Evolution Deniers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2013, 02:25 PM
RE: Evolution Deniers
(24-07-2013 02:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 01:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Organized Christianity has a strange habit of zeroing in on a certain piece of doctrine, create controversy around that doctrine, and elevate the importance of that doctrine.

Most Christian denominations have done this with evolution. Before the mid 1800s a literal interpretation of Genesis and a belief in a Young Earth was considered "odd" or "different" in terms of Christian theology.

In the same vein (although it's more focused internally instead of externally in the case of evolution), we see it happen with the rise of dispensationalism in the mid 1800s. Before this, the common and most understood view of salvation was election instead of free will.

Dispensationalism also gave rise to the now immensely popular "rapture", "pre-trib", and literal interpretation of Revelation. Before John Darby created dispensationalism, these views were more or less nonexistent.

Basically, it comes down to Christians lobbying and creating a niche market to try and win people over to their "side" or point of view. Once a side has been adopted, believers in that side evolve (lol pun) their beliefs and indoctrinate new additions.

So, then maybe at some point in the future, they might abandon YEC and adopt evolution?

It's hard to say.

Probably not, though.

In terms of human socialization, we are living in uncharted territories. Never have ideas and beliefs been so easy to hear and spread and solidify. In the past, odd variations of beliefs would eventually disappear because of the inability to spread and find an audience that is open and acts like a host for that idea.

In today's information saturated world, once an idea or a belief gains enough momentum or followers, it is here to stay.

The point of views or niches evolve into the crux of the groups' actual beliefs; thus, this creates an almost cultish defense of that belief. The niche belief is centralized and everything is adjusted for that belief instead of the niche belief being adjusted when other forms of information become available.

It's a backwards system.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
24-07-2013, 11:45 PM
You're right KC it is totally backward. A friend posted this on her fb...

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles...-boat-kids

I don't know why I clicked the link...but I'll never be the same.

Neanderthals were what "humans" looked like before the flood.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

25-07-2013, 07:18 AM
I think the denial is simply based in fear. Fear that if it's true, then the implications undermine the foundations of their faith. Evolution immediately destroys the Genesis creation myth. Then with a little more thinking, it's easy to see that humans were NOT created in God's image, nor were we given original sin. And what of the soul? Either every life form should have one (including algae, yeast, germs, bananas, etc.), or no life form does, since there's no way that it could be selected for.
It's safer to maintain the blissful ignorance.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
25-07-2013, 01:44 PM
(25-07-2013 07:18 AM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  I think the denial is simply based in fear. Fear that if it's true, then the implications undermine the foundations of their faith. Evolution immediately destroys the Genesis creation myth. Then with a little more thinking, it's easy to see that humans were NOT created in God's image, nor were we given original sin. And what of the soul? Either every life form should have one (including algae, yeast, germs, bananas, etc.), or no life form does, since there's no way that it could be selected for.

I have a feeling your right, if people need to twist things to explain or pretend they're true, because they're belief system doesn't allow for it -- it's just sad. But even worse it's frightening and scary.

I've been reading a little on the AIG website and given the hypersensitive nature of those people...i don't know...if there is a religious war -- I think they will light the fuse.

31-07-2013, 05:58 AM
Some people don't believe that we evolved from primates?

Good for them.

Meanwhile, I present to you Kanzi, a bonobo (chimpanzee) that learned how cooked food tastes better, so he decided to make himself some lunch...

[Image: Image_26381.jpg&width=618]

What more proof do you need? WTF? Retarded idiots with no brain. Don't waste your time talking to someone as stupid as that.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 4 users Like Filox's post
31-07-2013, 06:28 AM
To add a bit after reading Jeff's reply, it's not only the veracity of the faith, but also the veracity of those around the faith. I mean, come on. You're raised to trust the word of family, friends, preachers etc... and then you get hit with this thing that's being taught that goes against years of shared belief. Mom believes it, Daddy believes it, great aunt Edna believes it, and all your friends do, too.

The social construct maintained within that faith has it that this gal goes to a socially-inspired web page to talk about it.

I really am torn on the whole holding off of posting "good", Mum. I mean, she could easily interpret it the way she wants to fit her view, can she not? It could easily be interpreted with so much "exformation" (little info) as being a "Good! You're letting us know!" It seems to be done quite easily and naturally for her to begin with.

That's my two cents.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
31-07-2013, 02:27 PM
(31-07-2013 06:28 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  To add a bit after reading Jeff's reply, it's not only the veracity of the faith, but also the veracity of those around the faith. I mean, come on. You're raised to trust the word of family, friends, preachers etc... and then you get hit with this thing that's being taught that goes against years of shared belief. Mom believes it, Daddy believes it, great aunt Edna believes it, and all your friends do, too.

The social construct maintained within that faith has it that this gal goes to a socially-inspired web page to talk about it.

I really am torn on the whole holding off of posting "good", Mum. I mean, she could easily interpret it the way she wants to fit her view, can she not? It could easily be interpreted with so much "exformation" (little info) as being a "Good! You're letting us know!" It seems to be done quite easily and naturally for her to begin with.

That's my two cents.

Well, had I commented, "good" I think she might have taken as an attack on her belief system. She does know I'm an atheist. I don't know what she thinks about that tho. She's never said. What does frustrate me to no end, is the fact that she can say whatever she wants on her fb because she's part of "the club" and I feel the need to forever edit myself so that I don't hurt people's feelings.

01-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Yeah, I know it's tuff, accommodating to the pussies of the world... myself included. Tongue

01-08-2013, 08:22 AM
(31-07-2013 02:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 06:28 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  To add a bit after reading Jeff's reply, it's not only the veracity of the faith, but also the veracity of those around the faith. I mean, come on. You're raised to trust the word of family, friends, preachers etc... and then you get hit with this thing that's being taught that goes against years of shared belief. Mom believes it, Daddy believes it, great aunt Edna believes it, and all your friends do, too.

That's my two cents.

Well, had I commented, "good" I think she might have taken as an attack on her belief system. She does know I'm an atheist. I don't know what she thinks about that tho. She's never said. What does frustrate me to no end, is the fact that she can say whatever she wants on her fb because she's part of "the club" and I feel the need to forever edit myself so that I don't hurt people's feelings.

Maybe instead, you good take the direct approach and ask her what it is that makes her think that, and how if she's so concerned about it, she should seek guidance within the school to figure out why such things are being taught as they are, and not like from that of her church.

The simple answer is: it's not a church. It has nothing to do with faith. The difficult question is, is whether that school fits her needs. If it's breaking her faith apart, maybe she should attend another Uni, like say, Liberty University. They teach creationism in there. It would uphold her faith and probably guarantee her not getting a job in the current field she's studying in. Like the Uni's motto says: "Liberty University: liberating the minds of those who have questions by disposing of them in the bin." I hear their cafereria meatloaf is amazing.

01-08-2013, 10:27 AM
(25-07-2013 07:18 AM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  I think the denial is simply based in fear. Fear that if it's true, then the implications undermine the foundations of their faith. Evolution immediately destroys the Genesis creation myth. Then with a little more thinking, it's easy to see that humans were NOT created in God's image, nor were we given original sin. And what of the soul? Either every life form should have one (including algae, yeast, germs, bananas, etc.), or no life form does, since there's no way that it could be selected for.

This.

And it reminds me, a relative of mine, who is a TEACHER (a substitute teacher, but allegedly a teacher just the same) posted some crap on facebook today about evolution being silly and it's all due to miracles. I feel bad for the poor children she teaches, and I hope she never subs in a science classroom. At least my Catholic relatives are ok with evolution, this one is Baptist or something, =\
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user