Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2015, 07:05 AM
RE: Evolution: Almost a 'Fact'.
(12-02-2015 06:56 AM)Ace Wrote:  let me summarize it

I don't know how hummingbirds flap their wings so fast, therefore god did it

did I get it right ?

Yup.

Which is essentially the same argument that Call of the Wild is using on that supposed 'debate' thread he started.

i.e. Awe and wonder override logic and data as the most 'plausible' explanation.

Dodgy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2015, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2015 12:58 PM by unfogged.)
(12-02-2015 12:03 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  You fail to see the distinction people make contemplating possible hypotheses devoid of scientific evidence. It is possible that higher existential domains exist and that we are not privy to such. No one is saying 'this is the case' and there is no need to prove anything in order to ponder/speculate. Evolved evidence post big bang may not embrace universal meaning in it's entirety. Again no one is arguing against science and logic, merely to postulate possibilities from an even handed position..........

What do you mean by an "even handed position"?

Speculating and pondering about "higher existential domains" that we are not privy to is all well and good but that can't be equated to speculating on things that we are privy to. Evidence is needed before any speculation can be considered anything more than just speculation.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
12-02-2015, 10:59 AM
(11-02-2015 01:50 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ... Enjoy.

And we can - and do.

We can laugh easily at a parody that spoofs an evolutionist who thinks his granddaughter "exceptional" without feeling threatened or becoming defensive or offended.

I think one of the best indications a held belief is probably bollocks is when you have no sense of humour about it. If you can't risk laughing at it, it's probably because it's too fragile, like a soap bubble.

When's the last time a religionist cracked a joke about John 3:16? It's THE most quoted verse in the entire KJV. It's a classic POE, that verse. But for religionists, treating it with humour might pop the fantasy.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
12-02-2015, 01:00 PM
(12-02-2015 12:03 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  You fail to see the distinction people make contemplating possible hypotheses devoid of scientific evidence. It is possible that higher existential domains exist and that we are not privy to such. No one is saying 'this is the case' and there is no need to prove anything in order to ponder/speculate.

I can't prove that leprechauns don't exist. Should we spend time pondering and speculating on the possibility of their existence?

There are an infinite number of things that might exist. How do you narrow down that field to pick the ones on which to speculate? Any answer is almost certainly special pleading.