2011 08:54 AM by DeepThought.)
Yes, well said Smile
I put that text there to help spark healthy debate, also because some or the terms in the forum description are commonly used amongst creationists - the name of this forum!

With keywords like that it might help them find it!
06-05-2011, 02:14 PM
I think most of them confuse Darwin's Theory of Evolution , with Social Darwinism.
As far as I know Darwin was very much against allowing natural selection to cull the human population.
Example :

Creationist quote :
Quote:With savages, the weak in body or mind are soon eliminated. We civilized men, on the other hand, do our utmost to check the process of elimination. We build asylums for the imbecile, the maimed and the sick. Thus the weak members of civilized societies propagate their kind. No one who has attended to the breeding of domestic animals will doubt that this must be highly injurious to the race of man. Hardly anyone is so ignorant as to allow his worst animals to breed.
Darwin's actual words :
Quote:With savages, the weak in body or mind are soon eliminated; and those that survive commonly exhibit a vigorous state of health. We civilized men, on the other hand, do our utmost to check the process of elimination. We build asylums for the imbecile, the maimed and the sick; we institute poor-laws; and our medical men exert their utmost skill to save the life of every one to the last moment. There is reason to believe that vaccination has preserved thousands, who from a weak constitution would formerly have succumbed to small-pox. Thus the weak members of civilized societies propagate their kind. No one who has attended to the breeding of domestic animals will doubt that this must be highly injurious to the race of man. It is surprising how soon a want of care, or care wrongly directed, leads to the degeneration of a domestic race; but excepting in the case of man himself, hardly anyone is so ignorant as to allow his worst animals to breed.

The aid which we feel impelled to give to the helpless is mainly an incidental result of the instinct of sympathy, which was originally acquired as part of the social instincts, but subsequently rendered, in the manner previously indicated, more tender and more widely diffused. Nor could we check our sympathy, even at the urging of hard reason, without deterioration in the noblest part of our nature. The surgeon may harden himself whilst performing an operation, for he knows that he is acting for the good of his patient; but if we were intentionally to neglect the weak and helpless, it could only be for a contingent benefit, with an overwhelming present evil. Hence we must bear without complaining the undoubtedly bad effects of the weak surviving and propagating their kind; but there appears to be at least one check in steady action, namely the weaker and inferior members of society not marrying so freely as the sound; and this check might be indefinitely increased, though this is more to be hoped for than expected, by the weak in body or mind refraining from marriage.

I think that's why many believe that evolution is evil or something.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
06-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Evolution is evil to Creationists because it is yet another way in which their Deity is rendered obsolete. They don't actually care about evidence or whats right, they just stand behind their God however clear it is that he isn't there.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
06-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Idiot creationist video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-14Nhj05L90

Thunderf00t's response:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderf00t#...mUGJ3Jh7fc

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
06-05-2011, 06:56 PM

(06-05-2011 05:46 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  Idiot creationist video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-14Nhj05L90

I always thought that was satire, never bothered to look into its source. Its like a compilation of stupidity.
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm with Atheist Troll(who I'm happy to see is not, in fact, trolling). I always thought that was a satire. It's real?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQndujfbMErraQNrBERbOd...mp;amp;t=1]

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
07-05-2011, 11:08 AM
(06-05-2011 07:51 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  I'm with Atheist Troll(who I'm happy to see is not, in fact, trolling). I always thought that was a satire. It's real?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQndujfbMErraQNrBERbOd...mp;amp;t=1]

Yeah its real. I've seen it debunked many times.
You should see the one on abstinence - its freakin' epic ! Tongue
(sadly I can't find it right now)

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
07-05-2011, 11:46 AM

(07-05-2011 11:08 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Yeah its real. I've seen it debunked many times.
You should see the one on abstinence - its freakin' epic ! Tongue
(sadly I can't find it right now)

There's more? I want to watch it, but I'm afraid I'll overdose on stupid and melt my brain Undecided
Quote this message in a reply