Evolution and child birth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2012, 02:35 PM
RE: Evolution and child birth
(15-04-2012 01:46 PM)Ninett Wrote:  
(15-04-2012 12:09 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  There weren't any hospitals on the plains of Africa. That Ape woman probably died....which is part of evolution.

You got to be able to squirt those youngins out on the plains of africa like those fat women in Iowa who don't even know they are pregnant.

Seriously though, there are still plenty of primitive human civilizations in the world who don't use hospitals for child labor and are in a hostile environment where they aren't at the top of the food chain. For your argument to hold water, these civilizations shouldn't be able to exist, yet they clearly do.

You misunderstand, I did not make this post as a way to try to disprove evolution, it was merely for curiosity's sake and I wanted to hear what you guys had to say about it. Thumbsup

Ninett, (cute name),

I think YOU misunderstand. I certainly didn't take it that way. I think we all thought you were just curious. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2012, 05:40 PM
The short answer is a simple one:
* We evolved as part of a line of mammals who birth through their hips. We couldn't change that without some seriously dangerous and likely fatal mutation that changed the location of various canals
* Within this context, we grew larger brains. This made the process much more difficult and dangerous.
However: Those larger brains have clearly been beneficial to our survival - more so than they are detrimental through mortality at birth for mother and child.
15-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Yeh, well if the cavemen did their job properley by providing food for us , us cavewomen would've stayed in the cave giving birth.

Take that, apeboys!!! Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
16-04-2012, 12:29 AM
That's an interesting question. I had 4 c-sections, so I don't really know what all that is like, but I was in labor for a long time with my first one, and I remember thinking how ridiculous it was.

It can take quite a while to go from contractions to pushing, but drugs given to women in labor nowadays actually slow down the process.

Here is a link that I think might give you some answers:

http://home.entouch.net/dmd/birth.htm
16-04-2012, 01:12 AM
(15-04-2012 10:51 PM)aurora Wrote:  Yeh, well if the cavemen did their job properley by providing food for us , us cavewomen would've stayed in the cave giving birth.

That is why we apemen learned to become bipedal, to better procure food.
No food = No recreational sex

Millions of years of evolution and we still have to feed you to get sex...
16-04-2012, 05:55 AM
(15-04-2012 02:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-04-2012 01:46 PM)Ninett Wrote:  You misunderstand, I did not make this post as a way to try to disprove evolution, it was merely for curiosity's sake and I wanted to hear what you guys had to say about it. Thumbsup

Ninett, (cute name),

I think YOU misunderstand. I certainly didn't take it that way. I think we all thought you were just curious. Tongue

Thanks! It's actually my real name. Smile

Yes, I must've misunderstood. I guess I was a bit on my hind legs. I'm used to other forums where people are quick at your throat for anything, really.

Maybe the function of falling in love give males an excuse to 'stick around' and protect the woman during the pregnancy and while giving birth?

Thanks for everone's inputs btw. Bowing
16-04-2012, 05:00 PM
(16-04-2012 01:12 AM)Antirepublican Wrote:  
(15-04-2012 10:51 PM)aurora Wrote:  Yeh, well if the cavemen did their job properley by providing food for us , us cavewomen would've stayed in the cave giving birth.

That is why we apemen learned to become bipedal, to better procure food.
No food = No recreational sex

Millions of years of evolution and we still have to feed you to get sex...
Maybe before the sexual revolution but not now. Nice try, though Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)