Evolution Deniers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Evolution Deniers
I was born in the mid-late 60s and I went to school in the 70s. Back then, if you wanted to learn about something outside of school, the process was tedious. You had to go to a library, look up information by hand using a card catalog. If they were reference materials, you had to go to the reference desk and have someone physically pull information. Then you had to read it, at the library.

This was mostly before photo copiers. When they became more prevalent in the late 70s and early 80s things were a bit easier...for a dime, you could copy information and read it later. Microfiche enabled libraries to not have to store vast amounts of magazines. Those machines were hard on the eyes.

When I was a kid, my parents sent me to a baptist school -- they were young earth types but I don't recall them ever saying it. There, any books on dinosaurs were stored in the 'fiction' section of the school library and were later removed all together. The reason we were told was dinosaurs didn't exist because the bible didn't mention them. Evolution was to them a non issue and never discussed, talked about or acknowledged -- except that it was just another lie. The 'Lucy' thing was a monkey and child bones put together -- or something like that.

I was told that whales were called "big fishes" and 'behemoth' was an elephant.

The dino bones found weren't real...trick photography, and outright lies by backyard scientists.

They quoted some article about how a scientist used bird bones or something to make a dinosaur. And also keeping in mind how tedious getting real information was at that time -- I can almost forgive them.

As we enter the information age, few people deny that dinosaurs didn't exist. Including my former school. They now,, I'm told teach that dinosaurs did exist but lived with humans...ala ken hamm. Now I guess the big fish is really just a big fish and behemoth is a dinosaur. I dunno...

How is it that people can deny evolution? We live in an age where my first iPod nano had more memory than my first computer...it's not like you have to hunt through a shitty search engine like alta-vista to find information or physically go to a library and dig through a card catalog.

Are they just too ignorant to look up what evolution really means and happy to exist in their own ignorance and call it all true?
I had someone tell me that you just can't believe everything on the web. And my reply is "well duh." But that doesn't mean everything is lie -- including answers in genesis? Of course their answer is that their minister told them...

Maybe it's all about their personal comfort zone?

I have a good friend, attending college and she wrote on her fb that she was taking a science class. She knew the answers she had to give to get a good grade, but she felt like college was trying to 'beat god" out of her.

You have no idea how long I had to sit on my hands to keep from typing "good"

Of course she had so many comments about how schools just lie and she knows the truth.

I can't believe they're all this ignorant, blind or just plain stupid.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-07-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: Evolution Deniers
(24-07-2013 12:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I can't believe they're all this ignorant, blind or just plain stupid.

I can.

Weeping

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
24-07-2013, 12:19 PM
(24-07-2013 12:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was born in the mid-late 60s and I went to school in the 70s. Back then, if you wanted to learn about something outside of school, the process was tedious. You had to go to a library, look up information by hand using a card catalog. If they were reference materials, you had to go to the reference desk and have someone physically pull information. Then you had to read it, at the library.

This was mostly before photo copiers. When they became more prevalent in the late 70s and early 80s things were a bit easier...for a dime, you could copy information and read it later. Microfiche enabled libraries to not have to store vast amounts of magazines. Those machines were hard on the eyes.

When I was a kid, my parents sent me to a baptist school -- they were young earth types but I don't recall them ever saying it. There, any books on dinosaurs were stored in the 'fiction' section of the school library and were later removed all together. The reason we were told was dinosaurs didn't exist because the bible didn't mention them. Evolution was to them a non issue and never discussed, talked about or acknowledged -- except that it was just another lie. The 'Lucy' thing was a monkey and child bones put together -- or something like that.

I was told that whales were called "big fishes" and 'behemoth' was an elephant.

The dino bones found weren't real...trick photography, and outright lies by backyard scientists.

They quoted some article about how a scientist used bird bones or something to make a dinosaur. And also keeping in mind how tedious getting real information was at that time -- I can almost forgive them.

As we enter the information age, few people deny that dinosaurs didn't exist. Including my former school. They now,, I'm told teach that dinosaurs did exist but lived with humans...ala ken hamm. Now I guess the big fish is really just a big fish and behemoth is a dinosaur. I dunno...

How is it that people can deny evolution? We live in an age where my first iPod nano had more memory than my first computer...it's not like you have to hunt through a shitty search engine like alta-vista to find information or physically go to a library and dig through a card catalog.

Are they just too ignorant to look up what evolution really means and happy to exist in their own ignorance and call it all true?
I had someone tell me that you just can't believe everything on the web. And my reply is "well duh." But that doesn't mean everything is lie -- including answers in genesis? Of course their answer is that their minister told them...

Maybe it's all about their personal comfort zone?

I have a good friend, attending college and she wrote on her fb that she was taking a science class. She knew the answers she had to give to get a good grade, but she felt like college was trying to 'beat god" out of her.

You have no idea how long I had to sit on my hands to keep from typing "good"

Of course she had so many comments about how schools just lie and she knows the truth.

I can't believe they're all this ignorant, blind or just plain stupid.

It is indoctrination, brainwashing, pure and simple.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
24-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Then why not just keep denying that dinosaurs never existed.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

24-07-2013, 12:32 PM
To some, the prospect of a benevolent creator is more appealing than accepting reality.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 3 users Like Logica Humano's post
24-07-2013, 12:33 PM
(24-07-2013 12:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ...There, any books on dinosaurs were stored in the 'fiction' section of the school library and were later removed all together. The reason we were told was dinosaurs didn't exist because the bible didn't mention them...

I was shocked to hear someone I thought was a normal person say this to me a few years ago. I asked her about fossils, but I don't remember what she said about them. It was probably something like, God put them there to test our faith, or Satan put them there to deceive us, or they are Elephant bones that have been placed together in a wrong way to make them look like something else. I don't remember her response but I think I remember it being more along the lines of the last one.

Then I asked her if a mouse ran across the floor and over her feet would she not believe it really happened or that the mouse ever existed because the bible doesn't mention mice? (I actually don't know if the bible mentions mice or not, but the point's the same)

How do you fight that level of denial?

24-07-2013, 12:43 PM
(24-07-2013 12:32 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  To some, the prospect of a benevolent creator is more appealing than accepting reality.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

And feel good is better than think good. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-07-2013, 12:49 PM
(24-07-2013 12:21 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Then why not just keep denying that dinosaurs never existed.

Call me cynical if you will but I think they adapt their craziness so that it is plausible the the largest number of people to fleece as times change.

I think your description of how difficult it was to get information allowed them to be lazy back in the day. Regular people now have access to talks by world class educators online and on iTunes. It's a little harder to say dinosaurs didn't exist and get by, changing the dates they lived, not so much.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
24-07-2013, 12:57 PM
(24-07-2013 12:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  And feel good is better than think good. Dodgy

For many, unfortunately, being taught well was a closed avenue.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
24-07-2013, 12:57 PM
You are very right Mom...In the age of information there is no excuse for ignorance.

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post