Evolution defying animals? EEEEH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Evolution defying animals? EEEEH
So I was scrolling through netflix and saw an interesting title. "Incredible creatures that defy evolution: Vol 1"

It's a 46 minute documentary with very corny narration and an obnoxious creationist scientist. Despite the crap part, however, they do bring up some veeery interesting animals. For those that don't have netflix streaming, lemme list the animals and what's so interesting about them here:

bombardier beetle
Feat- Creates and combines chemicals that explodes. his points/questions: The bug has a special firing chamber and increased manueverability in it's tail end to aim the chemicals. Without those two features, it would just blow itself up, so how would it evolve that?

Giraffe
Feat- Has massive heart that pumps blood powerfully up neck. When it brings it's head down, blood should burst it's brain, but there's a sponge-type thing that stops the blood. When coming back up, giraffe should faint with lack of blood to brain, but sponge releases blood into brain and special valves keep it there. Question/claim - How would it manage to evolve all that, each long necked giraffe would die when it went to drink water or when it brought it's head up and ran from a predator.

Also quickly says, "it sees a zebra and says ok, but then sees a lion and runs. Well, how does it know the difference, anyways? Evolutionists can't explain that"

Woodpecker Feat- Tongue that has barbs, produces glue that attaches to bugs, produces solution that dissolves glue once it's in mouth so it can swallow bugs without swallowing tongue. Question/claim: How did it evolve that if it has to have one or it can't have the other? Pretty much the same question as all the other ones above.

European Green Woodpecker Feat Has a tongue that starts in the back of the throat, goes down throat, out back of neck, over top of head, out hole between eyes, then in through a nostril and then comes out of the beak. Claim- "How and where did this tongue come from?" "God made this woodpecker to challenge the evolutionary community"

Australian incubator bird- feat Female lays up to 1/2 pound eggs(almost the size of an ostrich egg, but these birds are 3.5-4 pounds) once every 3 days for 7 months. Female makes thick eggshel with ice cream cone shaped cones. The male, during 7 month period (in this specific species of australian incubator bird he's talking about) keeps the nest at exactly 91 degrees Fahrenheit and 99.5% humidity. Otherwise, the chicks will die. He alters temperature by throwing things in, taking things out, etc. Chicks hatch and dig themselves out of the nest (more like a mound that they've been buried in) Chicks lay on their backs, scrape against mulch above them, shake it off their chest, pack it down with wings, continue. Take up to three days to dig themselves out "with nobody to tell them how to do it" "Nobody tells it what to eat or how to eat, but it goes out and finds it" "Next year, the new bird will build a nest, but daddy bird didn't teach him how. He starts building a mound all by himself with nobody telling him how to do it. It's a miracle" Claim Same as always.

chickens in general feat Eggshells are very complicated with their porous system that allows entry of air and disposal of water/wastes created by chick inside. "How do you explain all the intricate mechanisms and the perfect timing that it takes for an egg to develop"

beaver
feat Incredible swimmer, incredible engineer that creates super complicated damns, yadda yadda.

duck billed platypus
feat Has electro-receptors that can locate electrical receptors in prey. "it's a miracle"

Yea, that's as far as i got. I was getting really bored of the man's voice and such.

But yea, just thought it was interesting and i should share it with you.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cdf50's post
10-03-2011, 06:24 PM
RE: Evolution defying animals? EEEEH
No evolution defying stunts here. The "creationist scientist", pardon the oxy-MORON, just didn't do his homework (so what else is new?) and learn what other scientists already know.

Bombardier beetle. There are other beetles and ants that use toxic chemicals to spray at their enemies. The bombardier beetle just evolved it a little further.

Woodpecker. Millions of years of competition to survive by eating bugs that bury into bark.

Beaver. You mean like Hoover Dam?

Duck billed platypus. Sharks have been detecting pray by this method when dinosaurs where running the show.

Giraffe. Aptosaurus, brachiosaurus and a whole bunch of other dinosaurs had this mastered a long time before the giraffe arrived.

