Evolution and the Scientific Method

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2017, 12:03 PM
RE: Evolution and the Scientific Method
(14-10-2017 12:01 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(14-10-2017 11:06 AM)Eagle Wrote:  Keep in mind the reality: it's a theory.

So is gravity. And the Big Bang. And the standard model of Physics. A scientific theory is not what people commonly refer to as a theory. That would be a hypothesis. A theory is backed up by a body of evidence.

The theory of evolution arose to explain the observable evidence. That is, the fossil record that we have observed, the ability to pass on genetic traits, selective pressure.

Evolutionary science meets all the criteria of scientific method.
That comment alone puts him in the troll/poe category.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Gawdzilla's post
14-10-2017, 12:06 PM
(14-10-2017 11:17 AM)Eagle Wrote:  1. There are NO examples of a species becoming another species, now or in history.
2. It therefore cannot be measured because there is NO evidence. What can be measured is the lack of evidence - all of it.
3. It cannot be tested because all living things produce only after their own kind, every test shows that this is the case.

This is full of equivocation and means that you can move the goal posts as and when things are explained to you. For example, only creationists refer to 'kinds'. What does it even mean for a species to become another species? What would you expect to happen were it so?

All this shows is that you are dismissing the theory of evolution without even knowing what it is.

It is observable. Darwin made observations and then sought to explain those observations.

Not only is there a whole body of evidence for it, but the theory of evolution is also useful. We can use the evolutionary process with genetic algorithms for example.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
14-10-2017, 12:11 PM
(14-10-2017 12:01 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(14-10-2017 11:06 AM)Eagle Wrote:  Keep in mind the reality: it's a theory.

So is gravity. And the Big Bang. And the standard model of Physics. A scientific theory is not what people commonly refer to as a theory. That would be a hypothesis. A theory is backed up by a body of evidence.

The theory of evolution arose to explain the observable evidence. That is, the fossil record that we have observed, the ability to pass on genetic traits, selective pressure.

Not so.

A law is something which will happen, ie if evolution were a law, we could test it, there would be evidence for it, but reality is there is NO evidence of evolution taking place, now or historically.

When you mention gravity: the LAW is that an object dropped will fall to the ground, the theory is gravity (that's the in-practice testable observation which does not exist for evolution).

So for evolution, there is no law, we just have a THEORY, which is the theory why there are different species on the earth. That's all evolution is, a theory, which, despite all the attempts, no evidence for it has been found.

And that's really the truth, when all is said and done.

I know these may be difficult concepts for some to grasp, I would just ask that, when you grapple with them, that you keep an open mind, the possibility, that evolution could be wrong (don't assume it's a given, because then your logic can be based on a faulty assumption, giving you incorrect outcomes no matter how long you think about it; test your axioms first!).

It's just a theory, because there is no evidence to back it up.

Really what you are left with, is faith in evolution Wink
14-10-2017, 12:13 PM
(14-10-2017 11:06 AM)Eagle Wrote:  
(14-10-2017 11:01 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Showing off how uninformed and ill-educated you are? Bravo!

Why don't YOU show how 'informed' and 'educated' YOU are by showing HOW evolution can and does meet the criteria for the scientific method.

Keep in mind the reality: it's a theory.

Read a science book, you ignorant blowhard. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
14-10-2017, 12:18 PM
(14-10-2017 12:11 PM)Eagle Wrote:  
(14-10-2017 12:01 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  So is gravity. And the Big Bang. And the standard model of Physics. A scientific theory is not what people commonly refer to as a theory. That would be a hypothesis. A theory is backed up by a body of evidence.

Not so.

A law is something which will happen, ie if evolution were a law, we could test it, there would be evidence for it, but reality is there is NO evidence of evolution taking place, now or historically.

When you mention gravity: the LAW is that an object dropped will fall to the ground, the theory is gravity (that's the in-practice testable observation which does not exist for evolution).

So for evolution, there is no law, we just have a THEORY, which is the theory why there are different species on the earth. That's all evolution is, a theory, which, despite all the attempts, no evidence for it has been found.

I know these may be difficult concepts for some to grasp, I would just ask that, when you grapple with them, that you keep an open mind, the possibility, that evolution could be wrong (don't assume it's a given, because then your logic can be based on a faulty assumption, giving you incorrect outcomes no matter how long you think about it; test your axioms first!).

Since you clearly do not understand the scientific method, nor the definitions of a physical law and scientific theory, your beliefs are meaningless to anyone.

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
14-10-2017, 12:19 PM
With your last post you just turned up a notch in the category of "mindboggingly stupid and ignorant".

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about.
Start by getting your terms and definitions straight like law, theory, hypothesis, observation, process.

