Evolution: Almost a 'Fact'.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Evolution: Almost a 'Fact'.

Enjoy.

PRESENTER: This week I’m talking to Andrew Wilson, Professor of Biogenetics at the University of York, and tireless champion of the Theory of Evolution. Good evening

WILSON: Good evening. If I may though, the fact of evolution - it’s no longer considered a theory

PRESENTER: Perhaps not by you…

WILSON: Not by any competent authority. Those who contest it are either under informed or willfully ignoring the evidence. The proven scientific fact is that almost all life on Earth is the result of cumulative change resulting from random mutation of the genes

PRESENTER: Almost all?

WILSON: That’s right, yes

PRESENTER: You mean there are exceptions?

WILSON: Not significant exceptions, no

PRESENTER: But there are?

WILSON: Yes, but the overwhelming-

PRESENTER: I’m sorry, I’m going to have to press you on this - what are the exceptions?

WILSON: …..hummingbirds

PRESENTER: Hummingbirds?

WILSON: Yes, I think God probably made the hummingbirds. But that’s all!

PRESENTER: Why hummingbirds?

WILSON: Well, look, a scientist must take each case on its merits, free from prejudice. And I have to admit that hummingbirds…. Have you seen one? They’re amazing! They beat their wings eighty times a second. They can fly backwards! They can’t have just happened by accident, so in this extremely unusual case the most credible explanation is that they were formed by a superhuman creative intelligence.

PRESENTER: God?

WILSON: Well you can call it what you like…

PRESENTER: Can you call it God?

WILSON: Yes. But, look - this is the exception that proves the rule

PRESENTER: The rule that God doesn’t exist?

WILSON: Look, what I believe - what I believe is that the overwhelming majority of all life that has ever existed came about by the blind application of natural selection upon replicating entities. All God did was make the hummingbirds. And Elizabeth Roberts.

PRESENTER: Who?

WILSON: My granddaughter. She happens to be the other exception

PRESENTER: God made your granddaughter?

WILSON: Yeah, I know it’s a coincidence, I know. But as a conscientious scientist I have to record that when my daughter recently gave birth it was immediately obvious God had come out of retirement to try to top the hummingbirds

PRESENTER: How can you tell?

WILSON: You just have to look at her. Her little chubby feet alone rule out the possibility she randomly descended from a pre-Neolithic hominid like the rest of us did.

PRESENTER: And Elizabeth is the only exception - you never felt this way about your daughter, for instance?

WILSON: No, no, the hominid explanation works fine for her.

PRESENTER: So, now you’ve discovered all this, Professor, what next?

WILSON: Well, I’m publishing a new book in the autumn: “Intelligent Deceit, The Tyranny of Superstition”, and I am founding a very small church.

PRESENTER: How small?

WILSON: It’s basically a Wendy church.

Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
11-02-2015, 06:24 PM
RE: Evolution: Almost a 'Fact'.
(11-02-2015 01:50 PM)DLJ Wrote:  From: http://finnemore-fans.livejournal.com/4408.html

Enjoy.

PRESENTER: This week I’m talking to Andrew Wilson, Professor of Biogenetics at the University of York, and tireless champion of the Theory of Evolution. Good evening

WILSON: Good evening. If I may though, the fact of evolution - it’s no longer considered a theory

PRESENTER: Perhaps not by you…

WILSON: Not by any competent authority. Those who contest it are either under informed or willfully ignoring the evidence. The proven scientific fact is that almost all life on Earth is the result of cumulative change resulting from random mutation of the genes

PRESENTER: Almost all?

WILSON: That’s right, yes

PRESENTER: You mean there are exceptions?

WILSON: Not significant exceptions, no

PRESENTER: But there are?

WILSON: Yes, but the overwhelming-

PRESENTER: I’m sorry, I’m going to have to press you on this - what are the exceptions?

WILSON: …..hummingbirds

PRESENTER: Hummingbirds?

WILSON: Yes, I think God probably made the hummingbirds. But that’s all!

PRESENTER: Why hummingbirds?

WILSON: Well, look, a scientist must take each case on its merits, free from prejudice. And I have to admit that hummingbirds…. Have you seen one? They’re amazing! They beat their wings eighty times a second. They can fly backwards! They can’t have just happened by accident, so in this extremely unusual case the most credible explanation is that they were formed by a superhuman creative intelligence.

PRESENTER: God?

WILSON: Well you can call it what you like…

PRESENTER: Can you call it God?

