Evolution and the Scientific Method

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2017, 07:06 AM
RE: Evolution and the Scientific Method
(22-10-2017 06:04 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(21-10-2017 10:44 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Francis Collins' book "The Language of God" is somewhat similar in ways. Collins debunks creationism and ID in his book. But he believes in God. His solution is theistic evolution. Evolution is God's way of creating the world as we know it. There is no evidence for this, it is just an pious assertion. After knocking down creationism and ID that is what he as a theist see as left standing other than godless materialism.

In the end, all he has left is a very short chapter making this unsupported assertion. No evidence, no proof. Just the gutted carcasses of ID and creationism. He does not go into the details of his theological claims about the nature of God and the problems with those assertions.

His BioLogos Foundation tries to argue for the idea that there is harmony between religion and science based on theistic evolution.

http://biologos.org/
Creationism's mutant cousin.

Always amazed just how deep into the rabbit hole they'll go without recognizing the tremendous damage that acceptance of the evolutionary process does to their god concept. Collin's god has been reduced to something indistinguishable from a totally natural process that has no characteristics that are presented in the bible that describes that god.

[Image: a9acbe7b509b583aec6ed6775d765271dcd7e0f7...afd88a.jpg]

Lol, exactly. I think it's the final form of theism, where "God" is made to be so vague that its indistinguishable from nothing at all. The concept must be protected, even if it means making it entirely redundant.

I hope that one day the people who are far enough along, and have enough grip of reality to see why they are doing this, can realize they can let go of the concept entirely. It's baggage.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
22-10-2017, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2017 07:56 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(22-10-2017 07:06 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I think it's the final form of theism, where "God" is made to be so vague that its indistinguishable from nothing at all. The concept must be protected, even if it means making it entirely redundant.

I hope that one day the people who are far enough along, and have enough grip of reality to see why they are doing this, can realize they can let go of the concept entirely. It's baggage.

People search for dependable truths, and especially for a central underlying truth. The idea that truths are self-organized along with the phenomena they underlie is unattractive to many people, if they've even heard of the idea. So they try to evolve their God concept to encompass scientific discoveries. I spent years on that kind of project myself, since I realized how weak God-of-the-gaps arguments were.

What theists really need to give up is the idea that consciousness is central to self-organizing, instead of merely a by-product of it. Once consciousness drops out of your God concept, it can't honestly be called a god anymore. A god must be a willful being to be recognizably a god.

Of course, people will always equivocate about "God" to try to fit in socially.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
25-10-2017, 06:26 PM
(14-10-2017 10:58 AM)Eagle Wrote:  The scientific method is defined as,

"a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses."

I wanted to start a thread on the pseudoscience of evolution.

Evolution CANNOT be observed, measured or tested.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1...n-the-lab/

Next question? Drinking Beverage

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 4 users Like Dr H's post
25-10-2017, 07:23 PM
(14-10-2017 10:58 AM)Eagle Wrote:  The scientific method is defined as,

"a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses."

I wanted to start a thread on the pseudoscience of evolution.

Evolution CANNOT be observed, measured or tested.

Evolution is not science.

Please discuss why some people still refer to it as science.

You haven't bothered to define evolution so it seems pretty obvious you don't know what it is. You obviously don't know the status or purpose of a theory in science either.

Just curious, are your thumbs opposable?

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
26-10-2017, 12:37 AM
I'm thinking the bird has flown the coop—never to be seen again. Hopefully. Yes

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
26-10-2017, 04:20 AM
I, for one, will miss our little beagle.

[Image: 599px-C311-7-64_LBJ_Library.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
26-10-2017, 05:05 AM
(26-10-2017 12:37 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm thinking the bird has flown the coop—never to be seen again. Hopefully. Yes

> I thought of him as more of a little seagull. He pooped on the forum, then flew away to declare himself the winner. Blink
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
26-10-2017, 05:54 AM
Someone from the same cookie cutter will be here within 24 hours.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
26-10-2017, 06:07 AM
(26-10-2017 05:54 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Someone from the same cookie cutter will be here within 24 hours.

Ah! They're clones! That's why they don't believe in evolution!
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
26-10-2017, 06:17 AM
(26-10-2017 06:07 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(26-10-2017 05:54 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Someone from the same cookie cutter will be here within 24 hours.

Ah! They're clones! That's why they don't believe in evolution!

And they haven't evolved since they were pond scum. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 0ce9a11f2f52f0282ed6aa28df04779a.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like Gawdzilla's post