They are interesting animals. To bad the moron......I mean creation bullshitter......I mean scientist, doesn't really know anything about them, except for the few tidbits that he "thinks" support his argument.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Giraffe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epwhHCNaM...9A5AADAB6F

Bombardier beetle: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/bombardier.html

All of them: http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?t..._ignorance

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
10-03-2011, 11:07 PM

I don't think you got his point, J. I agree that he's wrong, but the point he's saying is, How could they evolve to have this if they'd need to have all of the components exactly as they are for it to work. Meaning it would have all had to have evolved all at once.

But Daemonower totally raped that argument with his links. Marvelous marvelous links, seriously. I love you for introducing me to this natures giants thing. Oh Dawkins, your childish excitement thrills me so.
10-03-2011, 11:38 PM

(10-03-2011 11:07 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  I don't think you got his point, J. I agree that he's wrong, but the point he's saying is, How could they evolve to have this if they'd need to have all of the components exactly as they are for it to work. Meaning it would have all had to have evolved all at once.

But Daemonower totally raped that argument with his links. Marvelous marvelous links, seriously. I love you for introducing me to this natures giants thing. Oh Dawkins, your childish excitement thrills me so.

Well, the problem is that he starts off looking to disprove evolution. Instead of going off of the theory of evolution and trying to explain it. See, that's the traditional approach with these things and with science. You attempt to apply current theories, especially extremely strong ones, to explain phenomena they're shown to explain.

You don't look at the moon, notice it isn't falling down, and then declare that the theory of gravity is false.
10-03-2011, 11:46 PM
(10-03-2011 11:07 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  I don't think you got his point, J. I agree that he's wrong, but the point he's saying is, How could they evolve to have this if they'd need to have all of the components exactly as they are for it to work. Meaning it would have all had to have evolved all at once.

I got his point, and I have seen that same point brought up before. I just answered some of the questions that he posed. The points I brought up show that if he would have taken the time to learn something, he wouldn't be spewing out a pile of bullshit.

I just wanted to make sure that no one actually believes anything that he says. We do have an occassional theist browsing these forms. They will take anything the wrong way if it suits their beliefs.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
12-03-2011, 12:59 AM
I think Dawkins in his book : "A river out of Eden" deals with a similar claim about bees and how they "needed" to be perfect in order to survive.

That argument just smacks as : "I can't believe it's not butter" - to me.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
12-03-2011, 03:48 AM
(10-03-2011 11:07 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  I love you for introducing me to this natures giants thing. Oh Dawkins, your childish excitement thrills me so.

I can remember being introduced to the same documentaries a while ago, and feeling the same. I loved them. It was, at first, a sort of morbid curiousity, I wondered what the insides were like. I watched the first part, then the rest, then the next documentary, then the next. And before I knew it, I had seen all 9 I found on youtube. Smile

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
12-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Kudos on watching that much of the program. I don't think I could have stomached it. I'm getting sick of hearing the same "evolution can't explain it", "there's a gap in the theory", "it's really really complex" crap over and over and over again.
The IDiots think that they have won an argument when they can say "you can't explain THIS particular adaptation, can you Mr. Evolutionist?!".
I lost a lot of arguments this way when I was new to the online debating game. My problem is that even though I consider myself to be quite good at understanding explanations given to me, I know that I am not very good at coming up with the explanations myself. I didn't even see through the "every watch has a watchmaker, etc." fallacy myself. Luckily for me I am what Christopher Moore calls a Beta-Male and therefore have an innate ability to know when I'm being fucked with. So I googled, and I learned.
The point I'm getting at is that even though I personally can't tell you how all of these animals evolved these specialized traits, it is highly likely that somebody can. And if nobody knows the answer, somebody will soon find it. It's like with Behe's favorite poster-child the bacterial flagellum. He thought he had struck gold and finally found something irreducibly complex. It didn't take long before scientists plugged that gap to.
I am sad to say that we will always be on the defensive when faced with this particular sort of challenge. The IDiots come up with a fascinating trait of some animal or plant, and we have to make a documentary explaining the evolution of said trait to them. Whilst we spend our time and resources doing that they can, with little or no effort, pull ten more "problems" out of their ass. After all, out of the millions of species on earth we only need to leave one unexplained for them to win by default. Dodgy

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
12-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Every gap of science we have, christians makes them up lol....

Science is filling in those gaps with empirical evidence Big Grin

"don't jump to conclusions until your 99%"

"dreams are the best source of creativity" me