WILSON: Yes. But, look - this is the exception that proves the rule

PRESENTER: The rule that God doesn’t exist?

WILSON: Look, what I believe - what I believe is that the overwhelming majority of all life that has ever existed came about by the blind application of natural selection upon replicating entities. All God did was make the hummingbirds. And Elizabeth Roberts.

PRESENTER: Who?

WILSON: My granddaughter. She happens to be the other exception

PRESENTER: God made your granddaughter?

WILSON: Yeah, I know it’s a coincidence, I know. But as a conscientious scientist I have to record that when my daughter recently gave birth it was immediately obvious God had come out of retirement to try to top the hummingbirds

PRESENTER: How can you tell?

WILSON: You just have to look at her. Her little chubby feet alone rule out the possibility she randomly descended from a pre-Neolithic hominid like the rest of us did.

PRESENTER: And Elizabeth is the only exception - you never felt this way about your daughter, for instance?

WILSON: No, no, the hominid explanation works fine for her.

PRESENTER: So, now you’ve discovered all this, Professor, what next?

WILSON: Well, I’m publishing a new book in the autumn: “Intelligent Deceit, The Tyranny of Superstition”, and I am founding a very small church.

PRESENTER: How small?

WILSON: It’s basically a Wendy church.

Big Grin

At best evolutionary theory, based on chance/modification, leaves us with a long accrued intelligence ,of sorts. An evolved chancy intelligence, even Big Bang guaranteed, cannot exclude higher ineffable intelligence(s)....
As to the 'perfection',('love') of such, 'perfection' can only be assumed relevant to potential higher states of existence. Deism posits a creator God; as for higher moral and engaging participation, indications of such, while limited by our cognitive states may present themselves intuitively to varying degrees.
11-02-2015, 07:01 PM
(11-02-2015 06:24 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  At best evolutionary theory, based on chance/modification, leaves us with a long accrued intelligence ,of sorts. An evolved chancy intelligence, even Big Bang guaranteed, cannot exclude higher ineffable intelligence(s)....

For which there is no evidence.

Quote:As to the 'perfection',('love') of such, 'perfection' can only be assumed relevant to potential higher states of existence. Deism posits a creator God; as for higher moral and engaging participation, indications of such, while limited by our cognitive states may present themselves intuitively to varying degrees.

Intuition is not evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2015, 07:56 PM
(11-02-2015 07:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Quote:As to the 'perfection',('love') of such, 'perfection' can only be assumed relevant to potential higher states of existence. Deism posits a creator God; as for higher moral and engaging participation, indications of such, while limited by our cognitive states may present themselves intuitively to varying degrees.

Can we brand that into peoples' foreheads?

Sometimes it seems like that's the only way they'll learn.

... this is my signature!
11-02-2015, 09:49 PM
(11-02-2015 07:56 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 07:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  Intuition is not evidence.

Can we brand that into peoples' foreheads?

But it would have to be backwards so that they can read it in the mirror. Otherwise 'tis only for the on-looker's benefit.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-02-2015, 09:53 PM
(11-02-2015 09:49 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 07:56 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Can we brand that into peoples' foreheads?

But it would have to be backwards so that they can read it in the mirror. Otherwise 'tis only for the on-looker's benefit.

Drinking Beverage

Well, quite. That did occur to me.

Certainly as a marker to freely disregard the speaker's opinions, it's of value; perhaps we might stamp it backwards and forwards, like on ambulances? That way everyone gets the benefit.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
11-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Intelligent Design: Almost Not Ridiculous
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
12-02-2015, 12:03 AM
(11-02-2015 07:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 06:24 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  At best evolutionary theory, based on chance/modification, leaves us with a long accrued intelligence ,of sorts. An evolved chancy intelligence, even Big Bang guaranteed, cannot exclude higher ineffable intelligence(s)....

For which there is no evidence.

You fail to see the distinction people make contemplating possible hypotheses devoid of scientific evidence. It is possible that higher existential domains exist and that we are not privy to such. No one is saying 'this is the case' and there is no need to prove anything in order to ponder/speculate. Evolved evidence post big bang may not embrace universal meaning in it's entirety. Again no one is arguing against science and logic, merely to postulate possibilities from an even handed position..........
12-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy Wrote:The Babel fish is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with the nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen it to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets killed on the next zebra crossing.
Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best-selling book Well That About Wraps It Up For God.
Meanwhile, the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
12-02-2015, 06:56 AM
let me summarize it

I don't know how hummingbirds flap their wings so fast, therefore god did it

did I get it right ?
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post