Evolution - Looking for a Diagram

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Evolution - Looking for a Diagram
Greetings, everyone.

Hopefully this is the right section to ask for this.

My girlfriend asked me about something regarding evolution and the origin of mankind so I answered it with words, but although she nodded and ensures me to have understood, her eyes told a different story.
Anyway, I'm now looking for a diagram of a, well, family tree I once discovered with a whole range of species on the way to homo sapiens and everything else.
Alas, I can't find it.
It didn't put us on top of the tree but instead just as another category of life. It delivered a direct and perfectly understandable picture of how it came to nowaday's lifeforms. Quite a vague description, I guess, seeing as there are tons of these things. After half an hour of searching using numerous terms, I couldn't find anything helpful. Most results were just too scientific with unutterable words rather than pictograms for each step and species - which I'd like to have.

I have no idea where I stumbled upon it, be it StumbleUpon or the sciencey section of Memebase, but I'm hoping for at least a similarly understandable image. Surely someone must have one on their hard drive.

In hope I was clear enough; thanks in advance.
Cheers.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it."
~ Lawrence M. Krauss
Quidquid agis prudenter agas et respice finem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2012, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2012 07:42 AM by robotworld.)
RE: Evolution - Looking for a Diagram
You might be searching for a phylogenetic tree. A phylogenetic tree or evolutionary tree is a branching diagram or "tree" showing the inferred evolutionary relationships among various biological species or other entities based upon similarities and differences in their physical and/or genetic characteristics. Different characteristics used in the construction of the tree will lead to tree of different shapes. There is no one tree that will rule them all.

Here's one of my favourite trees. It's a cladogram (a type of phylogenetic tree). It has the relevant scientific names and PICTURES!! Hope that helped!

[Image: TreeOfLife.jpg]

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
01-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Through my experience in the socializing area of life (Admittedly I don't do much, but look at that big spinning thing in Switzerland under the mountain where they smash particles into each other, shit loads of data with little actual smashing of particles) I think I can conclude that if she nodded her head and agreed, she really just doesn't give a fuck. Otherwise she would have continued to ask questions.
My advice would be that if you wish to continue having sexual relations with this women (which i assume you do because you are a guy and call her "your girlfriend") then I suggest just letting it go at you explaining it to her, otherwise she's gonna think you're physco crazy.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
01-07-2012, 08:27 AM
(01-07-2012 07:10 AM)SkullCollector Wrote:  Greetings, everyone.

Hopefully this is the right section to ask for this.

My girlfriend asked me about something regarding evolution and the origin of mankind so I answered it with words, but although she nodded and ensures me to have understood, her eyes told a different story.
Anyway, I'm now looking for a diagram of a, well, family tree I once discovered with a whole range of species on the way to homo sapiens and everything else.
Alas, I can't find it.
It didn't put us on top of the tree but instead just as another category of life. It delivered a direct and perfectly understandable picture of how it came to nowaday's lifeforms. Quite a vague description, I guess, seeing as there are tons of these things. After half an hour of searching using numerous terms, I couldn't find anything helpful. Most results were just too scientific with unutterable words rather than pictograms for each step and species - which I'd like to have.

I have no idea where I stumbled upon it, be it StumbleUpon or the sciencey section of Memebase, but I'm hoping for at least a similarly understandable image. Surely someone must have one on their hard drive.

In hope I was clear enough; thanks in advance.
Cheers.
Try searching for "Evolution for Dummies". That seems to be what you or she wants.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2012, 09:16 AM
(01-07-2012 08:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Through my experience in the socializing area of life (Admittedly I don't do much, but look at that big spinning thing in Switzerland under the mountain where they smash particles into each other, shit loads of data with little actual smashing of particles) I think I can conclude that if she nodded her head and agreed, she really just doesn't give a fuck. Otherwise she would have continued to ask questions.
My advice would be that if you wish to continue having sexual relations with this women (which i assume you do because you are a guy and call her "your girlfriend") then I suggest just letting it go at you explaining it to her, otherwise she's gonna think you're physco crazy.

Good one, but luckily, what I said was not the whole story. She indeed kept asking questions and is in general quite interested in science. Unfortunately, 'interested' does not necessarily imply any existing knowledge. Yeah, not as if that's in any way relevant here.

(01-07-2012 08:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  Try searching for "Evolution for Dummies". That seems to be what you or she wants.

Yup.

Thanks for the image, by the way. Quite close already.

Cheers.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it."
~ Lawrence M. Krauss
Quidquid agis prudenter agas et respice finem.
02-07-2012, 07:10 PM
itol.embl.de

It's an amazing site for the tree of life.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp