Evolution Simulator?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
09-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Evolution Simulator?
Basically, I want to see if anybody can recommend me one. 3D preferably, and I would like to stay true to the format,p (natural selection)... Also, kinda easy to use, or easy to read instructions.

Thanks in advance.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
10-08-2012, 03:54 AM
RE: Evolution Simulator?
There you go: http://www.stellaralchemy.com/lee/vce3d_download.php

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
10-08-2012, 08:49 AM
I do a natural selection simulation with some of my students using 5 different colors of jellybeans, and a series of utensils (spoon, butter knife, tweezers, chopsticks) to simulate predator-prey interaction and changing population frequencies over successive generations.

You take 100 of 5 different colors of jellybeans, throw them in the grass, and then send the "predators" out to collect them for 60 seconds. The "predators" here are people with Styrofoam cups and one of the aforementioned utensils. The goal is to collect as many jellybeans in 60 seconds as possible. After that, each predator group tallies up its "kills" and separates them by color. Once you have the total number of kills per color of jellybean and by predator species, it is as simple as a few calculations to see what the new proportion of each color of jellybean and predator is in generation 2. Repeat these steps for 4-5 generations and you see the more successful predators become a more significant portion of the population and the colors that blend in with the grass the best become a larger proportion as well. And you get to eat jellybeans afterwards.

Evolve
[+] 11 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
17-08-2012, 09:47 AM
(10-08-2012 08:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I do a natural selection simulation with some of my students using 5 different colors of jellybeans, and a series of utensils (spoon, butter knife, tweezers, chopsticks) to simulate predator-prey interaction and changing population frequencies over successive generations.

You take 100 of 5 different colors of jellybeans, throw them in the grass, and then send the "predators" out to collect them for 60 seconds. The "predators" here are people with Styrofoam cups and one of the aforementioned utensils. The goal is to collect as many jellybeans in 60 seconds as possible. After that, each predator group tallies up its "kills" and separates them by color. Once you have the total number of kills per color of jellybean and by predator species, it is as simple as a few calculations to see what the new proportion of each color of jellybean and predator is in generation 2. Repeat these steps for 4-5 generations and you see the more successful predators become a more significant portion of the population and the colors that blend in with the grass the best become a larger proportion as well. And you get to eat jellybeans afterwards.

That is brilliance of simplicity, Bearded! I really like that idea. I thought you could add in genetic traits by having the students wear colored glasses (red, green, blue, etc) to see how natural selection would work with the 2 traits together - color vision and the tool used by the "predator." That complicates the simulation, but I have a nack for that, LOL!
[+] 1 user Likes ibanezerscrooge's post
17-08-2012, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2012 12:05 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Somewhere on TTA, I left one for Kingschosen once, it's sort of like a math game. You can set the parameters yourself. I can't find it. It's the best one I found. Maybe he can remember where it is ?
Another one here : http://www.makaseb.net/tube/chaos-is-cre...mCldk.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

17-08-2012, 10:22 AM
(10-08-2012 08:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I do a natural selection simulation with some of my students using 5 different colors of jellybeans, and a series of utensils (spoon, butter knife, tweezers, chopsticks) to simulate predator-prey interaction and changing population frequencies over successive generations.

Jack: "But sir, sir! That's microevolution, not macroevolution! None of the jellybeans turn into an M&M™!"

TheBeardedDude: "Did your evangelical parents insist that you to tell me that, Jack?"

(Jack looks sheepish)

Jack: "Yes, sir..."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Red Celt's post
17-08-2012, 10:40 AM

Heart I love this! Wait... you can't eat the generations until all the way at the end of the experiment and they've all been counted, right?

Fuuuuuuuck!!! Sadcryface2 EVOLUTION TAKES SO LONG!!!

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-08-2012, 06:51 PM
I'd love to see a Spore like game in which you have to alter the environment in such a way that the creatures have to evolve in a specific creature in order to survive.

For example, the computer says you need to evolve a giraffe like animal. Then you alter the height of the trees in order to evolve the "horse looking" creatures into having longer necks. You might have to drift continents apart, or create rivers in order to genetically isolate some population groups, etc.

If religious groups can make bible based games, THEN WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BACK SCIENCE BASED GAMES. We need a science indie game developer.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
20-08-2012, 06:55 PM
(20-08-2012 06:51 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  I'd love to see a Spore like game in which you have to alter the environment in such a way that the creatures have to evolve in a specific creature in order to survive.

For example, the computer says you need to evolve a giraffe like animal. Then you alter the height of the trees in order to evolve the "horse looking" creatures into having longer necks. You might have to drift continents apart, or create rivers in order to genetically isolate some population groups, etc.

If religious groups can make bible based games, THEN WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BACK SCIENCE BASED GAMES. We need a science indie game developer.

This is a complete reversal of the way evolution works. There are no goals, no foresight, no plan in evolution.

A good evolution simulator should surprise the hell out of you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
20-08-2012, 09:58 PM
(20-08-2012 06:51 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  For example, the computer says you need to evolve a giraffe like animal. Then you alter the height of the trees in order to evolve the "horse looking" creatures into having longer necks.

That isn't why giraffes have long necks. It is a common misconception, but that is what it is. It might be due to male-on-male fighting (they whack each other's necks) or it might have been due to a better observation of potential predators.

The leaves that giraffes eat are the younger, tender leaves. Mostly, they have to bend down when they're eating. And it's a pain, having to drink.