Evolution and the Scientific Method

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2017, 08:00 AM
RE: Evolution and the Scientific Method
(18-10-2017 10:52 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I would love it if some religious person could bring us something substantial, thought provoking or original. I honestly would. Not that it's very likely they'd manage to recruit me into their religion, but I'd be very interested in some sort of real analysis of all this "God" business.

I could do it myself, but I wouldn't want to give believers any new ideas.
Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
19-10-2017, 09:20 AM
(18-10-2017 10:52 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I'd be very interested in some sort of real analysis of all this "God" business.

A real analysis of an unreal entity? How would that work? Maybe like a biography of Tom Sawyer?
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
19-10-2017, 09:26 AM
(19-10-2017 09:20 AM)Rachel Wrote:  
(18-10-2017 10:52 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I'd be very interested in some sort of real analysis of all this "God" business.

A real analysis of an unreal entity? How would that work? Maybe like a biography of Tom Sawyer?

Videography with interviews. Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2017, 11:29 AM
I want to post this. I love this so much.

[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
20-10-2017, 11:39 AM
(20-10-2017 11:29 AM)natachan Wrote:  I want to post this. I love this so much.

Concise and excellent!
20-10-2017, 11:49 AM
(18-10-2017 10:52 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I would love it if some religious person could bring us something substantial, thought provoking or original. I honestly would. Not that it's very likely they'd manage to recruit me into their religion, but I'd be very interested in some sort of real analysis of all this "God" business.

In the final chapter or two of "Finding Darwin's God" (Dr. Kenneth R. Miller from Brown University - he's a Christian biochemist, ..... and mostly the book is a debunking of Evolution denial) attempts to "find a mechanism" which is left open (in Quantum Mechanics, I vaguely recall ... ???), for a god. I remember thinking "really .. that's all you got". It's a great book for the review he does of how we know Evolution is true, and what it's really all about. He really knows his stuff. I should re-read the business at the end, where he tries to find "room" for God. I didn't buy it, but it's a really good book anyway. I started out not liking it at all, but changed my mind.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
20-10-2017, 11:59 AM
(20-10-2017 11:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

In the final chapter or two of "Finding Darwin's God" (Dr. Kenneth R. Miller from Brown University - he's a Christian biochemist, ..... and mostly the book is a debunking of Evolution denial) attempts to "find a mechanism" which is left open (in Quantum Mechanics, I vaguely recall ... ???), for a god. I remember thinking "really .. that's all you got". It's a great book for the review he does of how we know Evolution is true, and what it's really all about. He really knows his stuff. I should re-read the business at the end, where he tries to find "room" for God. I didn't buy it, but it's a really good book anyway. I started out not liking it at all, but changed my mind.

I liked that book a lot until Miller tried to justify his own faith. His own writing showed how he was compartmentalizing his science from his faith. Using science to rationalize his faith simply didn’t work. But I loved how he dissected each flavor of evolution denial.
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
21-10-2017, 04:53 AM
(14-10-2017 10:58 AM)Eagle Wrote:  I wanted to start a thread on the pseudoscience of evolution.

Evolution CANNOT be observed, measured or tested.

Evolution is not science.

Please discuss why some people still refer to it as science.

Well, I have 3 different hypothesis regarding you
1/ either you're a super troll
2/ or you have never opened a biology book in your life
3/ or you have opened a biology book in your life but didn't understand what you read

so what reply could I write taking into account those 3 hypothesis :
hypothesis 1/ None because you don't reply to a troll, it's pointless
hypothesis 2/ Ask you to first read a biology book before posting
hypothesis 3/ it's pointless for me to provide resources and arguments about evolution if in the first place you didn't understand it from biology books

so, basically, it's kinda pointless to reply. Arguing with somebody who denies evolution is exactly like arguing with somebody who claims the earth is flat (and by a very strange coincidence, most of the time, those people are the same !! how strange is that !), when somebody is beyond reason and evidence, there is no point reasoning with him or giving him evidences.
[+] 5 users Like Sturm's post
21-10-2017, 06:55 AM
There is one reason why one might reply - to make sure that the holes in whatever passes for an "argument" are clearly pointed out.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-10-2017, 07:02 AM
(21-10-2017 06:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  There is one reason why one might reply - to make sure that the holes in whatever passes for an "argument" are clearly pointed out.

Also, many times when we get one of these types, there are a bunch of Guests viewing the thread. My guess is that some of the guests are buddies of the poster who've been urged to watch as he battles. Even if Eagle's oblivious to how badly he's being spanked, I bet the guests aren't.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post