Evolution and history.. we were apes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2016, 07:56 AM
RE: Evolution and history.. we were apes
Fidelity of information is poor. Even in the best of times.

People describe the same event. Same day. Location. Differently.

Hundred millenia ago, they may have had bigger fish to fry. Avoiding stalking animals. Finding food. Origins may have enjoyed pride of place at the bottom of their bucket list.

[Image: tree-swing-project-management-large.png]

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like tomilay's post
08-08-2016, 08:07 AM
RS76 covered it well, minute evolutionary change over time is not readily discernable, especially when you aren’t looking for it or don’t know to look for it.

What is interesting and can happen quickly is dissemination of information. Once the wheel or writting or agriculture was discovered/invented the information spread “quickly” within generations to nearby tribes.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-08-2016, 08:44 AM
Origins were irrelevant. What was relevant was that the red berries made people sick and the blue berries healed. That across the hill was dangerous country, but the planes on the other side were safe. That the deer came to drink at the creek at dusk. And so on. Passed down and modified from generation to generation. Those were the things that mattered. Life was short.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
08-08-2016, 09:09 AM
(08-08-2016 12:39 AM)dirtstar Wrote:  Let's call it like it is then. To curb violence and control the masses the religious idea of deity's that was always there to explain death, disasters, and the sun was officially adopted by leaders of society's and thus began the brainwashing of the masses. Big Grin

Religion isn't good at that. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
08-08-2016, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 09:28 AM by I Am.)
Yay! An opportunity to display my ignorance!

Why are we assuming there was no complex communication in deep prehistory? Our species has the capacity for speech and complex thought, and I'm not aware that our brains or throats have undergone any major biological changes since splitting from our last hominid ancestor. Is the supposition that we had the biological capacity to think and speak, but just never relatively recently discovered how to use it? That seems intuitively improbable to me. It seems like a species of bird having the capacity to fly, but not figuring out how until some avian cultural revolution happened.
[+] 3 users Like I Am's post
08-08-2016, 09:30 AM
I think the layers of understanding our origin isn't something so needed or well formed in thought for the early settlers. They would probably have oral tales and oral legends, and generations of generations those existed... then they over time alter and get shifted and languages and cultures shift so the legends shift.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
08-08-2016, 10:04 AM
(08-08-2016 09:22 AM)I Am Wrote:  Yay! An opportunity to display my ignorance!

Why are we assuming there was no complex communication in deep prehistory? Our species has the capacity for speech and complex thought, and I'm not aware that our brains or throats have undergone any major biological changes since splitting from our last hominid ancestor. Is the supposition that we had the biological capacity to think and speak, but just never relatively recently discovered how to use it? That seems intuitively improbable to me. It seems like a species of bird having the capacity to fly, but not figuring out how until some avian cultural revolution happened.

Well, it's really simple. When the Atlanteans left after their home sank they released the genetically modified humans they had kept as pets and servants into the wild. These interbred with the feral humans and improved the species.

Seriously, don't they tell anything in school there days? Dodgy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
08-08-2016, 10:56 AM
(08-08-2016 12:49 AM)skyking Wrote:  ^ no kidding Smile
The information they passed down was likely focused on survival. Not what I'd call history.

A good book that gets into some of that stuff is Graham Hancock's Supernatural.
Check it out. He works on explaining cave art and religion and other things in an evolutionary context.
08-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Most people know their grandparents names. Some don't. Parents move away. They have strained relationships with their parents and grandkids grow up not knowing their grandparents.

Most don't know their great grandparents. Some do.
Books and writing have been around a while but yet we still didn't pass down that information, because it didn't effect their day to day lives.

The same is true for our ancient ancestors 160,000 years ago.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
08-08-2016, 10:38 PM
Thanks for everyone's perspective. I come up with entertaining, at least, theories all the time. Big Grin It seems most are in favor of our ancestors not really questioning much about where we came from. I can see that for sure. It seems though a number of evolutionary biologists searching for an answer to this question seem to think this has been a burning question for humanity all along... not just since we've learnt to read and write. If they are correct then it's hard to imagine w/no xbox, facebook, nfl football, and the Voice to distract them thoughts of ones origins wouldn't creep up whilst staring into a pit of fire for hours. Consider

The statement regarding religion being injected into society to curb violence among the masses is most likely spot on. I don't believe that includes curbing violence the state inflicts by no means. Maybe I should've phrased it differently. Unsure Ok religion was injected into society in an attempt to help control the masses. That seems more accurate. If this is true there-in lies a motive to conceal any prior knowledge of our ape origins. Tongue