If i was you i would be (too) ashamed to publicly embarass myself by demonstrating beyond any reasonable doubt that i havent even understood the basic terms used in science, let alone being able to evalute and comment on entire scientific theories with at least a minimum of competence. You are the classic example of being so incompetent that you actually cant fathom the extent of your incompetence.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
14-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Actual evolution happening *is* routinely observed - bacterial resistance to anti-biotics.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Well how come my artificial intelligence is evolving on my computer? How come I have been able to do this for the last 20 years? How come gene therapy based on our understanding of evolution actually works?

How is it that the world is facing antibiotic resistance? An example of observable evolution consistent with the theory of evolution:

Antibiotic resistance could spell end of modern medicine, says chief medic

Read this and you may never eat chicken again
Quote:And though common, resistant bacteria are a grave threat and getting worse.

They are responsible for at least 700,000 deaths around the world each year: 23,000 in the United States, 25,000 in Europe, more than 63,000 babies in India. Beyond those deaths, bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics cause millions of illnesses – 2m annually just in the United States – and cost billions in healthcare spending, lost wages, and lost national productivity.

It is predicted that by 2050, antibiotic resistance will cost the world $100tn and will cause a staggering 10m deaths per year.

Disease organisms have been developing defenses against the antibiotics meant to kill them for as long as antibiotics have existed. Penicillin arrived in the 1940s, and resistance to it swept the world in the 1950s.

Tetracycline arrived in 1948, and resistance was nibbling at its effectiveness before the 1950s ended. Erythromycin was discovered in 1952, and erythromycin resistance arrived in 1955. Methicillin, a lab-synthesized relative of penicillin, was developed in 1960 specifically to counter penicillin resistance, yet within a year, staph bacteria developed defenses against it as well, earning the bug the name MRSA, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.

After MRSA, there were the ESBLs, extended-spectrum beta-lactamases, which defeated not only penicillin and its relatives but also a large family of antibiotics called cephalosporins. And after cephalosporins were undermined, new antibiotics were achieved and lost in turn.

Each time pharmaceutical chemistry produced a new class of antibiotics, with a new molecular shape and a new mode of action, bacteria adapted.

Peppered moth evolution

Quote:The evolution of the peppered moth is an evolutionary instance of directional colour change in the moth population as a consequence of air pollution during the Industrial Revolution. The frequency of dark-coloured moths increased at that time, an example of industrial melanism. Later, when pollution was reduced, the light-coloured form again predominated. Industrial melanism in the peppered moth was an early test of Charles Darwin's natural selection in action, and remains as a classic example in the teaching of evolution.[1][2] Sewall Wright described it as "the clearest case in which a conspicuous evolutionary process has actually been observed."[3]
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
14-10-2017, 12:23 PM
(14-10-2017 11:34 AM)Eagle Wrote:  
(14-10-2017 11:25 AM)jennybee Wrote:  So your "theory" is what? That we are made of clay, created by a magic being who lives in the clouds? And just your magic being created us--not the other magic beings from other cultures that are said to exist. Where is the observable evidence of your god? Where is the observable evidence we are claymation people?
The point of this thread is to show how evolution is NOT science.

What you have jennybee, is a massive industry of academics who can't ALLOW the idea of evolution to be abandoned: their career depends upon it, and also, it's the best theory people have to try to excuse a disbelief in God.

Oh, goody, you've added a massive conspiracy theory to your claims. Facepalm

Quote:You know right away (at least I hope you know) that your post is a diversionary side track, but, look at all the other posts too. No one has offered anything substantial to show that I am wrong in regards to the theory of evolution. I would ask you to consider what that says about 'atheism' and 'thinking'.

I offer all the evidence extant that you refuse to acknowledge.

Quote:But, to answer your question anyway, because, among other things, you're my friend, you (probably) know what I believe! I believe mankind was created from dust and has been on the earth for approximately 6,000 years.

And that is unsupported superstition that fails in the face of all of the knowledge that science has generated. You, sir, are a moron.

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
14-10-2017, 12:24 PM
(14-10-2017 12:11 PM)Eagle Wrote:  
(14-10-2017 12:01 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  So is gravity. And the Big Bang. And the standard model of Physics. A scientific theory is not what people commonly refer to as a theory. That would be a hypothesis. A theory is backed up by a body of evidence.

Not so.

You REALLY are an idiot. No one claims Evolution is a "law". Nice STRAWMAN, fool.

Quote:Really what you are left with, is faith in evolution.

That's fucking hilarious. A religonist who is apparently insulting and denigrating "faith". LMAO
You'd think they would be the LAST people to denigrate faith. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post