Evolution Simulator?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-10-2012, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 08:20 AM by PoolBoyG.)
RE: Evolution Simulator?
Previous user is incorrect. Whether through natural selection, or breeding, evolution is evolution. And for any game, a balance between the two would be more desirable. The key word was "game" after all.

Giraffes with long necks had a competitive advantage (not starving is a good one, no?) that better enabled them to reproduce and pass on their genes.

The "common misconception" is the "stretching" hypothesis, which is wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2013, 11:00 PM
(20-08-2012 06:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hey poolboy, I have been working on a simulator along these lines. It's mostly finished if you want to have a look: http://www.EvolutionSimmed.com/EvolSim.php

I have made it interactive so users can adjust the aspects of the evolutionary process and see how the 'organisms' go about evolving in the environment.

I like it, but then, I made it Smile

Cheers, Dale
(20-08-2012 06:51 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  I'd love to see a Spore like game in which you have to alter the environment in such a way that the creatures have to evolve in a specific creature in order to survive.

For example, the computer says you need to evolve a giraffe like animal. Then you alter the height of the trees in order to evolve the "horse looking" creatures into having longer necks. You might have to drift continents apart, or create rivers in order to genetically isolate some population groups, etc.

If religious groups can make bible based games, THEN WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BACK SCIENCE BASED GAMES. We need a science indie game developer.

This is a complete reversal of the way evolution works. There are no goals, no foresight, no plan in evolution.

A good evolution simulator should surprise the hell out of you.
19-04-2013, 02:57 AM
(24-02-2013 11:00 PM)dra_red Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 06:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hey poolboy, I have been working on a simulator along these lines. It's mostly finished if you want to have a look: http://www.EvolutionSimmed.com/EvolSim.php

I have made it interactive so users can adjust the aspects of the evolutionary process and see how the 'organisms' go about evolving in the environment.

I like it, but then, I made it Smile

Cheers, Dale
This is a complete reversal of the way evolution works. There are no goals, no foresight, no plan in evolution.

A good evolution simulator should surprise the hell out of you.
Evolution is undirected and is based on random mutations but it can be predictable to some extent. It wouldn't be much of a theory if it did not. An example of this is the parallel adaptations evolving separately.

It is interesting to drill down on the factors that are driving the evolutionary process for insight. The number of genes, the variables in the environment, the level of competition etc. All these and many others can impact on how an adaptation will take shape.

Cheers, Dale
19-04-2013, 07:40 AM
(10-08-2012 08:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I do a natural selection simulation with some of my students using 5 different colors of jellybeans, and a series of utensils (spoon, butter knife, tweezers, chopsticks) to simulate predator-prey interaction and changing population frequencies over successive generations.

You take 100 of 5 different colors of jellybeans, throw them in the grass, and then send the "predators" out to collect them for 60 seconds. The "predators" here are people with Styrofoam cups and one of the aforementioned utensils. The goal is to collect as many jellybeans in 60 seconds as possible. After that, each predator group tallies up its "kills" and separates them by color. Once you have the total number of kills per color of jellybean and by predator species, it is as simple as a few calculations to see what the new proportion of each color of jellybean and predator is in generation 2. Repeat these steps for 4-5 generations and you see the more successful predators become a more significant portion of the population and the colors that blend in with the grass the best become a larger proportion as well. And you get to eat jellybeans afterwards.

Hmmm... throw jelly beans into grass, complete with dirt, bugs, bacteria, residue from random fecal and urine of various species of animals, et al.... have kids handle jelly beans with much the same as above on hands....
consume jelly beans.

This could take natural selection demonstrations all the way to a Darwin Award winning performance. Consider

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
19-04-2013, 07:56 AM
(10-08-2012 08:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I do a natural selection simulation with some of my students using 5 different colors of jellybeans, and a series of utensils (spoon, butter knife, tweezers, chopsticks) to simulate predator-prey interaction and changing population frequencies over successive generations.

You take 100 of 5 different colors of jellybeans, throw them in the grass, and then send the "predators" out to collect them for 60 seconds. The "predators" here are people with Styrofoam cups and one of the aforementioned utensils. The goal is to collect as many jellybeans in 60 seconds as possible. After that, each predator group tallies up its "kills" and separates them by color. Once you have the total number of kills per color of jellybean and by predator species, it is as simple as a few calculations to see what the new proportion of each color of jellybean and predator is in generation 2. Repeat these steps for 4-5 generations and you see the more successful predators become a more significant portion of the population and the colors that blend in with the grass the best become a larger proportion as well. And you get to eat jellybeans afterwards.

I prefer Skeetles really Rolleyes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Re: Evolution Simulator?
You eat the jelly beans you don't toss in the grass. And those that don't get picked up, will dissolve after a little while.
23-04-2013, 12:59 PM
(09-08-2012 10:30 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Basically, I want to see if anybody can recommend me one. 3D preferably, and I would like to stay true to the format,p (natural selection)... Also, kinda easy to use, or easy to read instructions.

Thanks in advance.

Just get the game Spore.

[Image: 1024px-TrollFace.png]

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
23-04-2013, 09:06 PM
(23-04-2013 12:59 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 10:30 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Basically, I want to see if anybody can recommend me one. 3D preferably, and I would like to stay true to the format,p (natural selection)... Also, kinda easy to use, or easy to read instructions.

Thanks in advance.

Just get the game Spore.

[Image: 1024px-TrollFace.png]

Dodgy

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
23-04-2013, 10:22 PM
I've been searching for a game like this since before you were born A2... never found anything worth mentioning Sad

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
23-04-2013, 10:32 PM
the one Vosur put up was good, but I cannot redownload it, I would love to though.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.